Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 09:04   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Other than the improved clearance, wont this bring a much better ride comfort.
Yes, compromising the handling characteristics.

Quote:
How will this affect braking ? Isn't better road grip and braking connected ?
Tire width, pattern & compound contributes more for road grip rather than the section height. Increase in overall diameter requires higher braking force (in turn, higher pedal effort)
Old 5th October 2016, 10:16   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
, compromising the handling characteristics.

)
So you mean to say there are more -ves that I am probably gonna bear just for the ride comfort when it comes to increasing the circumference of the tyre ?

Quote:

Tire width, pattern & compound contributes more for road grip rather than the section height. Increase in overall diameter requires higher braking force (in turn, higher pedal effort)

Noted ! But in the image you had shared in terms the variation in the diameter. Isnt the change very marginal ?

How bad can the braking go !

The car would be mostly driven by my sister and hence the concern.
Old 5th October 2016, 11:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean to say there are more -ves that I am probably gonna bear just for the ride comfort when it comes to increasing the circumference of the tyre ?
Any change in vehicle spec will have both Pros & Cons directly and indirectly. It is hard to estimate by simple means.
Just to give an example, increase in overall tire diameter will increase the input load to suspension and other components by Kinematics (and basic engineering principle) whereas increase in air volume (side wall height) makes the overall suspension softer and hence reduces the input load. So we couldn't conclude if tire upgrade will result in positive or negative impacts.

Quote:
Noted ! But in the image you had shared in terms the variation in the diameter. Isnt the change very marginal ?

How bad can the braking go !

The car would be mostly driven by my sister and hence the concern.
Yes, the difference is marginal, but matters a lot when comes to part design.
Cost sensitive market & competition drive companies towards lean design, with lesser factor of safety. Also in the era of common platform design, parts from a smaller vehicle might be used in a bigger vehicle (of same / similar platform) with very less margin of safety.

To put it simple, you will have deterioration in braking (may be marginal) but the same will be compromised if better rubbers were used. To put it further simple, go for 195/65R15 if the tires don't interfere with surrounding parts
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:07   #94

Hi all,

I am thinking of changing the tyres on my 2011 Jazz, which has done around 35000 kms so far. Currently I have Michelin XM1, I am thinking to continue with the same. I had a query regarding the spare tyre, in that it has not been used even once in all the 6+ years that I have had the car. So I was wondering whether I need to change this as well, or whether I can continue to keep it and just change the other four. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:03   #95
BHPian

I have an earlier generation honda jazz and am planning tyre upgrade from 175/65/R15 to 195/60/R15.
Currently I have 4.5 yr old Mchelin XM1 that came with the car but have gone very hard and started chipping and cracking in spite of only 30k kms.
I am planning to change to primacy 3 ST. The dealer says 195 section will make the steering heavy. I have a WagonR and Esteem at home. I find Jazz steering anyways lighter than those. My driving is in city but not too much in bumper to bumper traffic. From next week for next 2 -3 months I am going to make 2 day 900 kms trips and hence need to do this over weekend.

So I have few queries:
1. How heavy does the steering gets? Is it too much for my kind of city driving?
2. Any other pros and cons you have experienced from similar tyre upgrade. is there any impact of steering system (joints, arms, etc.)
3. For those who have actually upgraded to this size what has been your experience, does the tyre foul with any body parts?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropemonk View Post
Hi all,

I am thinking of changing the tyres on my 2011 Jazz, which has done around 35000 kms so far. Currently I have Michelin XM1, I am thinking to continue with the same. I had a query regarding the spare tyre, in that it has not been used even once in all the 6+ years that I have had the car. So I was wondering whether I need to change this as well, or whether I can continue to keep it and just change the other four. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.
If the spare tyre is good then you need not change. But check if the rubber has gone very hard you will need to change it as well. This is if you need to drive longer than 5 kms (this is my guess not very scientific) on the spare tyre.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th November 2017 at 11:11. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 4th February 2017, 21:34   #96
BHPian

Upgraded to Primacy 3 ST 195/60/R15 from XM1 175/65/R15. I got 4 tyres for 5900 each and some 300 for old tyre. I did it at Tyre X Mulund.
Also did a 900 km 2 day trip from Mumbai to Belgaum. I had done same trip 10 days before on the older tyres so the comparisons are very easy.
Some observations:
1. when someone changes from an old tyre to new one, almost always the experience will be better since the rubber is new and soft, whatever be the brands. So any feedback from anybody should be taken with pinch of salt.
2. Primacy is definitely quite than xm1 since I drive another car with xm tyres.
3. The grip levels are definitely better and handling has improved immensely.
4. As of now the tyres do not foul with any part of the car
5. Ride has been a little plush than before.
6. Steering has not become hard at all, actually it is little lighter I feel.
7. I was not able to check fuel efficiency since I did some spirited driving. The MID read 16.6 instead of 17.1 from previous trip.

Anybody wanting to upgrade should go for primacy instead of xm2 since the price difference is really small around 250 bucks per tyre.
Old 21st February 2017, 15:12   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Upgraded to Primacy 3 ST 195/60/R15 from XM1 175/65/R15. I got 4 tyres for 5900 each and some 300 for old tyre. I did it at Tyre X Mulund.
Also did a 900 km 2 day trip from Mumbai to Belgaum. I had done same trip 10 days before on the older tyres so the comparisons are very easy.
Some observations:
1. when someone changes from an old tyre to new one, almost always the experience will be better since the rubber is new and soft, whatever be the brands. So any feedback from anybody should be taken with pinch of salt.
2. Primacy is definitely quite than xm1 since I drive another car with xm tyres.
3. The grip levels are definitely better and handling has improved immensely.
4. As of now the tyres do not foul with any part of the car
5. Ride has been a little plush than before.
6. Steering has not become hard at all, actually it is little lighter I feel.
7. I was not able to check fuel efficiency since I did some spirited driving. The MID read 16.6 instead of 17.1 from previous trip.

Anybody wanting to upgrade should go for primacy instead of xm2 since the price difference is really small around 250 bucks per tyre.
Can you please elaborate on the ride quality , ground clearance , tyre pressure recommended ? I am thinking of changing the tyres to wider ones 195/60 R15 ... what is the specification to match for the spare tyre which is just R14 ? Did you get it changed too ? If yes, then please advise the specs.

Prompt suggestions would be appreciated since every km covered now results in the original Good Year tyre resale value depreciating. FYI, the car has covered just 230 kms approx.

Thanks in advance,
Mac_Guy555.
Old 21st February 2017, 17:03   #98
BHPian

The ride quality has improved as the bumps are cushioned better but that is also because my earlier tyres were hard.
The ground clearance has increased by 3 mm, for me it is noticeable.
Currently I am maintaining same tyre pressure 32/30 but reducing by 1 or 2 PSI should make the ride more cushioning.
Please note mine is previous gen Jazz it came with same tyre config as the current but spare was same R15 tyre so I haven't changed it. You can calculate right tyre using some tyre upside calculator online. Here is one I use http://tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
R14 & R15 doesn't really matter if you do not matter if you do not plan to do a 5 tyre rotation and your spare tyre will have low usage. All you will need to ensure is the final wheel diameter with the tyre mounted is same/ close in both the tyre configurations.
Suggestions: Change the 4 tyres to Primacy 195 config and continue with the spare tyre in current config as is, unless you plan to have 5 alloy wheels then upgrade all tyres to Primacy 195 config
Old 25th February 2017, 12:17   #99
BHPian

Upgraded to new Yokohama Earth1 195/60 R15 Tyres at 280 kms. and let the spare wheel be as it is. Just came to know at the time of upgrade that the spare 14" tyre is not a Good Year Assurance but is a MRF and has a sticker on it ... Max speed 120 km/h.

After living with the new shoes for 100 kms. I strongly feel that it is a absolute must upgrade for all Honda Jazz owners especially for the diesel owners with more torque on tap. Get the tyres changed straight after delivery or within 50km to get the best buyback price.

My total damage was Rs. 8500/- for 4 nos. Yokohama Earth1 195/60 R15 including wheel alignment & balancing and nitrogen contract for 1 year.

Excellent tyres and I have felt that it takes on bumps & potholes with a more mature approach since the contact area is wider. The up/down movement of the car with earlier rubber is also significantly less. It feels much more planted and sure footed. The steering has become much better and is still light BUT I feel the feedback is loads better. Tyre pressure is currently 32 psi on all fours.

I have never liked a car with skinny tyres and now I feel the Jazz looks much more proportionate and the wheel wells also fill up better. Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20170224wa0005.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20170224wa0009.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20170224wa0010.jpeg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20170224wa0007.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20170224wa0004.jpg  

mac_guy555 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 20:47   #100
BHPian

I could not find more info for 185/65 R15. 185/65 R15 is standard for many cars in India, while 175/65 R15 seems to be specific for Jazz. Original tyres are from goodyear and have completed 150 kms till date. ( just 2 weeks old )

I'm not much interested in 195/60 for my petrol Jazz as fuel efficiency is important to me and I wont be driving above 120 on highways

Can increase in side wall affect breaking characteristics ? I am worried that ABS might malfunction and cause warranty and safety issues

Is it a good idea to replace original oem tyres with Michelin175/65 R15 without upgrading tyre size ?
Old 15th April 2017, 19:22   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I'm not much interested in 195/60 for my petrol Jazz as fuel efficiency is important to me and I wont be driving above 120 on highways
From my experience (on Jazz petrol) FE doesn't vary after the upgrade, it remains almost same as OE spec tire.

Quote:
Can increase in side wall affect breaking characteristics ? I am worried that ABS might malfunction and cause warranty and safety issues
Braking performance gets affected for sure, but very marginally considering the change is minimal here. There won't be any effect on ABS function.

Quote:
Is it a good idea to replace original oem tyres with Michelin175/65 R15 without upgrading tyre size ?
Choice is yours
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 22:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
From my experience (on Jazz petrol) FE doesn't vary after the upgrade, it remains almost same as OE spec tire.
Even though overall tyre height remains the same, the contact patch for 195 is 2 cm more per tyre when compared with 175. So I thought it should affect mileage for petrol variants due to poor low end torque.

The oem tyres are Goodyear Triplemax and the tyre dealer told me if I am not upsizing the tyres , it is better to stick with the original .

As per the dealer, Triplemax is much better than previous goodyear models and I wont find much difference even after updating for the kind of use I have.

I though of taking a gamble and dropped my tyre upgrade plans
Old 15th April 2017, 23:00   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even though overall tyre height remains the same, the contact patch for 195 is 2 cm more per tyre when compared with 175.
FE depends on various other factors as well and most importantly on the tire RRC. Better compound + good tread pattern on a wider tire gives better FE than many OE tires.
Old 21st April 2017, 16:14   #104
BHPian

Anyone traded their alloys while replacing tyres or upgrading them. Wanted to know the value these alloys fetch if we want to replace them. Any inputs would be beneficial as I am planning to change in the near future. Pointers to places in Hyderabad would be sweeter too
Old 9th May 2017, 20:45   #105
BHPian

Booked a jazz v cvt. It is shod with Michelins. Dealer says, will charge 3100 per tire to replace these with 195/60/15 Michelin xm2. Says we'll change the spare too (free alloy thrown in) ( I.E. totally 15500). Is it a good deal worth going in for? If I don't go for the package and just ask him to change the alloy to a 15 incher? Anyone with any idea of the cost of the oem alloy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks