Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 16:13   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Now at 13k and 3 years changing these tyres is one costly affair. They are excellent when it comes to grip and control, but the tyre life is a question mark. Has anyone else faced this issue ? Is this common in Michelin tyres or what could have been a cause for this ?
Does not look serious from the pictures and from the looks of it tyre pressure was not maintained properly \ regularly, there seems to be increased wear on the edge.

Performance tyres will wear poorly on our roads with no real benefits if you think about it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 16:35   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
To my surprise I noticed cracks on the wheels (these are prominent only on the outer side very few on the inner side of the tyre).
Is your car parked outside in the sun for long periods of time? That may explain why the cracks are on the outer side and not on the inner side of the tyres.

Better get them replaced as it is not safe to drive around with these esp on highways. Cracked tyres are also an indication of the rubber hardening, so they are likely to lose their gripping ability to some extent.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 16:52   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Is your car parked outside in the sun for long periods of time? That may explain why the cracks are on the outer side and not on the inner side of the tyres.

Better get them replaced as it is not safe to drive around with these esp on highways. Cracked tyres are also an indication of the rubber hardening, so they are likely to lose their gripping ability to some extent.
Thanks for the response.

Yes the car is parked outside in the sun for long periods; especially during the lockdown periods. I do periodically spray Armor All Tyre foam but surprised at the outcome. Is this common amongst all tyre brands or soft compound of sport oriented tyres has to do something with it.

Will change them as soon as I feel the loss in grip levels or cracks get visibly larger. They currently grip really well and thread depth is also decent.

Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:35   #109
BHPian

Got Pilot Sport 4 ST for my 2015 Jetta Highline AT yesterday, must say the difference is day & night (was running goodyear NCT)

Will plan a long drive soon to experience it on highways.

Got them at Premji's Thane.
Old 16th August 2021, 17:23   #110
BHPian

On a preowned car that I recently purchased, there were stock tyres from Bridgestone that were close to 4 years old. Although they had only 15,000+ km on them, there were plenty of micro cracks on the surface. A couple of people recommended I change them immediately to be safe while driving on highways.

I called up Madhus to find out if they had Michelin's back in stock (within the last 6 months, I got two sets of tyres changed here and they did not have Michelins at the time). As it turns out, both Primacy 4 ST (recommended strongly by BHPian keroo1099) and Pilot Sport 4 were available.

Upon reaching Madhus and a short discussion with Mohsin, he recommended me to try Pilot Sport 4 on the car. I've driven only 300km on them so far (mainly city with a couple of airport runs). They certainly feel quiet and comfortable to drive with. I understand that these tyres may not last beyond 30K km so curious to see how they fare.
anandavinash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 10:39   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Was idly scrolling through the Michelin website and noted a significant number of Pilot Sport 4 variants.

Posting screenshots & linky for everyone's convenience:
https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/m...I=438433#sizes
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-screenshot_20211128102632__01.jpg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-screenshot_20211128102644__01.jpg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-screenshot_20211128102657.jpg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-screenshot_20211128102718__01.jpg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-screenshot_20211128102731__01.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 13:44   #112
BHPian

My observations of using Michelin tires (XM1, XM2 and Primacy ST) on various cars in our family (Swift, Jazz, Figo, Rapid, Polo etc.) is that the outer layers of the tires become slightly brittle (mid life crisis may be ) after a few years/thousands of KMs and contact area looks patchy. However, this does not impact the performance or braking capacity of the tyre.
Old 24th September 2022, 13:31   #113

Are Pilot Sport 4 205/55/R16 discontinued? I am having hard time getting them and only Primacy 4 is available. Should I get Primacy for 2014 Superb? Please advice
Old 27th September 2022, 09:43   #114
sgm
BHPian

Hi,

I'm looking for comfort oriented, silent touring tires for my C220d. The OEM tires are 225/50 R17 MOE run flats. I need to get them changed in another month or so.

I have short listed the following, not sure which ones are available.

1) Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST : Silence Tuned version of PS4 for comfortable cruising
2) Michelin Primacy 4 : Should offer better comfort than PS4 ST
3) Michelin Primacy 3 ZP (run flats) : Better peace of mind but will come with a slightly harsher ride.

Any other suggestions ?
Old 27th September 2022, 10:16   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for comfort oriented, silent touring tires for my C220d. The OEM tires are 225/50 R17 MOE run flats. I need to get them changed in another month or so.

I have short listed the following, not sure which ones are available.

1) Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST : Silence Tuned version of PS4 for comfortable cruising
2) Michelin Primacy 4 : Should offer better comfort than PS4 ST
3) Michelin Primacy 3 ZP (run flats) : Better peace of mind but will come with a slightly harsher ride.

Any other suggestions ?
Without a doubt, Primacy 4. It is impeccably silent and once you experience it you will curse yourself for not switching earlier.
And AFAIK C class does come with a space saver spare, so you can switch from the RFTs without a worry.

P.S. I did the same switch on my X1 earlier this year and very happy with it
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 12:26   #116

Hello Members,

Does anyone know what's happening to these Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres?
Michelin is refusing any manufacturing defect claim.
These were bought in February 2021 (Manufactured 0920) from Chawla Tyres, Moradabad.
Running to date is only 17000km.
This was my first experience with Michelin Tyres, and really a bad one indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_3344.jpeg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_3347.jpeg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-6b4eec602c6c4f43963bc0d9b992c9bf.jpeg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_3343.jpeg  

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 officially launched in India!-img_3348.jpeg  

Old 9th February 2023, 13:05   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4X4 View Post
Hello Members,

Does anyone know what's happening to these Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres?
Michelin is refusing any manufacturing defect claim.
These were bought in February 2021 (Manufactured 0920) from Chawla Tyres, Moradabad.
Running to date is only 17000km.
Is this only on one tyre or on all of them? Were they ever run with min pressure after a puncture for a few Kms? The degradation seems to be on the middle of the sidewall which could be a result of running with zero pressure.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 14:49   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4X4 View Post
Have you tried approaching Michelin for warranty claim?
Old 9th February 2023, 15:24   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Is this only on one tyre or on all of them? Were they ever run with min pressure after a puncture for a few Kms? The degradation seems to be on the middle of the sidewall which could be a result of running with zero pressure.
All tyres have the same issue, but this one is the most affected.
These never deflated while running. And air pressure is also maintained every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Have you tried approaching Michelin for warranty claim?
Yes, they have rejected the claim.
Old 9th February 2023, 18:44   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost looks like someone has rubbed some acid-type material on your tyre sidewall. There have been complaints about PS3 tread/sidewall edge cracking but that was due to prolonged unuse + sunlight during C-19 times.

This is a new one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks