Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 13:05   #1711
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi team-bhpians.. I changed the tyres on my swift vdi abs(2010) 3 weeks back. My stock tyres lasted 58k km and was still capable of doing 2k to 3k km. After all a good ROI that my driving style fetched me. I switched to a set of 4 Michelin energy xm2 - 185-70-R-14. Had got a new set of alloys too... Will post the pics shortly. Tyres costed 4.5k per tyre totaling to 18k for tyres (Lal tyres, chennai). Alloys costed 12k for 4 pieces. I did not intend to go for alloys but after all, i am human being and fortunately a car enthusiastic folk..

My view on the combination of Michelin energy xm2 with 185-70-R-14 on swift vdi type 2 - The tyres worth the money you shed on them. Ultra silent, realy ultra silent. (switching from 58k km ran tyres to new ones boosts the feeing of silence like anything - another free fruit that we get on changing tyres close to its end of life). I am still under testing for optimum tyre pressure and I would love if someone can suggest me the best pressure that I can set so as to reduce my testing period . 99.99% i dive single handed, always only me - only me (till I am married). As of now, tested 30(all 4 tyres) - very harsh ride, 29(all 4 tyres) - fine but still harsh ride on bumpy roads. Going to try 28 on all 4 tyres or 29 on front and 26 on rear on the next check after 2 week. No notrogen, just the usual on.
Road Grip - very good - but since there is ABS on my swift, breaking is always a cake walk at any speeds and handling - excellent - I felt the difference unlike the usual 'just the feeling' that I really thought it was. Did a 900km round trip last week (Chennai - Madurai - Chennai) and was so happy that I missed this earlier by changing tyres so late though the tred was acceptably ok on the old tyres.

Overall - Excellent road grip, excellent tyre noise control - ultra silent, excellent handling and last but not least - great looks adding a masculine character to my car.

P.S. I had continental conti 3 as the first preference which costed 4.7k per tyre, Rs. 200 more than Michelin Energy XM2. On research I got to know that continental conti 3 is of harder component than Michelin Energy XM2 but the Lal folks are telling that conti 3 will be worn out faster than Michelin Energy XM2 - I am not too sure on this though. But to my surprise, infact to any one's surprise, the same 185-70-R-14 of the Michelin Energy XM2 was almost close to 2 cm wider than the same sized Conti 3. So the verdict is - i have used only Michelin Enegy XM2 and it is simply great.

The only bitter yet acceptable thing - Fuel Consumption - FE dropped from 21/22 KMPL on hightways to 20 KMPL and in city - mix of early morning curize + bumper to bumper traffic - is still fluctuating between 15 and 17 leaving no or negligible impact due to the tyre change .

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th May 2013 at 01:40. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post allowed, please read forum rules carefully before proceeding further, thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 19:43   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Hi team-bhpians.. I am still under testing for optimum tyre pressure and I would love if someone can suggest me the best pressure that I can set so as to reduce my testing period . 99.99% i dive single handed, always only me - only me (till I am married). As of now, tested 30(all 4 tyres) - very harsh ride, 29(all 4 tyres) - fine but still harsh ride on bumpy roads. Going to try 28 on all 4 tyres or 29 on front and 26 on rear on the next check after 2 week. No notrogen, just the usual on.
I feel 30 all round should be perfect for 185/70/14 tyre. Even Maruti recommends 32/30 for this tyre size.
If you are finding the ride harsh even on that, then I think just get the suspensions checked once , the bushes might have worn out .
I am using 31/30 for 195/60/15 tyre on my ritz diesel .

Cheers
Old 25th April 2013, 00:16   #1713
BHPian

Bhai log, the Michelins on my Swift VDi have already done 42K kms and are nearing end of life. During recent tyre rotation, the tyre guy suggested tyres will last another 5K or max 10K kms if I really stretch them. The problem is, now as the tyres are getting worn out, my old punctures have started leaking (happened twice), and then they have to apply the mushroom puncture seal from inside to seal them - getting problamatic now!

Now, which tyre should I consider for replacement - stick with Michelin (XM2 this time), or try something like Yoko A-Drives? And how is the XM2 compared to XM1+ in terms of comfort/tyre noise? Any experiences on Yokos for comfort & life span?
Old 25th April 2013, 07:35   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by "asethi;3103938"

Now, which tyre should I consider for replacement - stick with Michelin (XM2 this time), or try something like Yoko A-Drives? And how is the XM2 compared to XM1+ in terms of comfort/tyre noise? Any experiences on Yokos for comfort & life span?
if you are happy with Michelin , then why do you want to switch to something else.
I am sure Adrives will not be better than michelins .
Cheers
Old 25th April 2013, 20:25   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I feel 30 all round should be perfect for 185/70/14 tyre. Even Maruti recommends 32/30 for this tyre size.
If you are finding the ride harsh even on that, then I think just get the suspensions checked once , the bushes might have worn out .

Cheers
Thanks Schoudhury. Yes I am aware of the buses getting hardened. I do a stud overhauling every 20k km. I ask them to do it as it gives a good change in the way the studs action feels after the bush change and on 50k km, front suspensions were changed (Current Reading : 59k km). May be I am new to this tyre and I drive 99.99 % single and these make it tough to find the best tyre pressure that I am looking for, without harming the tyre. 29/29 is now looking good over days. Will test 29/29 again on the next fill and going to test this for a long periord. Next long drive : Chennai - Trichy - Karur - Trichy - Chennai got scheduled on coming monday . Will test it there, again only me..
Old 26th April 2013, 12:54   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
if you are happy with Michelin , then why do you want to switch to something else.
I am sure Adrives will not be better than michelins .
Cheers
Mainly because am not sure about the XM2 when compared to XM1+, I've read at many places XM2 being hard & more tyre noise compared to XM1+.
Old 26th April 2013, 14:38   #1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
And how is the XM2 compared to XM1+ in terms of comfort/tyre noise
I recently changed to XM2 after a long use of XM1+, i feel XM1+ has better road grip, handling than XM2. XM1+ also looks better and slightly wider due to its 3 channel/groove.

I will wait to see how durable XM2 are as compared to XM1+
Old 11th May 2013, 20:58   #1718
BHPian

I plan to upgrade from the stock ZVTVs to Yoko A-Drives [ 195/60 R 15 ]. Here is the quote I received from Millivisions in Bangalore -

Tyre cost - Rs 4800
Buyback - Rs 1800 (the car has run 4000 kms till now)
Net cost - Rs 3000

In addition, balancing would be necessary which would cost Rs 400. I am told that alignment is not necessary.

Please let me know your opinion on the prices quoted by Millivisions, especially the buyback price. If you recommend any other tyre dealer in Mysore / South Bangalore over Millivisions, please let me know.
Old 12th May 2013, 16:02   #1719
BHPian

Yoko AVS db Series

How are the Yoko AVS db series? The dealer [Shiv Tyres, JC Road] is pushing for these over the Yoko A-Drives. The Yoko website claims that these greatly reduce road noise. These carry a Rs 300 premium over the A-Drives.

I'm looking for a silent, comfort-oriented tyre which is also durable. Do you suggest that I stick to the cheaper A-Drives? How noisy are the A-Drives, as compared to the stock ZVTV?

PS: Mods sorry for the back to back posts. I was not able to find the "edit" option even though I was logged in
Old 18th May 2013, 09:39   #1720
BHPian

Update - I finally bought Yoko A Drives 195/60 R15. Cost me 4800/tyre. The OEM MRFs which had run 4,000 km were bought back at 2500/tyre. Wheel balancing and alignment was charged at 400. Dealer is Shiv Tyres on JC Road.

The ride has become quiet after the upgrade, especially at lower speeds. Post 80-100 kmh, the tyre roar is still plainly audible, but a notch lower than the MRF.
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:23   #1721

Hi,
I am planning to upgrade my Swift Vdi tyre.
Currently running on Goodyear on metal rim 51K.

Today my Bimal service advisory said it can go for another 5000 KM .
1.My budget is 18K to 20K
2.I use my car mostly on Bangalore Chennai Highway
3.Looking for sielnt yet FE drive.

Please advise me as I am not expert
~Siva
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:11   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
I have been experimenting with tyre pressures since a year now. Before it used to be a constant 32 in the front and 29 behind, But something always felt amiss. Tried 33 in the front and 30 behind, enjoyed for some days but then again started feeling that something was not right. The handling was just not how I wanted.

Tried, 34 and still was not happy until one day I read Sankar;s post about him filling in 38 in the front and 36 behind. Sounded like a drastic pressure change for me, so decided to go slow in increasing the pressures.

Tried 36 in the front and 33 behind and yes I run on Michelin XM2's with a 185/70/R14 tyre size and VOILA. What perfect razor sharp handling, highway manners are brilliant too, on top of that the mileage increase.

Of course, this would initially sound like I am over inflating it and the centre part would wear out sooner but no, the little bulge that appears on the side wall of the tyre is still present, the contact patch on the tyres that you notice against the extreme ends of it which do not touch the ground are in perfect limits too.

I realised that this could be due to softer side walls and hence the 32 and 33 pressure are flexing the tyre more leading to rubbery handling. Now with 36 in the front and 33 behind, its just perfect. Give it a shot guys, see if you like it or no
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:19   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Now with 36 in the front and 33 behind, its just perfect. Give it a shot guys, see if you like it or no
Now this makes sense if you are driving on good roads , but the moment you face bad roads I am sure ride quality will be on the harsher side .
So I guess, it all depends on the kind of roads you drive .
On butter smooth roads , even 38 will also not have any adverse effect .

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:00   #1724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now this makes sense if you are driving on good roads , but the moment you face bad roads I am sure ride quality will be on the harsher side .
So I guess, it all depends on the kind of roads you drive .
On butter smooth roads , even 38 will also not have any adverse effect .

Cheers
True true, over bad roads it does a little harsh but with the 32's and 33's in the front the car used to feel like its been driven on glue, a major irritant for me as I like the free wheeling feeling better than the sticky one. A recent trip to Mahabaleshwar with 36 F and 33 behind literally made the ghats appear like a race track with pin point precision steering feedbacks. Loved it.
Old 24th May 2013, 13:12   #1725
BHPian

Re: 185/70R14 Cost n Shops in B'lore.

The stock tyres on my swift VDi is due for replacement after 46K run. Please suggest me some good quality tyre of 185/70R14 profile, approx. cost and shops in B'lore.

Most Viewed