Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 14:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123
Will talk to RR workshop too and find out what caused the problem.
I hope they will have a logic to the cause. It will be an interesting find.

All the best! I'm hooked on.
Old 27th October 2012, 09:46   #32
BHPian

After having driven for 15k km on run flats on my X1 i am done with it. Just shifted to normal radials after one of the tyre had a gaping hole on its sidewall. Arent these tyres made with stronger sidewalls to stop these occurences, i am totally surprised that after having driven for 300k+ km on various radials through the length and breadth of the country on varied terrains this occured to me first time with a runflat and i lost confidence in it, just spent Rs40k and got the tyres exchanged at reliance auto zone with Yoko S Drive Advan, i must say the change is huge, a much smoother ride and lighter steering. Run flat technology is yet to come off age or it is just not suited to Iindian conditions.
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:35   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know

It has been about 3 months & 2500 kms from my purchase & have been driving trouble free in my 328i .

As the 328 comes stock with 18"ers i have been always careful regarding the potholes, broken tarmac & those oddly fitted pavered blocks.

But last week i noticed my car in the parking lot (home) & saw the tyre pressure was low ( but not flat ). What i did was i drove it to the nearest petrol station (2 min drive) got the pressure checked & which was at surprisingly low at 9 psi which confirms a puncture.

Got air filled & my next stop (5 min drive) was a tyre/puncture repair shop (local).

The rim was removed & the puncture identified was this ;

Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-01.jpg

^
As observed the rubber is ripped off, this was on the inner part of the rim. Thankfully not on the sidewall ( otherwise RFTs cant be repaired )

Also there was no nail / sharp object found.

Cause of puncture is still unknown as i dont remember hitting any pot hole hard.

^ So have to blame it on hard compound RFTs & poor quality road.

The puncture was taken care by a Mushroom repair method ;

Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-1.jpg

Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-2.jpg

Duration : 1 hour

( as the tyre had to be removed from the rim )

Cost : Rs 300

I think the repair was a good job & especially these mushroom repairs do require some craftsmanship.

Been 50 kms & a week post the repair job & no air loss yet

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd November 2012 at 16:00.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:49   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
After having driven for 15k km on run flats on my X1 i am done with it. Just shifted to normal radials after one of the tyre had a gaping hole on its sidewall. Arent these tyres made with stronger sidewalls to stop these occurences, i am totally surprised that after having driven for 300k+ km on various radials through the length and breadth of the country on varied terrains this occured to me first time with a runflat and i lost confidence in it, just spent Rs40k and got the tyres exchanged at reliance auto zone with Yoko S Drive Advan, i must say the change is huge, a much smoother ride and lighter steering. Run flat technology is yet to come off age or it is just not suited to Iindian conditions.
I did the same on my 3. Switched to Michelin PS3s, and the ride quality has now become pretty good and the suspension makes much less noise. The grip is better and the tyres are more silent too.

A good decision, even though it was a bit pricey. Except now I will have to be a bit careful since there is no spare, I need to find a good tyre inflator.
Old 5th November 2012, 19:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

I did the same on my 3. Switched to Michelin PS3s, and the ride quality has now become pretty good and the suspension makes much less noise. The grip is better and the tyres are more silent too.

A good decision, even though it was a bit pricey. Except now I will have to be a bit careful since there is no spare, I need to find a good tyre inflator.
Yes, definitely worth the money, i am planning to go for an original space saver tyre which might cost another 20k
Old 9th November 2012, 15:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I hope they will have a logic to the cause. It will be an interesting find.

All the best! I'm hooked on.
Sorry for the delayed reply.
RR only said its not possible the warning light did'nt show when the tyre pressure was low. The tyre got shredded because the driver drove it with such low pressure. The driver insists there was no warning indication and it was only when he felt the car was driving a bit oddly did he stop to check the tyre to find it completely shredded.
RR has charged 1.8 lacs for the new tyre. They refused to replace it under warranty even though the vehicle has run only 2000 kms in a little over a year. For a customer who spent nearly 5 crs on buying a vehicle from them, you would think they would show some consideration.
Old 9th November 2012, 17:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Agreed. They need to think of another option for India, the stranded passengers was the worst scenario and hopefully they got apologizing.

I thought as much that they would not agree to driver as TPMS should show the warning. It's easy for a comfortable car owner to drag the car. Did they show you the data reflecting TPMS data showing tripping of alarm? Though I never owned a RR but the Porshce service manager once showed me a vehicle log showing TPMS tripping. I hope they would either show the log to be transparent with a paying customer to convert them to a loyal connoisseur.
Old 11th November 2012, 11:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Agreed. They need to think of another option for India, the stranded passengers was the worst scenario and hopefully they got apologizing. Though I never owned a RR but the Porshce service manager once showed me a vehicle log showing TPMS tripping. I hope they would either show the log to be transparent with a paying customer to convert them to a loyal connoisseur.
Yes, there is a vehicle log which can be checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
RR only said its not possible the warning light did'nt show when the tyre pressure was low. The tyre got shredded because the driver drove it with such low pressure. The driver insists there was no warning indication and it was only when he felt the car was driving a bit oddly did he stop to check the tyre to find it completely shredded.
They cannot just shrug off the responsibility by merely saying "the light will glow", there are numerous other service centers who have those tech pieces with them which can check the vehicles logs, just check out on the nearest Bosch Service Center, they do have the same machines used for BMW, Merc and Audi, not quite sure about RR though.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 11th November 2012 at 11:25.
Old 11th November 2012, 18:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r

I thought as much that they would not agree to driver as TPMS should show the warning. It's easy for a comfortable car owner to drag the car. Did they show you the data reflecting TPMS data showing tripping of alarm? Though I never owned a RR but the Porshce service manager once showed me a vehicle log showing TPMS tripping. I hope they would either show the log to be transparent with a paying customer to convert them to a loyal connoisseur.
My bro-in-law just paid up and closed the issue. They didn't offer to show any logs in any case.

I have had a problem on my merc once when the tpms didn't show any warning and the tyre (not runflat) went completely flat. The merc guys told me the sensor was not activated hence no warning. Hv to go into the menu and activate it. Maybe the rolls had a similar issue.
Old 31st January 2013, 17:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

It seems on the beamers you have to reset the TPMS through the iDrive after every air pressure check, otherwise the TPMS tends not to work.
Old 31st January 2013, 17:33   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
It seems on the beamers you have to reset the TPMS through the iDrive after every air pressure check, otherwise the TPMS tends not to work.
I do that anyway, its a good practice to follow, since the pressure will be different from place to place.
Old 28th August 2013, 20:06   #42

Hi Guys! What if one wanted to keep the 3rd gen. RFTs coming standard on BMW F30 (primarily not having to change tires urgently in the middle of a busy highway or late at night) while accepting the downside of ride quality and noise. By keeping a space saver tubeless tire in the boot on long trips, wouldn't it give you the best of both worlds - peace of mind outside city limits by having a spare tire and peace of mind within city limits by not having to change tires till you get back home or to a puncture repair station? So the question is: can one safely drive with one regular space saver along with remaining 3 RFTs? If yes then what would be the max speed limit? Would there be any other precautions to look out for?
rolling_stone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:51   #43
BHPian

Thanks akshay1234, for putting up an useful thread.

Have following questions regarding RFTs:
This might have been asked before as well, but couldn't find the complete info.

1. Are RFTs more prone to puncture on Indian roads (pothole ridden) compared to normal tubeless due to their stiff sidewalls?

2. Aren't tubeless better option considering the fact that even side wall puncture could be repaired which is not possible in case of RFTs?

3. Will the tire pressure monitoring system work even if RFTs are changed to normal tubeless?

4. What is the cost involved in changing RFTs to tubeless immediately after taking delivery of the car?

5. What is the value (in term of usefulness) of RFTs for someone who doesn't do high speeds and fills nitrogen in the tires? Because I believe the very invention of RFTs happened to enhance safety related to tire burst.
Old 17th December 2013, 01:07   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

1. Are RFTs more prone to puncture on Indian roads (pothole ridden) compared to normal tubeless due to their stiff sidewalls?

2. Aren't tubeless better option considering the fact that even side wall puncture could be repaired which is not possible in case of RFTs?

3. Will the tire pressure monitoring system work even if RFTs are changed to normal tubeless?

4. What is the cost involved in changing RFTs to tubeless immediately after taking delivery of the car?

5. What is the value (in term of usefulness) of RFTs for someone who doesn't do high speeds and fills nitrogen in the tires? Because I believe the very invention of RFTs happened to enhance safety related to tire burst.
1) I don't think so. They are actually stronger on Indian roads due to the stiff sidewall.

2) On the tubeless a sidewall puncture can be fixed, but it isn't safe to drive around with one. Its never as strong as it was from the factory.

3) Yes it will, it is based on the ABS sensors. Nothing to do with what tyres are on the car.

4) Depends on what your local tyre dealer is offering. Honestly with the newer BMWs I see no reason to change just when you get the car. The suspensions have been softened a lot and the RFTs have better ride now. So its actually not bad at all.

5) Not much value honesty, but then the car already comes with it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 23:17   #45

An ironic story highlighting the benefit of RFTs! Or unfortunately some may argue for the "lack" of benefit of RFTs!...
Attached Thumbnails
Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know-screen-shot-20140126-11.03.58-pm.png  

rolling_stone is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks