Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 13:39   #151
BHPian

Vibration on 120

Dear Nikhil / iraghava/ experts,

On my recent drive of around 1100 plus kilometers on my 4 months old Verna VGT, I have observed the following :-

1) there is a slight vibration on the steering wheel at 120.. this vibration is not consistent, it seems to be happening only 75 percent of the times, while at other times i fail to notice it.

2) this vibration is prominent when i release the gas pedal on the mentioned speeds.

3) this vibration is also noticed when i brakes on higher speeds.

4) this vibration is also noticed intermittently while driving on curvy roads at mentioed speeds.

5) there seems to be a slight play in the steering only at higher speeds.

6) the car pulls towards left when the steering is left alone.

Other facts :

1) I have upgraded the tyres to yokohamas ES 100 205/60 R14 from the stock 185 65/r14. This was done to increase & to decrease the bouncy ride of this car on the higher speeds. The tyre upgrade has done the trick, but i wonder if the problems reported above are the side affects of the upgrade.

2) before we start doubting the balancing, the balancing was done at Shiva's on the New BEL road in Bangalore. An acute wobble was observed on the steering post that balancing & alignment job, and & that is when I reported it to Trident Hyundai in kalyan-nagar & they offerred to get the balancing & alignment done at Madhus on residency road. I am not sure if the alignment was done again, neverthless re-balancing at madhus has brought down the wobble on steering to a minimal level.

Must I get the balancing done one more time before i start for bangalore, & the alignement done as well? Any other inputs please?

Thanks - Vig
Old 18th August 2010, 14:36   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
The tyre upgrade has done the trick, but i wonder if the problems reported above are the side affects of the upgrade.
Can you please check the difference in settings before and after your car balancing was done. And try to see if you can change it to factory settings even if it is within the tolerance range. For my car, I have never been satisfied with Private wheel aligners. For me it has always been a Dealer service station, inspite of Private guys having better equipment.
Old 18th August 2010, 18:35   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Avigster, can you check the tyre pressures using a well calibrated gauge?
Old 18th August 2010, 22:58   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Hi Avigster, can you check the tyre pressures using a well calibrated gauge?

Hi Nikhil,

I got Nitrogen inflated before I started from Bangalore. I believe the pressure was 32 ps.

Must I check it again?

- Ashit Vig.
Old 19th August 2010, 00:18   #155
Senior - BHPian

Ashit.

What rims are you using ? Stock alloys / steel rims or after market alloys ??

Vibration while braking is a common problem in Verna. Get the brake discs checked.
Old 19th August 2010, 08:57   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ashit.

Vibration while braking is a common problem in Verna. Get the brake discs checked.
Hi Kpzen, Thanks!

These are stock alloys; I believe the specs are 5.5J. I understand that I am sitting on the boundary of limitation of these alloys & their compatability with 205 profile tyre, I still wonder if the mentioned problems are the side affects of the upgrade.

Going through yokohama tyre companys website, I learnt that 205 needs a minimum allloy width of 5.5J.

Thanks.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:02   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ashit.

Hi Kpzen, Thanks!

These are stock alloys; I believe the specs are 5.5J. I understand that I am sitting on the boundary of limitation of these alloys & their compatability with 205 profile tyre, I still wonder if the mentioned problems are the side affects of the upgrade.

Going through yokohama tyre companys website, I learnt that 205 needs a minimum allloy width of 5.5J.

Thanks.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:49   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
Dear Nikhil / iraghava/ experts,

On my recent drive of around 1100 plus kilometers on my 4 months old Verna VGT, I have observed the following :-

1) there is a slight vibration on the steering wheel at 120.. this vibration is not consistent, it seems to be happening only 75 percent of the times, while at other times i fail to notice it.

2) this vibration is prominent when i release the gas pedal on the mentioned speeds.

3) this vibration is also noticed when i brakes on higher speeds.

4) this vibration is also noticed intermittently while driving on curvy roads at mentioed speeds.

5) there seems to be a slight play in the steering only at higher speeds.

6) the car pulls towards left when the steering is left alone.

Other facts :

1) I have upgraded the tyres to yokohamas ES 100 205/60 R14 from the stock 185 65/r14. This was done to increase & to decrease the bouncy ride of this car on the higher speeds. The tyre upgrade has done the trick, but i wonder if the problems reported above are the side affects of the upgrade.

2) before we start doubting the balancing, the balancing was done at Shiva's on the New BEL road in Bangalore. An acute wobble was observed on the steering post that balancing & alignment job, and & that is when I reported it to Trident Hyundai in kalyan-nagar & they offerred to get the balancing & alignment done at Madhus on residency road. I am not sure if the alignment was done again, neverthless re-balancing at madhus has brought down the wobble on steering to a minimal level.

Must I get the balancing done one more time before i start for bangalore, & the alignement done as well? Any other inputs please?

Thanks - Vig

UPDATE :

Showed it to a local Hyundai authorised dealer in Vapi-Gujrat & he pointed towards the balancing being the root cause one more time. Amazingly, this time the balancing did the trick. While on my trip back to Bangalore, I didn't feel any vibration or steering play on higher speeds at all, & the car felt really composed at 120. ...NICE!!!

Another interesting thing this guy did was to swap the rear left wheel with the front one, & he also inflated the front left with 3PS of extra tyre pressure to successfully rectify the annoying left pull as well. As per him, most of the vernas have a left pull issue due to a not really well designed suspension geometry.

Another thing he noted was that on rear wheels, although they were balanced by experts, we saw two weights on differrent parts of the rim. I am not sure if that is an expected way to balance a wheel but the local mechanic was definitely cross with the idea.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!! - " A Happy Vig "
Old 16th May 2011, 11:27   #159
BANNED

Re: Tyres for Hyundai Verna - Edit: Review of Yoko C.Drive

HI Experts,
I ma planing to put 205*60*15 in my Verna;
I am looking for more comfortable ride; I believe wider foot print will provide better cushioning on bad road as well as provide better grip. any thoughts ?

I am planning to have upgrade today.
Please Advice ...
Old 16th May 2011, 21:42   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawandeep View Post
HI Experts,
I ma planing to put 205*60*15 in my Verna;
I am looking for more comfortable ride; I believe wider foot print will provide better cushioning on bad road as well as provide better grip. any thoughts ?

I am planning to have upgrade today.
Please Advice ...
The correct upsize would be 205/55 R15 or 205/50 R15, not 60.

One word of advice. Unless you're bent on changing the wheel size, I'd recommend you keep the upsize at 195/60 R14. Plenty more choices, cheaper price of both tyres and wheels . I can see that comfort is also a priority, so desist from going lesser than 60 profile.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:58   #161
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The correct upsize would be 205/55 R15 or 205/50 R15, not 60.

One word of advice. Unless you're bent on changing the wheel size, I'd recommend you keep the upsize at 195/60 R14. Plenty more choices, cheaper price of both tyres and wheels . I can see that comfort is also a priority, so desist from going lesser than 60 profile.
I am sorry about typo mistake ; its 205/60 R14
I have 14 inches 6J Apollo alloys;
I am looking for better grip (shorter braking distance similer to BS-GIII ), soft ride and less noise.
right now I have looking for 195/65 R14 (Yoko A-drive) but I do not have good experience with them as one of them blew off and A-Drive does not have good braking ability. this get worse if tyre get heated up.

will 205 (wider) provide smother and soft ride?

Please advice
Old 17th May 2011, 19:00   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawandeep View Post
I am sorry about typo mistake ; its 205/60 R14
I have 14 inches 6J Apollo alloys;
I am looking for better grip (shorter braking distance similer to BS-GIII ), soft ride and less noise.
right now I have looking for 195/65 R14 (Yoko A-drive) but I do not have good experience with them as one of them blew off and A-Drive does not have good braking ability. this get worse if tyre get heated up.

will 205 (wider) provide smother and soft ride?

Please advice
Again, the correct upsize in 14 inch is 195/60 R14, not 65 .

I'm using that size A-drives in my Verna CRDI and am quite happy with them. They've run 7000 Kms already and provide a silent, cushioned ride. I covered 650 kms in one day (from Chandipur,Orissa to Vizag, AP) running almost non-stop for 10.5 hrs. Yet the tyres did not heat up significantly and there was no loss of braking ability, even at highway speeds. Here's the link to the tyre change post on my ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2179445

However, if you have not had a good personal experience with them (and soft ride is one of your priorities) then I guess Michelin XM1+, Bridgestone Turanzas or Pirelli P7s are your only option. All 3 are available in 195/60 R14.

None of the above "all-rounder" tyres are available in 205/60 R14 though. For that you have to look at sportier (and noisier) options like Bridgestone Potenza GIII or Yoko ES100s.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:26   #163
BHPian

Hey guys, need some advice regarding the C drives. My thread was deleted so posting it again here.

Taking delivery of a Honda Jazz tomorrow and want to upsize to 195/60 R15 from the stock 175/65 R15. Primarily for better ride and slightly increased GC. Grip is not a major concern as its a city car. Now im considering both the C drives and Michelin Primacy LC's. The Micehlin's are ~800 bucks more expensive than the Yoko's. Ive read that the Michelin's are extremely soft which could be a bit of a concern. That and the price difference are pushing me towards the Yoko's. How soft are the Yoko's? And overall which tyres would you guys recommend?

Would appreciate it if anyone who has used any of these tyres could help me out. Thanks in advance

PS: What would be the buyback value of the stock tyres (XM1+) and steel rims?
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:56   #164
BHPian

If a softer ride is what you're looking at, go for the V550 decibel rather than C-Drive
Old 11th September 2011, 14:10   #165
BHPian

I dont know if this is the right thread to out this but I could not find any thread for the Fluidic Verna.

Does the ANHV SX (O) require a tyre upgrade? During the TD, I could not make out as the road was really bad and did not have turns for high speeds. What is the suggestion for the SX(o). Leave the stocks on or go for an upgrade? Is any kind of warranty void if we upsize? I believe ride quality will improve after upsizing but has anyone tried doing that yet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks