Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:08   #991
Senior - BHPian

Maxxis Tires?

Hey guys,

Talking about VFM tires; how are Maxxis Tires? Ive seen them on many cars and I believe they are cheaper than Yokos or Appolos and perform 'almost' as good as them. They have great sporty tread patterns too. Here are the links.

Maxxis Passenger Tires

High Performance
Old 5th April 2010, 11:51   #992
BHPian

I recently visited one of the tyre shops in Hyderabad (Miyapur) just to inquire about the Swift tyres since the stock tyres are due replacement. He showed me three brands, Michelins Energy XM+ at 3900 for each, then Bridgestone Potenza's at 3600 and Yokohomas A drive at 3200. I checked the Michelins side wall was too soft. He promised that the life would be around 50K and the drive will be smooth and less noisy. I just wanted to know if there would be significant roll with the soft side wall. I couldn't sample the Yoko's as they were at warehouse.

I have another query, I gave my car for service today and I complained that there was a constant whine when I crossed the 60KMPH mark. The technician said it was due to worn out rubber at the rear. I was of the opinion that it was the engine which was making the sound. He told me if you hear the whine after changing to new rubbers then it should be from bearing. It seems that the rear wheel alignment can be done for the rear wheels on swift, but it is considered if that has deviated by good margin. I will post my WA report once the car comes back. May be experts can comment on this.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:01   #993
vsh
BHPian

i have upgraded the tyres of my swift dzire to yokohama a drives-185/70 r14. tyre cost rs 3250 each. fitting alignment done at rs700. thanks to all bhpians who guided me in this regard.
initial report- done 300km so far and really feels better. car seems more planted on road.
Old 5th April 2010, 21:36   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
fitting alignment done at rs700.
That's expensive man. You should have spoken to the shop owner before hand They usually charges you for wheel balancing only. When I got the tyres swapped, he charged me 300 for wheel balancing (I refused initially, later gave in as he was adamant and I had no choice left as my tyres were already removed)
Old 5th April 2010, 22:10   #995
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
That's expensive man. You should have spoken to the shop owner before hand They usually charges you for wheel balancing only. When I got the tyres swapped, he charged me 300 for wheel balancing (I refused initially, later gave in as he was adamant and I had no choice left as my tyres were already removed)
i had enquired already and it is the usual rate in DAVANGERE. moreover i was in a hurry to finish it on the holiday itself(2nd april), as in my town sirsi you cant get those tyres.
Old 5th April 2010, 22:57   #996
BHPian

Quote:
i have upgraded the tyres of my swift dzire to yokohama a drives-185/70 r14. tyre cost rs 3250 each. fitting alignment done at rs700. thanks to all bhpians who guided me in this regard.
initial report- done 300km so far and really feels better. car seems more planted on road.
700 is expensive.

Here, in Chandigarh, tyre shops dont charge any labor charges + alignment, balancing, weights, spray painting calipers / drums (red/black/silver) and nitrogen are free.
These are almost granted, you don't even need to ask for these.
Old 6th April 2010, 10:43   #997

@vrrraju: I had the same issue of whine and it is not due to tyres. I have replaced both the rear wheel bearings under warranty. No sound after that.
Old 7th April 2010, 18:23   #998
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
700 is expensive.

Here, in Chandigarh, tyre shops dont charge any labor charges + alignment, balancing, weights, spray painting calipers / drums (red/black/silver) and nitrogen are free.
These are almost granted, you don't even need to ask for these.
big city guys have all the facilities .
i even did not get nitrogen in davangere. i have to fill it up when i visit hubli.
whats the use of nitrogen and is it ok to run without nitrogen?
Old 8th April 2010, 02:40   #999
BHPian

Tomorrow(Friday) i iplan to switch tyre for bridgestone or michelin. Please let me know price details 185/70/14, because the dealers said after April the price has increased, Please clarify. How much tyre pressure can i keep for full load of vehicle also normal load.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:00   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.sidhes View Post
Tomorrow(Friday) i iplan to switch tyre for bridgestone or michelin. Please let me know price details 185/70/14, because the dealers said after April the price has increased, Please clarify. How much tyre pressure can i keep for full load of vehicle also normal load.
Yes , Last thursday took delivery of my swift vdi and got the tyres changed on friday.
Did it at Lal Enterprises. Was quoted 4k per tyre after price rise. But because I spoke to him earlier and since I know him managed to get the tyre for 3850(original price) . Exchanged my MRF 99kms run tyres for the Michelin Energy XM1+ 185 70/r14 on the steel rims.
So the deal was :
(3850-1800)*5=10250. Manged to finish it for 10k with balancing and Nitrogen.
I thought it was a real good deal.

And currently there is some problem with the import of michelin tyres so most shops in chennai dont have stock of them. Find out before you go. Siremull didn't have.
AM really happy with the XM1+ tyres.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:48   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
big city guys have all the facilities .
i even did not get nitrogen in davangere. i have to fill it up when i visit hubli.
whats the use of nitrogen and is it ok to run without nitrogen?
Nitrogen is supposed to keep tyres cooler than normal air. Dont worry, it should not make any difference.
Its ok to run without nitrogen because thats what more than 99% of the people do. The cost associated with nitrogen doesnt make sense.

Last edited by srishiva : 8th April 2010 at 07:49.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:45   #1002
BANNED

but we have lots of complaints written about the soft sidewall of XM1+ and that its more prone to get damaged on bad roads.
Old 9th April 2010, 14:48   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
but we have lots of complaints written about the soft sidewall of XM1+ and that its more prone to get damaged on bad roads.
For normal driving either in city or highway, the tyres are superb. I've been driving on these for last ~10K kms, and no issues at all. Roads in Bangalore are not amongst the best in India and you find all sorts of roads, from good to almost non-existent. And I haven't faced any problem whatsoever from these tyres. Plus the comfort and grip is unmatched.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:36   #1004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Where?

Please post exact links as to the people who have a problem with XM1+.

You are just making a generalised assumption which simply isnt true.
Old 10th April 2010, 18:01   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Momo Alloys For Swift - Which Ones?

Hi guys,

I am considering upgrading my current alloys on my 2005 Silver Swift. I am using a set of OZ Racing Canovas whic are 15" X 6.5" with a tire size of 205/55/R15. The rims are now almost 4 yrs old. The reason for changing my alloys is because my OZs have developed deep scratches due to the harsh conditions of our Mumbai roads and not as appealing as they were. I considered another set of OZs but didnt want to spend a huge amount as I will be selling the car in the next two years.

I considered alot of options as I needed an upgrade which was in par with the mighty OZs. I considered AVA wheels. I know they cannot even be compared to OZs but like a particular design and hence liked them. now, I cam across Momo alloys and fell in love with the Momo Strike specifically because their design makes the wheel appear larger than they actually are. They are available in two colours i.e. Silver & Black. I am particularly inclined towards the silver colour. I am also thinking of going in for 16" as the wheel would look bigger.

Need your suggestion on the colour of rims and size for my silver Swift. Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-momo-strike-silver.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-momo-strike-black.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks