Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 16:16   #1
BHPian

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady

Hey Guys,

Was busy for the last 4-5 days at new office hence could not post this. Please excuse.

----
So as the summer was nearing and I was setting my day offs just before I enter the new office I ask my wifey and friends about a get-together at a hill station. Everyone said yes.

I started planning and COORG & CMG were the places we could go with everyone due to logistics. As usual I start my research with T-BHP and come to conclusion on where to stay at both the locations and when I was about to pay, received confirmed calls from friends that they are not able to make it

Hence only we are left out, but I was damn sure to make this trip only that I changed location to Munnar and Thekkady. This is my first trip to these locations and wifey's second. I was trying to make this happen earlier, could not do so for many reasons.

Once the location is finalized, as usual again research started in T-BHP and finalized the hotels to stay. Thanks to all who helped me here.

We were supposed to leave Saturday early morning by 4:00 AM but were both stuck in office till 10:00 PM. Finally reached home packed and slept, surprisingly well.

The moment we start it rains, I am not sure about the relationship my Shine and Rain have, every trip I made no matter what time of year, it rains the morning I start.

Started from home by 4:45 and our long dreamt journey is on its way

Some teaser's to enjoy, will continue to post the rest -
Attached Thumbnails
SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010037.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010049.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010105.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5020155.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5020187.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5040411.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5040443.jpg  

Old 11th May 2010, 16:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wish it rains every time we start our journeys too! Alas, it's the blazing sun!
Nice teaser pics.
IMO, The last pic if composed little better would have been wallpaper material!
Old 12th May 2010, 11:12   #3
BHPian

We get onto the GST road cursing rain to spoil Shine's beauty and the moment I am at Vandalur we see a huge line of vehicles blocking, slowly we cut through and move along and come to the first toll gate. I ask the toll guy is it raining throughout and he says yes, I was sure that all the time I wanted in the evening at Munnar is going waste due to this rain.

Once we are at Ulundurpet toll, there is a new AryaNivas veg restaurant, a very neat place with good food. we were early but hungry.

we crossed trichy by-pass by 9:45 and were at Madurai by pass by 11:15, stopped at a bunk asking for routes. He guides me into city through some route and I am stuck moving through small lanes and a heavy traffic. By the time we came out of Madurai towards Theni road its already 12:30 PM. We then come to Usilampet and the road to Bodi. After 5kms I sense something is wrong with the route and we stop and ask someone, they tell us we are on a wrong road , they guide us back to Usilampet and now to the right road. Huhhhhhhh!

we were losing a lot of time which we gained in cutting Madurai in 5:30 hrs. We crossed Bodi and started towards Bodimettu. Roads are superb all throughout till here. By 2:00 we are at the checkpost to enter Kerala. At checkpost you need to pay some 20 bucks and write your details. The moment we are out of checkpost roads change :( we slowdown and pass through the forest area. Though we had slight disappointment with roads not so butter smooth, they were patchy, but the environment surrounding us kept our smiles going.

We now see the boards about Munnar and start to enjoy whats coming towards us. And again it started raining. On the way we see a huge waterfall, but the roads here are so narrow that only one vehicle can pass. Myself and a bus are stuck. Bus was ontop coming towards us and I had no choice but to reverse the car a long way down carefully. After this it was all smooth ride, we enjoyed the tea plantations and the views Munnar had to offer.

The glimpse of Club Mahindra and their room views are awesome. We finally reach Munnar 3:00 and on our way to Pothmedu. Again issues with route, there were no proper signages for OliveBrook anywhere, we keep going on the road towards Cochin which is smooth and scenic. We go past some signboards not finding anything on Olivebrook. Suddenly my wife turns back and sees something, she spotted a board from rear pointing right. Now the road is so narrow I cant take U turn, so we go down further and take the U turn, at this junction I spot the Shamrock resorts on top of the hill on the other side.

We then climb the hill and enter resort by 3:45 PM. Its a very calm and neat place. Guys who are managing were very friendly and we instantly liked everything about Shamrock.

Enough talk, some snaps -
Attached Thumbnails
SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010036.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010072.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010082.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010084.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010087.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010098.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010101.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010102.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010104.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010114-copy.jpg  

Old 12th May 2010, 12:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice snaps! How much time did you take from Theni to Munnar? I gather its a distance of about 50Km.

Also where is the resort? Main Munnar town?
Old 12th May 2010, 15:18   #5
BHPian

Where did you stay in Munnar and what were the costs? How was the service? Would you recommend it?
Old 13th May 2010, 18:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice snaps! How much time did you take from Theni to Munnar? I gather its a distance of about 50Km.

Also where is the resort? Main Munnar town?
Sorry about the delay, was stuck in office

Resort is at Pothmedu, 5kms away from Munnar town. Nice place actually to be.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:26   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see photo of Ramraj Cotton Veshtigal! I miss Tamil nadu.
Old 13th May 2010, 18:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarakv View Post
Where did you stay in Munnar and what were the costs? How was the service? Would you recommend it?
Hi Dwarak,

I stayed at Shamrock (part of olivebrook resorts).
Cost - 2300/-+ taxes for a Balcony view room. Since we asked for 3 nights he gave a 15% discount.

Service is excellent, though since its outside of the place, whatever dishes they have you will need to settle with it. Food is pricey.

I find it easy to get good food in city itself.

I will recommend it for sure.
Old 13th May 2010, 19:12   #9
BHPian

when we reached the resort we were very very hungry as we were surviving on fruits for lunch. since it was odd time we took some tea coffee and waited for veggetable pakoras, they were too fast 1 hr and my wife was on my head for food . They finally came, tasted very good. Immediately we placed order for dinner and had the same to settle for night. some snaps -
Attached Thumbnails
SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010117.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010121.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010122.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010125.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010128.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010129.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010130.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010135.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5010137.jpg  

SriSha's D'Log - Trip to Munnar & Thekkady-p5020143.jpg  

Old 13th May 2010, 19:19   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing room with an amazing view! With such a view, my wife and I would forget about dinner!
Old 13th May 2010, 19:22   #11
BHPian

Srikanth, the photo of the clouds and the waterfall is just mesmerizing. I think i will be planning for a trip to Munnar by first week of next month. Will check out Shamrock for sure.
Old 13th May 2010, 19:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

"A Room with a View" Does that ring a bell?

Nice place. Also NH45 looks very clean, nice and very bright. I have driven on the NH45 for just a mere 13Km; from Tindivanam to Mailam.

But somehow I felt it looked much better than NH7. Not that I am comparing, but I guess the fresh tar looks very inviting!
Old 13th May 2010, 20:19   #13
BHPian

Another Munnar TL, with those mesmerizing scenes! How do I hold till we got to be there! Thanks Sre for sharing. @ ElantraGT, if everything goes as per plan, we hope to be in Munnar during June 10-11, may be we can even cross somewhere. Will PM you when our plan finally freezes.
Old 13th May 2010, 20:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great pics, Sri. A trip to Munnar is long due for us too!
Old 13th May 2010, 20:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Srikanth - the views & the hues are amazing. Pics 135, 129, 128 are simply beautiful. Is Pothmedu on the way to Devikulam or Mattupetti side?

OT - But tell me something, why this thread is titled "SriSha's D'Log" instead of Srikanth's & what does that D stands for?

Last edited by aargee : 13th May 2010 at 20:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks