Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2018, 19:22   #136
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sorry for my bad. Did not follow the thread. Should have done that...
Old 11th March 2018, 11:20   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Here is a comparision between the two sizes.

Attachment 1572860

There are two issues with 205/60/R16.

First, there is a 3.2% error in circumference. This will result in the same error in speedometer and odometer. For example, when you are doing 100kph, the MID will show 96.8kph. Also when you have actually covered 100kms, the odometer will show 96.8km.

Second, there is a 9.1% increase in sidewall height. Though this will increase the ground clearance and comfort, this will also result in higher sidewall flex which will adversely affect handling. Jetta is an excellent handler in corners. The increased sidewall thickness will affect this cornering ability.

If comfort is your main criteria, then it may be ok to go with 205/60, but if handling is important to you, you should totally avoid 205/60. I am not sure if there are any other advantages/disadvantages due to the increased sidewall.

My opinion is 3.2% increase in circumference is too much and you should stick to 205/55/R16.
Valid points as above. But 205/60R16 will improve the ride comfort of the Jetta greatly, this is due to the higher sidewall flexing length available (hence better cushioning). On the flip side, I expect the fuel consumption to increase somewhat. If ride comfort is important , you can go in for this . But if performance and handling is important, definitely do not go for this change.
If you do fit the 60series tyres, I would look to your feedback. I may be try the same change in my Jetta to improve the ride of my Jetta.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:52   #138
BHPian

Has one tried Yokohoma Earth 1 on their jetta (205/55 R16)? Time to change my stock after 40K kms and I am getting good prices for yokohoma (7300 per tyre). The other option is michelin P3ST which costs more than 9K and conti MC5 at around 8.5K
Not a very aggressive driver. Leaning more towards comfort, less noise and less prone to punctures and driving in blore's notoriously pothole infested roads.
Old 1st July 2018, 09:04   #139
BHPian

Recently changed the tires on my Jetta TSI to Michellin Primacy 3 ST from Pal Tires, Mumbai. It was a satisfying experience at Pal Tires. Good rates, and prompt and professional service.

I am familiar with the P3ST as had them earlier on my Optra Magnum. Good and safe choice. Improved ride, low noise, descent grip. However, they are a bit more prone to punctures.

B.t.w. I am happy that I stuck to the original profile. Jetta has excellent handling, and I.M.H.O. an upsize would have had an adverse effect on that. Realized it during my recent long drives from Mumbai to Vizag and then around Vizag.

Last edited by acemanhiflier : 1st July 2018 at 09:27.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:05   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Has one tried Yokohoma Earth 1 on their jetta (205/55 R16)? Time to change my stock after 40K kms and I am getting good prices for yokohoma (7300 per tyre). The other option is michelin P3ST which costs more than 9K and conti MC5 at around 8.5K
Not a very aggressive driver. Leaning more towards comfort, less noise and less prone to punctures and driving in blore's notoriously pothole infested roads.
No idea about the Earth 1 but don't forget the new MRF Perfinza which is even cheaper at around 7k/tyre.
Old 13th September 2018, 23:24   #141
Senior - BHPian

VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys,

I need some immediate help. I will like to go for Momo revenge 17 inch alloys, and Momo/Michelin PS4 R50, 225.

QQ - In case I do decide to upgrade to R17, is 225, R50 too big a tyre size for Jetta, and thus I should stick to R45?

Else, I stick to 16 inch alloys, and then go for R50 Michelin PS4?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 13th September 2018 at 23:26.
Old 17th September 2018, 22:37   #142
BHPian

Does anyone know if Michelin is still selling the PS3s in India? I've tried searching for them in Bangalore but have not yet come across a single dealer who has them in stock. Even though the A-drives on my car have some tread left, they are making a LOT of noise when speed is in excess of 100 kmph. So much so that I am not even able to have a conversation with fellow passengers without raising my voice!
Old 1st October 2018, 16:51   #143
BHPian

A much awaited wheel swap. Mercedes Benz A-Class 17 Inch OEM Wheels with Michelin Pilot Preceda for the humble VW Jetta TDi. The wheels have same 112 PCD, nylon hub-center rings 66.6MM - 57.1MM makes sure these stay on the hub!
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20180930_10402301.jpeg  

RevJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 18:35   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJ View Post
A much awaited wheel swap. Mercedes Benz A-Class 17 Inch OEM Wheels with Michelin Pilot Preceda for the humble VW Jetta TDi. The wheels have same 112 PCD, nylon hub-center rings 66.6MM - 57.1MM makes sure these stay on the hub!
That looks cool. What is the tyre size here? I tried 17" 225 R50 Michelin PS4, and it touches the tyre well when the car is fully loaded. I was hoping that it'll work - but, it didn't
Old 13th November 2018, 16:58   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
That looks cool. What is the tyre size here? I tried 17" 225 R50 Michelin PS4, and it touches the tyre well when the car is fully loaded. I was hoping that it'll work - but, it didn't
I am running on 225/45 R17, took a few rides fully loaded, nothing scraped while turning or while navigating humps. So i suggest the same tire size.
RevJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 22:50   #146
BHPian

Does anyone have any information on the MXV4’s from Michelin? My father has been to a tire dealer recently and they recommended choosing MXV4 over P3ST. Honestly this was the first time I ever heard about this model. After looking at the description from tirerack.com I am confused as it describes it exactly similar to the P3ST model.

Last edited by Amarendranath : 28th December 2018 at 22:55.
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:59   #147
BHPian

Hey guys,

Our recently acquired jetta is currently running on the Bridgestone B290’s, courtesy of the dealer who we got it from. The tyre has run >100 km, so it’s practically new. I got to know from the Jetta review thread that the B290’s are inferior to the stock NCT5’s. After reading about the Primacy 4ST’s, I decided to get the tyres changed as we’re getting a good deal on the bridgestones’.

We usually get Michelin’s eyes closed, but now I’m more concerned as the primacy’s are more prone to punctures compared to the continental MC5’s-which the tyre dealer is suggesting us to go with. Our main requirements are driving comfort, good grip and low tyre noise. Goes without saying, we intend to get the 205/55 R16.

What do y’all think?

Cheers
Old 4th December 2019, 01:44   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinay23 View Post
Hey guys,

Our recently acquired jetta is currently running on the Bridgestone B290’s, courtesy of the dealer who we got it from. The tyre has run >100 km, so it’s practically new. I got to know from the Jetta review thread that the B290’s are inferior to the stock NCT5’s. After reading about the Primacy 4ST’s, I decided to get the tyres changed as we’re getting a good deal on the bridgestones’.

We usually get Michelin’s eyes closed, but now I’m more concerned as the primacy’s are more prone to punctures compared to the continental MC5’s-which the tyre dealer is suggesting us to go with. Our main requirements are driving comfort, good grip and low tyre noise. Goes without saying, we intend to get the 205/55 R16.

What do y’all think?

Cheers
Get Michelin P4STs. These are the tyres which will suit your requirements the best. Using P3STs on my Jetta for the past 35,000km now and only faced a single puncture till date.

Road noise has gone up marginally but I think it's more to do with age then the Tyre itself. The Goodyears I had were unbearable at this point and had to be changed. The Michelins look good for another 10-15K km atleast.

If you want a good compromise between durability, ride quality and road noise, get the P4STs. They are even better than the P3STs as far as I reckon though they have a very similar tread pattern.
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:53   #149
BHPian

My Jetta 2.0 TDI (MT) is due for a tyre change. The original Goodyear Eagle NCT 5s have done about 45K.

Am considering upsizing to 215 / 55 R16 - seeking a slightly better ride and improved stance. Any views / opinions on this tyre size?

Brands being considered are Yokohama BlueEarth AE50 or Michelin Primacy 4ST.
Old 3rd June 2020, 05:41   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post

Am considering upsizing to 215 / 55 R16 - seeking a slightly better ride and improved stance. Any views / opinions on this tyre size?
When you say better ride, do you mean this from comfort point of view or handling? If you are looking from handling point of view then 215/55 has a higher sidewall and will not give you better handling. But the higher sidewall can give you more ride comfort. A higher sidewall will definitely not improve the stance. This will increase the ride height.

If you are looking to improve handling and stance, then the 225/50/R16 will be the correct size. A few years back, I had upgraded to 225/50/R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 in my Jetta and there was a good improvement in handling. I think Piolot Sport 3ST is available in this size now.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks