Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 17:28   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Run-Flat Tyres : All you need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud View Post
1. Go to a tyre service centre (Need recommendations, I am assuming not all guys are able to replace a RFT). Another assumption, is that its a puncture that can be repaired.
2. Keep filling air, but not an option due to the risks esp. with family
3. Some way to arm twist Navnit motors or anyone else to get it done.
Not very appealing choices. Under BMW Secure, you'll have to get the replacement from either Deutsche Motoren or Navnit. Do they at all have ready stock? Should cost you ~9K after insurance.

I'd say immediately get it thoroughly inspected at a top tyre dealer for their assessment. RFTs can easily be patched if it's a simple puncture on the tread and not the sidewall.

Worst case you may need to buy a aftermarket one at full cost but that's an easy 20K I imagine.

Post a few pictures if possible?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 18:15   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not very appealing choices. Under BMW Secure, you'll have to get the replacement from either Deutsche Motoren or Navnit. Do they at all have ready stock? Should cost you ~9K after insurance.

I'd say immediately get it thoroughly inspected at a top tyre dealer for their assessment. RFTs can easily be patched if it's a simple puncture on the tread and not the sidewall.

Worst case you may need to buy a aftermarket one at full cost but that's an easy 20K I imagine.

Post a few pictures if possible?
I have secure advantage so don't have to pay for it as long as it's in stock.

An update, got an appointment from Navnit north bangalore after a lot of push. Hopefully they will patch it up or replace it for now.
Old 30th August 2021, 19:54   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseud View Post
I have secure advantage so don't have to pay for it as long as it's in stock.

An update, got an appointment from Navnit north bangalore after a lot of push. Hopefully they will patch it up or replace it for now.
You'll still need to pay the 2K deductible. Hopefully your tyres have unused tread depth of more than 7 mm, thus qualifying for 100% reimbursement.

I had a Secure claim last year & my 330i 17" Turanza just about qualified for 75% after 9K km.

Let us know how it goes?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 12:01   #109
BHPian

I went to a Bridgestone Smart Tyre shop and it was a nail embedded into the tyre. They did a neat job of the removal as well as fixing. I dont think I need to do a replacement but would like to hear expert views on the same.

In my case, the 2k is also refundable, as part of the company lease but not sure if I should replace a perfectly good tyre (just because I can).
Old 21st September 2021, 13:10   #110

I had a question for my Mercedes Benz C200 Petrol. The tyres are due for change and currently are the using the original RFTs (ran 40k kms). From reading at the forum on the issue I feel I am biased towards using the tubeless over RFTs as they seem to be more value for money especially for someone like me who will be in the back seat for 50% of the usage and use it in the city for 75% of the usage.

I had the following questions before the issue at hand:

1. Any preference that one should have between Michelin ST4 and Micheline PS4? They both seem to be costing around 12,500 on some online portals that I checked. Seems that PS4 is more apt for a driving enthusiast (which I am not in particular though sometimes in the night I do like to take it out for a spin). Any pros and cons of both on a relative basis.

2. What should be the cutoff week and year combination beyond which one should not buy the tyres (from the manufacturing perspective).

3. The space saver tyre should be kept as it is and used in case of a puncture in any one of the tubeless tyres, is that the right understanding? can the space saver be used in case of puncture along with the tubeless tyres. Are there any safety or other issues related to that?

Sorry in case I broke any of the forum's rules or if my questions are very basic.
Old 24th September 2021, 22:35   #111
BHPian

Tubeless tyre will offer a better and comfortable ride.

Michelin stocks were not available with most retailers, due to gov restrictions. However, subsequently permission was granted for certain size. Please check if the stock is actually available as online stock may not be reconciled.

Tyre have a life of almost 5 year, beyond which they start developing cracks and it may not be advisable to use them on highway run.
With that in mind if your running is less than 10,000 km a year you should not go for tyres which are older than 8-10 months as you will take 4-5year to consume the tread.
In case your running is in range of 15,000-18000 km a year or higher you may go for older tyres as you will be able to consume in less than 3 years. Provided there is a good discount thrown.

Yes Space saver is only to be used in case of Puncture in the regular tubeless tyre. They have a speed limitation which is generally mentioned as a warning on the space saver itself. Space saver is definitely to be used only as last resort as it will make your vehicle unstable due to its odd size.
Old 3rd October 2021, 00:51   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
Tubeless tyre will offer a better and comfortable ride.

Michelin stocks were not available with most retailers, due to gov restrictions. However, subsequently permission was granted for certain size. Please check if the stock is actually available as online stock may not be reconciled.
I have a related query. Most dealers in Mumbai are not having 225/50 R18 Michelin Primacy 4 ST tyres although tyremarket.com seems to be having it in stock and is selling at roughly 12k a piece.

Meanwhile a dealer in Mumbai told me that it is better to go for 225/55 R18 instead of 225/50 for C Class when going for the tubeless tyres. C class comes with factory fitted 225/50 Run-flat tyres but the dealer's logic is 225/55 R18 will improve its ground clearance a bit and would be overall a better fit instead of 225/50 R18.

Any suggestions on whether he is just trying to fleece me because apparently he does have Michelin Primacy 4 in stock in the 55 size or is is actually better to go for 55 instead of 50 when shifting from RFTs to tubeless for C Class.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th October 2021, 09:45   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyst View Post

Meanwhile a dealer in Mumbai told me that it is better to go for 225/55 R18 instead of 225/50 for C Class when going for the tubeless tyres. C class comes with factory fitted 225/50 Run-flat tyres but the dealer's logic is 225/55 R18 will improve its ground clearance a bit and would be overall a better fit instead of 225/50 R18.

Any suggestions on whether he is just trying to fleece me because apparently he does have Michelin Primacy 4 in stock in the 55 size or is is actually better to go for 55 instead of 50 when shifting from RFTs to tubeless for C Class.

Thanks in advance.
The 225/55 R18 will surely improve the Ground Clearance and provide a more comfortable ride.
The 55 profile, which is a Percentage of the width of tyre. It means you will get a taller sidewall and better cushioning, but slight compromise on handling.

Higher profile will increase the overall circumference of the tyre from 2143 mm to 2213 mm. This will result in slight speedo error.
So when your speedo reads 70 Km/h, you're actually travelling at 72 Km/h.

This upgrade may create issue with the vehicles warranty.
goenkakushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 20:42   #114
BHPian

Dear Friends,

The stock Bridgestones in my X1(2019 Dec) have worn out now after doing 25k.

I find it really difficult to source the 225/50/17 size as the availability seems to be very limited. So I'm contemplating these options:

1. I see Ultramile RFTs available online. How is the quality of this brand as I'm used to the Michelins and Bridgestones. The cost is also cheap - 13500 per tyre. Should I consider this as replacement?

2. Change the RFTs to Tubeless. When I spoke to my SA he warns that it will void my warranty. Is this true? If not, what would be your recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:29   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Hi Sid,

I am done & dusted.

All four tires was changed, car started behaving like new, back to her own glory, most importantly I got the confidence back with the car.

The "Dug-dug" noise was from the puncture repair, which started coming after 1 year of repair.
Even on my X3-20d i faced the same issue where the inner part of the tires were work unevenly where as the outer part was pretty good. Mine also has run around 25k in the last 2.5 years.

Would the warranty be void if i go for tubeless tires of 245x50x19 ?
Currently i have BSI valid for another 4 months. I plan to extend the BSI for 5-6 years

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd November 2021 at 11:24.
Old 25th November 2021, 11:11   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
1. I see Ultramile RFTs available online. How is the quality of this brand as I'm used to the Michelins and Bridgestones. The cost is also cheap - 13500 per tyre. Should I consider this as replacement?

2. Change the RFTs to Tubeless. When I spoke to my SA he warns that it will void my warranty. Is this true? If not, what would be your recommendations?

Thanks!
Stick to reputed brands, the marginal cost difference is totally worth it. Don't put your and loved ones' safety at risk for a few thousand rupees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
Would the warranty be void if i go for tubeless tires of 245x50x19 ?
Currently i have BSI valid for another 4 months. I plan to extend the BSI for 5-6 years
[/b]
Trying to address warranty concerns - in short, yes, they can refuse to honour your warranty as you are changing how your suspension, braking and ancillary parts of your car connected to them behave. I personally love RFTs, they weigh down the steering and provide better cornering. Not to mention, the peace of mind. The only concern is, you can't throw your car around like an SUV on A/T tyres. Treat them like your little wounded pet at all times and they will reward you well.
rocksterraghu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 15:31   #117
BHPian

Hello friends,

So I had an encounter with puncture of the rear left RFT on the X3 (total KM <7km). Car was at ~80km/hr when the TPMS alerted for low pressure.

The alert I saw on the iDrive suggested that I find a safe place to stop. I called the RSA and he suggested that I can continue driving at low speeds and get the car to a close by service station (~8km away). At 2 PSI, I could hear the sound of the tyre and while I was told I could drive, I could not muster the courage and got it repaired at the first local shop I found. I first tried inflating through a portable inflator but there was a small cut and hence air was going out immediately. Tyre pressure has been fine once I got the puncture repair done (same as one would do with a tubeless).

Question for experts: How much distance can a fully deflated RFT be driven for ? While I remember reading 80km and even the RSA said that it can be done, it was very nerve wracking actually doing it. I was worried that the side walls might burst! If so, is RFT actually useful in remote places when you need to get to a safe place? I was in city limits so this was not as stressful but I want to be prepared if this happens in a more remote place.

I must say that this was a completely sudden loss of pressure and even at reasonable speed the car was balanced when the air was lost. Something like this could have been more dangerous in a tubeless?
bhushan08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 14:28   #118
BHPian

I had an RTF puncture on sidewall last Sun after going through a pothole. Within a minute I saw tyre pressure loss message on iDrive. There was a local tyre shop a km away and he tried to repair the puncture like one would on a tubeless tyre. But his fix gave way within a km of further driving. Came back to try once more, but second try also failed. Got spare wheel installed and drove 20 km home.

Then took appt with Infinity BMW at Lalbaug as they had the tyre in stock. They replaced it under BMW Secure and charged me ~9.5k. Apparently, the cost if only 2k if the car was < 3 months old. Mine was 1 week more than that and has done ~5k. Total liability was 33k.

Last month we drove down to Sasan Gir (and later to parts of Rajasthan) from Bombay and what was a state highway as per Google Maps was, in reality, an unpaved path through the jungle. I had no choice but to drive the M340i on low profile 19" tyres through the 20km unpaved road and there was no problem whatsoever. There were some stretches of unpaved village roads in Rajasthan on the way to Jaipur and the car did very well there too. So maybe there was something special about this pothole that I hit last week which led to a puncture.

I'm told that BMW Secure Advance is bundled with insurance in 1st year of ownership. I wonder if we can purchase this in later years. If we can, I would probably get it.
Old 9th July 2022, 14:03   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
They replaced it under BMW Secure and charged me ~9.5k. Apparently, the cost if only 2k if the car was < 3 months old. Mine was 1 week more than that and has done ~5k. Total liability was 33k.
The owner liability is decided on the basis of tyre tread and not on how old tyre is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
I wonder if we can purchase this in later years. If we can, I would probably get it.
Yes you can purchase BMW Secure till 5th year of ownership.

You might want to upgrade to tubeless tyres for better tyre life & durability compared to RFT. Also tubeless cost way less.

Eg. BMW X1 225 55 R17
RFT cost Rs 23,000 (Bridgestone Turanza T001 RFT)
Tubeless cost Rs 11,000 (Yokohama Earth1)
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 09:23   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd recommend BMW Secure only till the second year (and no more due), to onerous conditions on tyre tread wear, alloy age and alloy + tyre to be damaged simultaneously clauses.

In terms of cost, as far as I know, it's about 35K for a 330i currently. A better alternative is to add a tyre & alloy damage add-on to your OD insurance policy. In my case, it came to ~9K.

Refer the brochure attached from Google. Unsure of current validity though.

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th July 2022 at 09:29.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks