Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2007, 00:31   #166
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Well it is an analog type. Digital ones need recalibration every time battries are replaced (as per dealer) which is not worth it.
That is interesting. The original battery should last several years, by which time a recalibration might anyway be needed. My digital gauge is guaranteed to be accurate to less than 1% error for 5 years, and the battery life will probably exceed that for my usage.

I thought analog gauges will also need to be checked and calibrated (at least for "zero error") from time to time.

Anyway, a good branded analog gauge, such as the one you have got, should get the job done just as well. I am glad your problem is solved.
Old 4th February 2007, 17:54   #167
BHPian

hi rks,

Thanks for your response

I changed to aura alloys (5 inches ) though the micheline site suggested 5 1/2 inches. yes I do a lot of highway driving.
till now I hanve been filling 31 in front and 30 at the back. Once
I did fill 32 on all the wheels.. but the chennai roads are horrible...
so i switched back to 30.. very soon i am shifting to delhi.. delhi roads are much better so i can again go back to filling 32..
Old 16th March 2007, 12:55   #168
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The original battery should last several years, by which time a recalibration might anyway be needed. My digital gauge is guaranteed to be accurate to less than 1% error for 5 years, and the battery life will probably exceed that for my usage.
Actually the battery failed after a usage of about 1 year. I guess it is because my gauge talks, with greater drainage on battery. Replaced it with a cell of exactly the same specificaiton as original for a price of Rs 30/-. No change in the digital gauge readings after replacement -- pressures were exactly same as set, and in confirmation with the readings on the analog gauge on my compressor (same difference as before).

Yesterday I had a puncture as reported in another thread. Puncture was fixed by Unitread Tyres in Pune and before I could stop them they adjusted pressures on my tyres. This morning I checked the pressures again. Found the pressure on front left tyre to be about 21 psi and tyre sidewall was flexed. Other tyre pressures were at 30 psi. Idiots at the tyre shop messed up. Set all pressures back to 35 psi for today's highway run. Went to tyre shop and gave them a firing. I could so easily have forgotten to check the pressures and gotten a tyre burst on the Expressway.

Moral: do not trust these tyre shops. Use your own accurate gauge and compressor, if you are a frequent highway user.

Last edited by rks : 16th March 2007 at 13:03.
Old 16th March 2007, 23:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AI could so easily have forgotten to check the pressures and gotten a tyre burst on the Expressway.

Moral: do not trust these tyre shops. Use your own accurate gauge and compressor, if you are a frequent highway user.
Well to be very frank you are just taking things a bit too seriously. Even if the tyre only had 21 psi (more importantly it had no leaks) there was hardly a chance of a blow out. Tyre pressure vary from time to time depending on a user's preferences & propensity to check the pressures and tyres are designed to adjust & bear that to an extent, obviously no pressure or anything below 8-10psi is a danger issue but anything above 20 psi is not really as dangerous as you're making it out to be.
Old 16th March 2007, 23:43   #170
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well to be very frank you are just taking things a bit too seriously. Even if the tyre only had 21 psi (more importantly it had no leaks) there was hardly a chance of a blow out.
OK, but still-- if three tyres are at 30 psi and front left at 21 then the handling will surely be awful, considering the speeds I do. If I take a corner at 80 kmph, I might be in trouble with those tyre pressures. Of course I think I might have realized while driving that the pressure was not OK- the tyre would have made an awful lot of noise and the steering response would have been erratic.
Old 26th March 2007, 01:53   #171
BHPian

Is it advisable to buy one of those tyre pressure gauges from ebay?
Old 29th March 2007, 13:12   #172
BHPian

USA ebay motors has some good ones for sale.. Very few sellers ship to India though
Old 14th May 2008, 18:56   #173
BHPian

the price seems too high.
i got mine, an analogue one, from Doha for around 7 Riyals (Around 80 rupees) it works on cars and bikes with ease, the digital one was available for 20 Riyals. I checked the calibration with two of my "hawawala's" and it matched with their bigger gauges..

Quote:
@n_aditya: The digital gauge I have is by ROADGEAR (a UK company), and cost me quite a lot ($34, including $ 12 for shipping: approx. Rs. 1500/-) -- I ordered this gauge through the internet, and it is guaranteed for 5 years to give pressures accurate to +/- 0.5 psi. But the problem with this gauge is that it is optimized for bikes rather than cars (has a head that is at right angles to the gauge, so that it can reach through the spokes of the bike). So it is a bit difficult to take the reading without letting out too much air -- I did not realize this when I ordered the gauge, since the web site says that it can be used for cars too.

I am not sure on who currently supplies the best digiital/analog gauges for 4-wheelers. I am sure good stuff is available even locally and you will not have to dish out more than about Rs. 1000 for a good digital gauge. T-BHPians may be able to help you out here. You can try searching T-BHP postings -- I recollect seeing some info there.

Edit: If your analog gauges are more than 10 years old, they are probably not accurate -- rusting, dust, etc. will have taken its toll. So better to get new ones. Any good accessories shop will either have these or give you pointers on where to get them. The internet is also a good source of info.

If you are going to do a lot of highway driving, it is worth the money to get a good reliable gauge rather than rely on petrol bunks.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:26   #174
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
the price seems too high.
i got mine, an analogue one, from Doha for around 7 Riyals (Around 80 rupees) it works on cars and bikes with ease, the digital one was available for 20 Riyals. I checked the calibration with two of my "hawawala's" and it matched with their bigger gauges..
Mine is a "talking" gauge, i.e. I get to hear the pressure reading. This is very useful when the light is not very good or when one wants to take a repeat reading without taking off the gauge from the valve. This gauge also comes with a 5-year warranty and is claimed to be accurate under different weather conditions, etc. Still it is a bit costly. I bought it because of the excellent reviews wherein this gauge was shown to be more accurate than some other models.

I am now very much dependent on this gauge as the one on my air compressor is totally unreliable. I have now (almost) perfected the technique for taking readings without letting off air, but this is still a bit of a pain. I have to position the tyre so that the valve points straight down in order to get the correct angle, etc.
Old 14th May 2008, 21:28   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
Is it advisable to buy one of those tyre pressure gauges from ebay?
I would suggest you buy it from a reputed tire dealer. Ishaantirewala might be able to help you source one.
Old 17th May 2008, 11:42   #176
BHPian

Compressor of Merc

Bought a used compressor of Merc on ebay. Can fill air at home now. Also comes with a pressure guage

Nirmal
Tyre pressure, have you checked yours lately?-img_8175.jpg
Tyre pressure, have you checked yours lately?-img_8176.jpg
Old 17th May 2008, 12:59   #177
BHPian

Ok, so I my CR-V booklet and the side slip near the driver door says the tyre pressure to be 30psi. But sometimes I feel is 30psi is enough for such a huge vehicle? Should I increase it to 32psi or something?
Old 17th May 2008, 13:57   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Bought a used compressor of Merc on ebay. Can fill air at home now. Also comes with a pressure guage

Nirmal
hey thats a damn neat and compact package..
how much did you get it for?
Old 17th May 2008, 15:24   #179
BHPian

Ok, so in my CR-V booklet and the side slip near the driver door the tyre pressure is wrtitten 30psi. But sometimes I feel is 30psi enough for such a huge vehicle? Should I increase it to 32psi or something?

ps: sorry for so many gramatical errors in the last post, will post more carefully.
Old 17th May 2008, 16:01   #180
Senior - BHPian

Always follow the mfg's recommended tyre pressure, THEY KNOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Ok, so in my CR-V booklet and the side slip near the driver door the tyre pressure is wrtitten 30psi. But sometimes I feel is 30psi enough for such a huge vehicle? Should I increase it to 32psi or something?

ps: sorry for so many gramatical errors in the last post, will post more carefully.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks