Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 08:24   #1681
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu_exodus View Post
Are 195/60 R14 a good upgrade ?

I wonder whether they offer better grip or does the ride become too harsh.

On a tyre a upsize calculator that I used I found the difference to be more than 2% over the 185/79 R14.
195/60R14 is an incorrect size, while 195/60R15 is perfect upgrade size for the new ZXi/ZDi. I think it was a typo in KarthikK's post when he mentioned 195/60R14. If you want 195, only option is to go for 195/65R14 Yoko. If you are particular about XM2 on 14" alloys, 185/70R14 is the only option as per my knowledge.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:03   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys need your inputs on new tyres for my Swift VDi.

Currently I have 185/70 R14 Bridgestones Potenza GIII on my car. The front ones were replaced at 55K kms and now the rear ones are due replacement now, at 80,000 kms. I am not sure whether I should go for Bridgestones itself or should look at MRF ZLO or Apollo Acceleres. The new ones will go into the front wheels while the 15K done tyres will be moved to back.

My doubts are:

1. Can we mix two different brands for the front & back?
2. Can we have a mix of uni-directional tyres (Potenza GIII) and normal tyres?

The road noise on the Bridgestones are quite prominent above 80 kmph, but then I do NOT want tyres with soft side wall as well (So Michelin ruled out). The roads I usually travel thru, can be quite messy (though it's good for the time being) and I want something which can last well thru bad road conditions.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th January 2013 at 21:05.
Old 19th January 2013, 22:32   #1683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Currently I have 185/70 R14 Bridgestones Potenza GIII on my car. The front ones were replaced at 55K kms and now the rear ones are due replacement now, at 80,000 kms. I am not sure whether I should go for Bridgestones itself or should look at MRF ZLO or Apollo Acceleres. The new ones will go into the front wheels while the 15K done tyres will be moved to back.

My doubts are:

1. Can we mix two different brands for the front & back?
2. Can we have a mix of uni-directional tyres (Potenza GIII) and normal tyres?

The road noise on the Bridgestones are quite prominent above 80 kmph, but then I do NOT want tyres with soft side wall as well (So Michelin ruled out). The roads I usually travel thru, can be quite messy (though it's good for the time being) and I want something which can last well thru bad road conditions.
NEVER install new tyres in the front. It is a traditional mentality to install new tyres at the front but a quick google search will tell you that it is technically wrong.

1. You can but it is not advisable as grip levels and handling characteristics of the tyres will vary.
2. Theoretically you can but see my reply to 1.

If you have to buy only 2 tyres, stick to Bridgestone GIIIs. If you are ready to sell the 15k run tyres on the open market/TBHP classifieds, then go for 4 new tyres of ZLO or Acelere or whatever else your heart desires!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 23:12   #1684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
NEVER install new tyres in the front. It is a traditional mentality to install new tyres at the front but a quick google search will tell you that it is technically wrong...
Thanks a lot Nikhil. Found this on Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
...then go for 4 new tyres of ZLO or Acelere or whatever else your heart desires!
Out of ZLO / Acelere, what would you prefer? And waht could be the price difference for the same spec on these two?

Is there any website which gives the BEST possible combinations of upsizes / upgrades if we input the stock tyre size? All the sites I checked need the current tyre size & ALSO the new ones (which you plan to upsize/upgrade) and then it shows the differences. For a newbie, this causes so much discomfort.

Ideally, I would like a site to suggest me the best available upgrades if I input my stock tyre size.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th January 2013 at 23:17.
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:26   #1685
Distinguished - BHPian

I would personally choose MRF ZLO. Price difference between MRF and Apollo are marginal.
Old 25th January 2013, 23:41   #1686
Distinguished - BHPian

Finalised Z.L.O and placed an order for the tyres. While checking out the thread pattern and talking to the guy there, he mentioned an interesting point on Z.L.O! He said it's better used "like" a uni-directional tyres for BEST performance + low tyre noise. The tyres are normal (universal / bi-directional rotation capable) but he said the slanting thread pattern should be pointed inwards from both sides to direct water towards the inner under-body for grip.

He also showed me a sticker from MRF mentioning "Outside" on the side which should be placed on the outer side always. Now would NOT this make sure the outer side wears off faster? I am a guy who always corners the car than reduce speed at curves and it always shows on the outer walls of my front tyre! It's INTO my DNA now (can't think of changing it) & that's why I love my Swift too!

How can we ensure there is "even wear" on the tyres now? From what I understand, even the rear tyres will have the sides (outer & inner) fixed always!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th January 2013 at 23:44.
Old 26th January 2013, 00:43   #1687
BHPian

Quote:

How is it 15k done? Should be 25k right?
Old 26th January 2013, 07:44   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finalised Z.L.O and placed an order for the tyres. While checking out the thread pattern and talking to the guy there, he mentioned an interesting point on Z.L.O! He said it's better used "like" a uni-directional tyres for BEST performance + low tyre noise. The tyres are normal (universal / bi-directional rotation capable) but he said the slanting thread pattern should be pointed inwards from both sides to direct water towards the inner under-body for grip.

He also showed me a sticker from MRF mentioning "Outside" on the side which should be placed on the outer side always. Now would NOT this make sure the outer side wears off faster? I am a guy who always corners the car than reduce speed at curves and it always shows on the outer walls of my front tyre! It's INTO my DNA now (can't think of changing it) & that's why I love my Swift too!

How can we ensure there is "even wear" on the tyres now? From what I understand, even the rear tyres will have the sides (outer & inner) fixed always!
From what I've heard, slanting tread pattern pointing inwards on both sides would make the side marked "Outside" actually come on the inside sidewall for one side since they do not have separate left side and right side tyres.

Controversial tread pattern of ZLO has been discussed in the ZLO thread, from Pg 3 or so.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-tyres-15.html

I don't remember how the discussion concluded though. Its an interesting read, especially when you are planning to get ZLO.

Last edited by zenren : 26th January 2013 at 08:06.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:42   #1689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
...Controversial tread pattern of ZLO has been discussed in the ZLO thread, from Pg 3 or so.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-tyres-15.html

I don't remember how the discussion concluded though. Its an interesting read, especially when you are planning to get ZLO.
Read thru the entire thread last night (or early morning?!)! There is NO definite conclusion as such, but the users are quite happy with the tyres. So I guess, I will give it a try.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:56   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read thru the entire thread last night (or early morning?!)! There is NO definite conclusion as such, but the users are quite happy with the tyres. So I guess, I will give it a try.
Good luck. How much did it cost?

Looking forward to your feedback on wet weather performance of ZLO.
Old 26th January 2013, 11:14   #1691
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good luck. How much did it cost?

Looking forward to your feedback on wet weather performance of ZLO.
Will be mostly buying it today. Here I have posted the entire stage 1 experience. Please do have a look. I have posted the prices of other brands too!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3024985

We will have to wait for the wet performance for a long time - but will definitely update. With the feedbacks / discussions, I am likely to be more cautious during the rains. But the guy in the shop said this has terrific wet grip!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th January 2013 at 11:16.
Old 8th February 2013, 17:45   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am a big zilch when it comes to tyre knowledge.I know a lot about cars though...Methinks

Anyway, my Swift VXi, which has given me company since Jan 2006, needs tyre change. It has 15 inch alloys and currently wears Bridgestone Ponteza 195/R 60 I think.

What would be the right size and fit for it? Pleas ealso suggest a few good tyres. I don't want:

1. Anything on the expensive side. The car is already 7 yrs of age. I want something that is easy on the wallet. I am not brand conscious in tyres I guess (I am not buying a BMW here)
2. Anything that makes the already harsh ride harsher.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th February 2013 at 17:53.
Old 9th February 2013, 09:38   #1693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

Anyway, my Swift VXi, which has given me company since Jan 2006, needs tyre change. It has 15 inch alloys and currently wears Bridgestone Ponteza 195/R 60 I think.

What would be the right size and fit for it? Pleas ealso suggest a few good tyres. I don't want:
195/60/R15 would be the ideal choice. There are may brands to choose from. I personally like Yokohama since it satisfies all my expectations. Excellent grip, relatively less road noise and long life. My first lasted 45k kms and had 5k of life left. A bit expensive when compared to other brands. Always check the tyre manufacturing date before you buy. Anything less than 1 year from the manufacturing date would be fine.
Old 9th February 2013, 12:27   #1694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

1. Anything on the expensive side. The car is already 7 yrs of age. I want something that is easy on the wallet. I am not brand conscious in tyres I guess (I am not buying a BMW here)
2. Anything that makes the already harsh ride harsher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
195/60/R15 would be the ideal choice. There are may brands to choose from. I personally like Yokohama since it satisfies all my expectations. Excellent grip, relatively less road noise and long life. My first lasted 45k kms and had 5k of life left. A bit expensive when compared to other brands. Always check the tyre manufacturing date before you buy. Anything less than 1 year from the manufacturing date would be fine.
If Yokohama, and it is 60 profile as I see, try the C.Drive. Great wet grip and cushy ride.
Old 10th February 2013, 21:54   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
I'm yet to see a good explanation mentioning the difference between a 'J' rim and a 'JJ' rim.
"J" and "JJ" denote the codes for rim flange

Ref #3 in this post, to get some visual perception.

Then look at this post to see implications of flange height variation on the tyre bead size.

Then finally look at this post, to see the actual flange dimensions corresponding to "J", "JJ", etc.
gsbhatia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed