Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2006, 13:32   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Its recomended to go up by 1-2psi when tyres are upsized.

Drifter
Hmm - Upsized tyres will have a harsher ride already - inflating by 1-2 psi will add to it. Correct ?

I keep the pressure same - 28 psi - whether I am running on 15" or 16" .
Old 27th September 2006, 13:59   #137
Senior - BHPian

i have been maintaining 26 PSI for my esteem. recently i have changed to tubeless tyres. does this make any difference ? should i continue maintaining the same psi or go higher/lower ?
Old 3rd January 2007, 13:53   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
So i have decided to buy air pressure gauge and do it myself.I have chosen followings and based on ur experience which one should i go for..
@rsj, did you finally buy any of these ?

What is then the solution for road trips. How should one prepare for a double puncture situation - I know it's rare , but ...

Isn't there any reliable portable inflator available ?
Old 3rd January 2007, 14:27   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@rsj, did you finally buy any of these ?

What is then the solution for road trips. How should one prepare for a double puncture situation - I know it's rare , but ...

Isn't there any reliable portable inflator available ?
I have one portable inflator, which my friend bought for me in US. It works on 12v battery outlet, but takes good amount of time to inflate. But, definitely a saviour in case of crisis.

I bought Michelin pressure gauge, which was supposed to be reliable. It worked for a while and one day, the measuring tip just broke off. I was simply appalled by the quality of material used by Michelin. My 1$ pressure gauge still works after 2-3 years (of course, it was and still is incorrect, unreliable and not trust-worthy).
Old 3rd January 2007, 14:35   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I have one portable inflator, which my friend bought for me in US. It works on 12v battery outlet, but takes good amount of time to inflate. But, definitely a saviour in case of crisis.
hey RX135
i had one of those but conked off and i have been looking for a good reliable one ever since.can you tell me the name of the brand you have and is it available here ?

Rev
Old 3rd January 2007, 14:46   #141
Senior - BHPian

There are apparently 3 types of inflators that are available at ebay.
- Foot pumps : Rs. 150 odd
- Pumps which are battery operated and can be run from the cigarette lighter socket : Rs. 750
- Single use Aerosol cans : Rs. 300
Old 3rd January 2007, 14:59   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
- Pumps which are battery operated and can be run from the cigarette lighter socket : Rs. 750 -
Thats the one i want.... so RX can you give me the name of the one you have.
Old 3rd January 2007, 15:08   #143
Senior - BHPian

This doesn't seem to mention any name ..
eBay India: 300 PSI MULTI PURPOSE AIR COMPRESSOR/ TYRE INFLATOR (item 230073289275 end time 05-Jan-2007 14:09:08 IST)
Old 3rd January 2007, 15:29   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... That is a handy thing to have. Has anybody here bought this thing?
Old 3rd January 2007, 20:10   #145
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Hmm - Upsized tyres will have a harsher ride already - inflating by 1-2 psi will add to it. Correct ?

I keep the pressure same - 28 psi - whether I am running on 15" or 16" .
Properly upsized tyres will be of lower profile than the stock ones. For example, when you increase your wheel size from 15" toi 16", surely your tyres will be of much lower profile in order to maintain the rolling radius (and ground clearance) and minimize speedo errors. So if you maintain same tyre pressures, the chances of tyre/wheel damage from hitting potholes/stones/bumps will increase. Higher tyre pressures should also help in improving handling (e.g. cornering) on good roads, especially in high-speed drives. Recently I hit a stone which was tossed into the road by a dumper working from the central divider just in front of my car doing about 40 kmph in Pune city. I tried swerving to the left (absolutely no time to brake), but my front right tyre hit the stone with a sickening thud. No visible damage to either tyre or rim, and in this case higher tyre pressures definitely help -- my stock-size tubeless tyres were at 34 psi.

@esteem_lover, 26 psi does look a bit low for a car like Esteem, capable of high speeds like 170-180 kmph. So at least for high-speed drives, I would strongly recommend that you increase your tyre pressures substantially (about 3-4 psi above the manufacturer's recommendation), in order to minimize risk of a tyre burst and improve handling/tyre life. In any case the advice from experts that I have seen is to *never* reduce tyre pressures below the manufacturer's recommendation, except maybe while driving in snow or heavily slippery conditions. For tubeless tyres I think higher tyre pressures should help in further minimizing risk of sidewall damage/air leakage on bad potholed roads and should increase your tyre life. But you will lose out a little on ride comfort.

I keep 3-4 psi higher than the recommended 30 psi for my Santro, which does Pune-Mumbai-Pune every week at quite high speeds. I am closely watching my S322 tubeless tyres for any signs of uneven wear -- very high pressures should see the central portion wear out faster than the sides. But haven't found any so far in about 6500 kms, with one tyre rotation already done. The ride is certainly bad on the horrible roads in Pune city and I have to go slow over potholes/bumps. But I am mainly concerned about tyre life and reliablity (don't want punctures or tyre damage as that will make my highway drives risky).
Old 8th January 2007, 00:35   #146
BHPian

got myself a digital presure gauge from radioshack,usa... dont remeber the price though i guess it was $15-20 and also a dc powered air compressor for inflating tyres
Old 12th January 2007, 13:11   #147
BHPian

Hi GTO, I have got myself 165/75 R15 NCT5 for my SWIFT, however I am struggling to get the right tyre pressure for a good ride, Tyres are now 15000kms old and I dont think have got the tyres pressure right for city running as highways is not a problem. I fill Front 29psi and rear 28psi, usually am the single occupant on daily runs to the office 7kms over weekends 2 occupants. The ride isnt that good, is it because I havent fitted alloys ? I check my tyre pressures regularly weekly once. last I checked the Left front had dropped to 20psi and the right rear had dropped to 18 psi this I checked on a petrol station.

I need advise on this one.....

Thanks in advance.
Old 12th January 2007, 21:53   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh87 View Post
got myself a digital presure gauge from radioshack,usa... dont remeber the price though i guess it was $15-20 and also a dc powered air compressor for inflating tyres
Harsh,any pic or link would be very helpful.I want to get digital gauge with air compressor from states.

@shuvc No,i dint buy any of these as per advice of LBM.
sorry for late reply though.
Old 13th January 2007, 01:14   #149
Senior - BHPian

Saw this at a petrol pump ...Not all cars are mentioned n sorry for the poor quality pic

Old 13th January 2007, 22:15   #150
BHPian

If u are using the stock tyres for Swift, the recommended psi is 33 for all the 4 tyres.

Cheers
Ajay

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks