Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:05   #196
Senior - BHPian

I have experienced the same thing a couple of times and yes, things are not different here. Most often there won't be any attendants to fill the air. We have complained about the same to the petrol pump owners/managers. But it's of no use! We can't change their attitude!

At last after getting fed up with the attitude of the attendants, my father learnt 'how to fill the air using that 'machine'(Thanks to that friendly petrol pump attendant).

So, we don't have any need to wait for the attendants! We find happy filling up the air ourselves!

Last edited by Klub Class : 2nd August 2010 at 11:12.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:09   #197
BHPian

i always make sure to ask the petrol filling guy if aircheck is available.
If he says 'no' i don't fill fuel from there and move to the next bunk.

If many people start doing this bunk owners will be forced to offer aircheck at all times.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:15   #198
BHPian

Daewood, the problem here is that there a very few trusted petrol bunks. If I dont refuel in the bunk just because it doesnt offer me air pressure checkup, then I would need to drive some-where else to find a petrol bunk which offers fuel+aircheck up.

What you had suggested hold good if 80% of the bunks sell unadulterated petrol.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:43   #199
BHPian

Well, why do you check only at the air pumps on petrol bunks? Why not visit the the neighborhood cycle repair shop?
Or still better, why not buy your own foot pump and pressure meter?

Regards,
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:50   #200
BHPian

I am sorry, there arent many cycle repair shops and it is much easier to find a petrol bunk rather than find a cycle repair shop. Even if I find one, they arent big enough for you to park your car and check the air pressure.

But it is always a good idea to carry a mobile air pressure checker and mobile air pump.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:05   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
If its a long weekend, most petrol pumps say that their air pressure system is not working or no attendant to fill the air.
I check air pressure for both car and bike at the Shell pump every Sunday morning. They always oblige with a smile and "thank you" even though I fill petrol only once a month. If the attendant is not available, the station manager himself mans the air check point without a fuss.

I faced disappointment only once, when the compressor had gone kaput just a few minutes before my car entered. But it was up and running by lunch time.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:12   #202
Senior - BHPian

All the posts that I've read here, barring one, are from South. Does this seems to be a South centric problem? Well, I can't comment on that, but can surely tell you what happens here in Delhi/NCR.

Sunday is the day that you see the longest possible lines at the Air filling unit in petrol bunks. Most people fill fuel & air this day and I've hardly seen any air filling unit non-functional this day.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:44   #203
Team-BHP Support

If I can carry a foot operated pump in my Motorcycle while out on trips, I think you guys can very well carry one in the trunk.
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:04   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
I am sure that most of us have been through this and will continue to go through as well.

If its a long weekend, most petrol pumps say that their air pressure system is not working or no attendant to fill the air.

Why don't the petrol pumps realize that the importance of air pressure is as important as petrol/diesel.

Yesterday when I had to re-fuel, I waited for 15 mins for someone to come and fill up the air only to be told that air system is not working.

I went to another petrol pump on my way and again no body was willing to come and fill up.

Almost every other time, I fill up petrol, I have to run around hunting for some place to fill up air.

We all know that maintaining the correct Tyre pressure is of at most importance.

What do you normally do when faced with this situation?
Drive as is until you find some other place where air can be filled? or
Have a foot-operated or battery operation air filler which you use to fill up? or something else...

Does anyone have those air fillers sold by Big Bazaar which can be powered from car battery? Any reviews or links?

Mods: Please merge or take any action that you feel appropriate if this is not the right place to post or the same discussion is happening in some other thread. Thanks
I get it checked every 2 weeks or if I am filling fuel. I will check with the attendant if air is available and as I pay by CC, I park my vehicle next to the air counter, once he comes for signatures, I ask him for air, which he will fill if noone else is available.

At other times, If the attendent is not in sight....I fill it up myself, its not rocket science.

If the machine is out of order, I keep a tab and get it filled the next time I pass by and see a working machine.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:04   #205
BANNED

Petrol pump offers AIR as complimentary service.

I always carry portable pump which can be operated using 12 v cigarete lighter socket. No hassles.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:26   #206
Senior - BHPian

How accurate is your Portable Pump? Immediately after filling air with your Portable Pump, have you re-checked at some Petrol Pump?
How much did you pay for the Portable Pump? Pics please!

Last edited by jinojohnt : 2nd August 2010 at 19:27.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:06   #207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
How accurate is your Portable Pump? Immediately after filling air with your Portable Pump, have you re-checked at some Petrol Pump?
How much did you pay for the Portable Pump? Pics please!

Ya. Will Post the Pic.

It does have analog meter however we all were using analog till digital meters made their way to petrol pumps. I find it pretty reliable.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:19   #208
Senior - BHPian

I got nitrogen filled in my mom's car and was surprised to find that the pressure was the same in 3 tyres after a month. 1 tyre had 2 points drop(frm 30 psi to 28).

Nice I must say!

btw my dad has got a 150psi air pump powered by 12v cigarette lighter slot.
It does come quite handy for quick top ups at home and while on the go!
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:13   #209
BHPian

I got a portable 12V compressor recently (15 days ago) for Rs 850. This one is 'Made in Taiwan' (for a change!). For BHPians in Pune, please PM if interested. I can share details of the accessories shop. Have been doing all my purchases at him - pretty reliable.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:18   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
amohit : Why not visit the the neighborhood cycle repair shop?
Or still better, why not buy your own foot pump and pressure meter
Check the puncture shops also.
For a pump, try places like Metro. Or ask your accessories guy to get one for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks