Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:37   #1741
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Have been shopping for tyre change for my Swift VXi since the last few days and narrowed down the choice to

Michelin XM2 185/70/R14
Yoko A Drive 185/70/R14

While I was more inclined towards Michelin XM2 initially, came across some mixed reviews about it in the other thread when compared to XM1+ which eventually led to this confusion

Coming on to Yoko A Drives, the overall verdict seems that it is a mix of everything including comfort, low tyre noise, durability and handling. Can anyone using Yoko A drives confirm this?

My preferences are low tyre noise, comfort, good grip and less puncture prone.

Would appreciate any inputs on this
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:04   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
Have been shopping for tyre change for my Swift VXi since the last few days and narrowed down the choice to

Michelin XM2 185/70/R14
Yoko A Drive 185/70/R14

While I was more inclined towards Michelin XM2 initially, came across some mixed reviews about it in the other thread when compared to XM1+ which eventually led to this confusion

Coming on to Yoko A Drives, the overall verdict seems that it is a mix of everything including comfort, low tyre noise, durability and handling. Can anyone using Yoko A drives confirm this?

My preferences are low tyre noise, comfort, good grip and less puncture prone.

When I bought my swift vdi I traded my mrf tyres to XM2. It's been a pleasure to drive since then. From the road grip to less tyre noise i find it fantastic. Am not sure about the Yoko drive how well they fair when compared with Michelin XM2. Had my first puncture at 14k due to a nail.
zwift1819 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 21:23   #1743
BHPian

Thanks zwift1819 for sharing your experience with Michelin XM2

Looks like its going to be Michelin XM2 then as I do not wish to compromise on ride comfort and tyre noise
Old 5th August 2013, 23:31   #1744
BHPian

Quote:

Michelin XM2 185/70/R14
Yoko A Drive 185/70/R14

Dear ZinFluent,

I have XM2's and A-drives on 2 cars right now. Both are equally good. These are my first yoko's and I have been using michelins since long. I can tell one thing for sure. The michelins per say age much more gracefully. The yoko's since they are still only 10k kms old, I can't comment. Both are good when it comes to reduced tyre noise, better grip and less puncture rates.

As far as your requirements go, you will be hard pressed to find any differences between these two. There is only one thing you should look out for. The XM2's are imported here, so generally you have 6 month old stocks with the dealers. If you are planning for the XM2's, I would strongly suggest to search for a fresher stock (I have heard that it has arrived at some dealers in south india).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 10:10   #1745
BHPian

Quote:

Michelin XM2 185/70/R14
Yoko A Drive 185/70/R14

Hi, can't do a compare, but give my two bits on the yokos. Switched to 195/60 r15 on my zdi the day I bought them and have not regretted the decision. They are quiet, and have good grip. I have now driven about 17k on mumbai's pot holed roads and nightmarish monsoons. The tyres are comfortable. Would definitely recommend them.

They have quiet a bit of tread left and I guess they should easily last 40-45k.. 50k if pushed to the last left tread.
funkyp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 20:37   #1746
BHPian

Thanks Simple_car and funkyp.

The yokos seem to be a good no-nonsense choice. Will definitely opt from fresher stock of tyres be it Michelins or Yokos
Old 14th August 2013, 14:09   #1747
BHPian

Recommended tyre pressure for 185/70

Hi Swifter's

(Coined a new term for all swift users)

Recently upgraded my Swift VDi to MRF ZLO 185/70 R14 !!

I see a lot of folks who have upsized to 185/70 R14. I have been trying to find the right pressure.

Currently 30psi seems to be the ideal tyre pressure which is a balance between ride handling / comfort.

Just wanted to check with the other folks on what pressures are being used

Thanks team
Old 14th August 2013, 14:18   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Hi Swifter's

(Coined a new term for all swift users)

Recently upgraded my Swift VDi to MRF ZLO 185/70 R14 !!

I see a lot of folks who have upsized to 185/70 R14. I have been trying to find the right pressure.

Currently 30psi seems to be the ideal tyre pressure which is a balance between ride handling / comfort.

Just wanted to check with the other folks on what pressures are being used

Thanks team
Hi csateesh,

Swifters sounds good for us :-)

I believe 185/70/R14 is the stock tyre specification unless you're talking about the latest model. What I'm saying it wouldn't be a tyre "upgrade" per se.

Either way, I'm running Michelin XM2s at 32psi. works well for me. Although, it highly depends on what kinda roads you driving on. I'm in bangalore and 32 works just fine.
Old 14th August 2013, 15:33   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
Hi csateesh,

Swifters sounds good for us :-)

I believe 185/70/R14 is the stock tyre specification unless you're talking about the latest model. What I'm saying it wouldn't be a tyre "upgrade" per se.

Either way, I'm running Michelin XM2s at 32psi. works well for me. Although, it highly depends on what kinda roads you driving on. I'm in bangalore and 32 works just fine.
No the stock for VDi was 165/80 R14

I am from BLR too the city of potholes and I drive from West Bangalore to Total Mall junction everyday through KR Puram junction..

Will try 31psi and update the thread

Cheers
Old 14th August 2013, 15:37   #1750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post

No the stock for VDi was 165/80 R14

I am from BLR too the city of potholes and I drive from West Bangalore to Total Mall junction everyday through KR Puram junction..

Will try 31psi and update the thread

Cheers
Oh yeah, I was talking abt my stock alloys on ZXI.

31 should work out well for you for daily driving. More than potholes, I despise the ergonomically disastrous speed breakers. Either way, do update.
Old 14th August 2013, 15:50   #1751
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no experience of the Yokos, except some reviews which were good enough; but I use Michelin XM1+ which are about 6-7K now and I can vouch for the quality and performance. When I changed from JK ultima to Michlin, it was like a day & night difference. The ride was so silent and comfortable. The wet & dry grips have been fantastic and I have never suffered low grip phenomena except once when I braked on some sand scattered on the road. Of course the tyres did skid & squeal since my car does not has an ABS, but that is obvious.

The negative aspect of this tyre is that it has a softer rubber compound as compared to the Bridgestones and hence, I avoid off-roading. I believe, same with yokos as they are on the softer side as well. But except for that, I am totally in love with these rubbers and my next set will be Michelins too, even on my bike.

Since, the compound is softer, I prefer to keep 1-2 psi extra air pressure so as to avoid too much sidewall flexing on our roads.
Old 14th August 2013, 16:51   #1752
BHPian

I have been using XM2s in my swift VXi since past 1 year. Pretty Satisfied with the performance. The correct tyre pressure for the size 185/70/R14 is 29psi & not 32 psi as mentioned above.

It is clearly mentioned on the 'sticker' you will find on the lower portion of the driver's side door of the swift!
akash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 12:00   #1753
BHPian

Folks - which is the best tyre for the swift in either 185x70x14 or 195x65x14?

Am looking at something that offers extraordinary dry and wet grip, great ride comfort and handling and braking. These are the primary requirements.

I have already used michelin xm1+ and yoko a drive 185x70, but not very satisfied.
Old 16th August 2013, 22:04   #1754
Distinguished - BHPian

You are asking for a perfect tyre! It doesnt exist.

1. Extraordinary grip: MRF ZLO.,

2. Great Ride Comfort: Michelin XM2/Yoko A Drive/ Acelere.

Now you have to choose between these two parameters.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 21:03   #1755
BHPian

Hi Swift owners,

My Brother in law is about to take delivery of his new Swift Zdi in a week. He is considering to change the tyres. But he is confused of swapping it to stock size or upgrade to bigger tyres.

Requirement: comfort ride, low noise, longevity

Which option will be best bet and what are tyres available in Michellin and Yokohama. Bhpians please advice.

Most Viewed