Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 09:15   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
When you say better ride, do you mean this from comfort point of view or handling?
+1. Ride & handling cannot really be spoken in the same breath. For handling go for the newly introduced PS4 in stock 205/55/16. However, its a sporty compound so ride will be inferior to all-rounder tyres.

When you say stance, do you mean you like more rubber? Then a taller sidewall will look better. For example, my Cruze in 205/60/16 looked much better and chunkier than my Octavia in 205/55/16. Although the former was on Goodyear Assurance and the latter on P3ST (so not strictly comparable), the Cruze ride was perceptibly more plush and cushioned.

PS3 in 225/60 is available (in BLR at least) from mid-2018 batches, so the tyre is already 2 years old, plus costs ~13K compared to the ~8.5K for 205/55.

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd June 2020 at 09:23.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:53   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
+1. Ride & handling cannot...

....to the ~8.5K for 205/55.
Quote:
When you say better ride.....

....in this size now.

My goal is to get the Quietest Tires with a 60:40 focus between Ride and Handling - that's why I am considering 215 / 55 R16.

The 225 / 50 R16 looks nice, but offers the same sidewall height as stock size.

or Should I just stick to Stock Size ?

Lastly, BlueEarth or Michelin Primacy 4ST? any views on this? or some other tire to be considered?

My running is quite low - around 650 kilometres per month.

Last edited by maglev : 3rd June 2020 at 17:54.
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:21   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post

Lastly, BlueEarth or Michelin Primacy 4ST? any views on this? or some other tire to be considered?

I would recommend stock size P4ST. They have the right balance between comfort and handling. I had these (it was P3ST then) in the Jetta before the Pilot Sports. They were awesome.

I have the P4ST on my Polo GT as well and love them.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 21:19   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
My goal is to get the Quietest Tires with a 60:40 focus between Ride and Handling - that's why I am considering 215 / 55 R16.

The 225 / 50 R16 looks nice, but offers the same sidewall height as stock size.

My running is quite low - around 650 kilometres per month.
What did you get? I need to replace Michelin p3st. Anyone here using blueearth?
Old 21st August 2020, 12:08   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
I need to replace Michelin p3st.
Why not the Pilot Sports 4 in stock 205/55/16? Newly introduced by Michelin India, highly acclaimed for it's sporty nature and relatively cheap too at 8.5K.
https://www.michelin.in/auto/browse-...sion/205/55/16

The 225/50/16 is the last-gen Pilot Sports 3, probably old stock & far more expensive at 13K.
https://www.michelin.in/auto/browse-...sion/225/50/16

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st August 2020 at 12:09.
Old 30th August 2020, 19:30   #156

I have a Jetta MT highline, i am using stock size tyre 205 55 R16 and want to change it after running it for around 35,000 kms.

Please suggest among below options, considering ride quality ( handling & comfort) and if some Ground Clearance can be improved especially for Mumbai roads.

1. Michelin primacy 4 : 205 55 R16
2. Michelin Pilot Sports 4 : 205 55 R16
3. Michelin primacy 3 : 215 55 R16 (Mid 2018 stock)
4. Michelin primacy 4 : 205 60 R16

The prices for all 4 options are appx 8000/- per tyre.

Requesting your own experiences and suggestions

Regards
Lokesh
Old 7th September 2020, 13:45   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pinkcity View Post
I have a Jetta MT highline, i am using stock size tyre 205 55 R16 and want to change it after running it for around 35,000 kms.

Please suggest among below options, considering ride quality ( handling & comfort) and if some Ground Clearance can be improved especially for Mumbai roads.

Regards
Lokesh
I have done 60k on Primacy 3 ST 205/55 R16 [total around 105k]. Still feel I can get another 5k. Could have got more if I had done regular wheel rotations. Only praises. Havent faced any issues. Just 1 puncture.
ahmed26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 19:27   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pinkcity View Post

Regards

Lokesh

I used Primacy 3ST on my octavia in the same size for 68,000km and replaced them with Primacy 4ST in the same stock size of 205/55/16 and they are equally silent and good if not better. You'd easily get the Primacy 4ST in stock size and a fresher piece too and that's what I would highly recommend if you are sticking to the stock size.

From the upgrades suggested by you, I would recommend the size 225/50/16 (zero error) and getting the available Michelin in that size.

Cheers
Rohan
Old 11th October 2020, 11:51   #159
BHPian

Hi Forum,

Need some quick feedback for the tyre change on my 2015 Jetta.

First a quick word about my circumstances. I am contemplating a move abroad, so my Jetta might be up for sale Q2-2021 or Q2-2022.

The car recently had its 5th servicing last month, and the advisor told me the tread on the tyres is gone, the car has done 45k Kms so far.

So I need your advice on the following:

1. Considering the fact that I will be selling the car in the next 1-2 years, is it worth spending on the tyres at this juncture? Would it help with the resale? Also I have a Goa vacation coming up in November, so safe drive on that trip is also nagging at the back of my mind.

2. Assuming I do go for the tyre change, I got the following options from the tyre dealers I visited yesterday, for the stock size 205/55/R16:

a. Bridgestone c290 - 7700 per tyre.
b. Continental MC5 - 7600 per tyre.
c. Yokohama Earth1 - 6800 per tyre.
d. Yokohama BluEarth - 6950 per tyre.

Can you please recommend which one of the above would be a good fit for me? My mileage is not too much, but we do go for long drives (> 60km) almost every other weekend around Pune. So safety, ride handling and comfort are paramount.

Also I could not find any dealer who can source Michelin P4ST which was my first choice. Can people in Pune point me to some tyre dealers? Also is it advisable considering my personal circumstances and the cost?

And lastly, do I only go for the tyres? Or should I look for a deal with valve included etc, I am pretty much a novice here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by harryputtar : 11th October 2020 at 12:06.
Old 24th November 2020, 13:55   #160

#Cross posting this as it is related to wheels.

Hello All,

I would appreciate some advice on the below.

I own a 2014 VW Jetta HL manual TDI. It has clocked ~90K on the ODO. Recently I found out that 2 of my alloys have a bend on them. I do know someone in Pune who claims that they can be repaired. I would like to know if anyone has had their alloys repaired and what was their experience like?

Also if I want to replace them, should I go the OEM route? Do aftermarket alloys affect performance or cause problems to components like the steering rack or the tie rod ends?

I do not plan to upgrade, will go with the stock size if I decide to replace them.
Old 24th November 2020, 18:34   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay_Rebel View Post

Hello All,

I own a 2014 VW Jetta HL manual TDI. It has clocked ~90K on the ODO. Recently I found out that 2 of my alloys have a bend on them. I do know someone in Pune who claims that they can be repaired. I would like to know if anyone has had their alloys repaired and what was their experience like?

Also if I want to replace them, should I go the
Am in the same boat. I have been advised not to repair them. I have no intention of upsizing and will stay with 16". The only issue is that 16" options are very limited.
Old 24th November 2020, 18:44   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am in the same boat. I have been advised not to repair them. I have no intention of upsizing and will stay with 16". The only issue is that 16" options are very limited.
Yeah that's true as well. I have checked with VW and the OEM wheels cost a whopping 23500 INR per piece in Pune here. I think I will start an RD for a year and get it repaired in the meanwhile If I come across any decent alloys I will pass them on to you as well.
Akshay_Rebel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:23   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah that's true as well. I have checked with VW and the OEM wheels cost a whopping 23500 INR per piece in Pune here. I think I will start an RD for a year and get it repaired in the meanwhile If I come across any decent alloys I will pass them on to you as well.
Before repairing, explore the option of balancing the wheel. If the bend is very small, it can be balanced with counterweights. Three of the alloys in my BMW 3GT were bent. The bends were small that it was possible to balance all the wheels and they ran absolutely fine without any wobble even at speeds of 120. I ran them with these balance weights till I could source BBS alloy wheels and then replaced them.

So, give a try with balancing before you repair them.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 21:31   #164

Quote:
Before repairing, explore the option of balancing the wheel. If the bend is very small, it can be balanced with counterweights. Three of the alloys in my BMW 3GT were bent. The bends were small that it was possible to balance all the wheels and they ran absolutely fine without any wobble even at speeds of 120. I ran them with these balance weights till I could source BBS alloy wheels and then replaced them.

So, give a try with balancing before you repair them.
Yes that is a good solution. At the moment that is what I am doing. Infact did a Pune-Nagpur-Pune drive just last week with the wheels balanced. In the short patch of good road where I could go upto 125 kmph I didnt feel any wobble which I could before.

Could you let me know your thoughts on after market alloys please? Are you happy with BBS? How much do they cost in India?
Old 29th November 2020, 18:32   #165

Quote:

Hello All,

Also if I want to replace them, should I go the OEM route? Do aftermarket alloys affect performance or cause problems to components like the steering rack or the tie rod ends?

I do not plan to upgrade, will go with the stock size if I decide to replace them.
Hi, there is a alloy repair expert in Thane, Mumbai who does quality work without heating the alloy. I hv got my two alloy of my jetta repaired, post which I can easily managed higher triple digits on expressway. You can reached out to Yashodhan at 9819000581.
Mr_Pinkcity is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks