Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Alloy wheels for Scorpio

I have a 2006 Jan Scorpio. The ride was not so exciting esp in the back seats. Will it help to some extent if I upgrade to a better alloy wheels with matching Bridgestones?

If so, which brand is good?

Chennaities : any good suggestion in Chennai for alloy wheels. Criteria is price of course and good and knowledgeable service.

Thanks.
Old 9th August 2008, 07:59   #17
BHPian

People! No one wants to reply?!
Old 9th August 2008, 09:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Lots of options are available in the market including (but not limited to) HR, Prestige, Plati, Aura, Neo etc. etc.

Best thing is to go to a few tyre shops in your city & check out what all is available & then decide. If you need references for tyre shops in your city, PM Nitrous.
Old 9th August 2008, 12:50   #19
BHPian

Lenso and HR has a good collection of wheels for the scorpio.if you need any reference pm me .
Old 19th August 2008, 15:15   #20

Can we downsize from 16in to 15in for Scorpio

Hi All,

Wanted to know from the experts if we will be able to downsize from 16in to 15in Alloys for the mHawk?
Old 19th August 2008, 15:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_inasu@gma View Post
Hi All,

Wanted to know from the experts if we will be able to downsize from 16in to 15in Alloys for the mHawk?
mHawk original size is 15 * 160 Pcd !! I suppose I am right
Old 29th August 2008, 10:45   #22

Guys,
I have a Scorpio maded in Brasil, and I would like to know, what is biggest tyre 16" that fits in the Scorpio 2008 whith the stock alloy wheels ?
Could be a 265 75 R16 ?
Old 29th August 2008, 12:13   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

265 size - but this will definitely rub against the wheel wells while turning etc.
Also - your steering will become heavier.

My suggestion to you is please send a private message to Mr Behram Dhabhar who is an expert on this and whose opinion I value personally - Queries on Scorpio alloy wheel/ tyre size etc will probably be best answered by him.
I will mail him also today and request his help for you

cheerio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisses View Post
Guys,
I have a Scorpio maded in Brasil, and I would like to know, what is biggest tyre 16" that fits in the Scorpio 2008 whith the stock alloy wheels ?
Could be a 265 75 R16 ?
Old 29th August 2008, 12:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - please read carefully, I am clarifying all Scorpio alloy wheel related queries. The wheel and tyre assembly are an integral part of the car and I would request all of you to refrain from deviating from the OEM specifications which are as follows, for the following technical reasons which make a lot of sense.

Wheel mounting PCD - 160mm
Wheel offset - +55mm (wheel centre is 55 mm inside brake drum). Please DO NOT change this value as if this is changed, the scrub radius changes which completely upsets the suspension and steering performance. Aftermarket wheels have +10 and +45 mm offset which will increase your wheel track by 90 mm and 20 mm respectively. It will also introduce additional eccentricity on your wheel bearings which is not good. As the tyre envelope will change, the tyre will touch all over the place and make you miserable. By the time you will realise all this, you would have paid a lot of money to get your car spoilt and your ego will not even let you speak out that you were right royally taken. Please be careful. Except perhaps for the fact that aftermarket wheels look snazzy, they do nothing. We don't even know the material composition of what we are buying and everybody will agree that a wheel is a safety critical item. My recommendation - NO DEVIATION FROM OEM SPECIFICATION.
Wheel nut geometry - the wheel nuts supplied for Scorpio with steel wheels and Scorpio with alloy wheels are of different geometry in the mounting area. Please DO NOT deviate at all. This is an assembly which must be useed as a set. No matter what any shopkeeper tells you, please do not compromise on safety. The steel wheel nut has a spherical seat whereas the alloy wheel nut has a taper seat.
Wheel cap for VLX - the initial vehicles had the hub caps jutting out but now for 2WD, flat wheel caps are introduced in production. The bigger hub caps are used only for 4WD application.
Somebody's query on downsizing wheel from 16" to 15" - why on earth do you want to do such things? Anyway, 16' wheel was done to accommodate the twin pot caliper and downsizing is impossible as the caliper will foul the wheel. Anyways, the tyre OD is same so why would anybody want to do something like this? Just leave it alone, please.

A special request to the teamBHPian who started this thread - if you are buying the Scorpio VLX, please note that it is supplied with factory equipped alloy wheels. Please do not end up spending additional money to spoil / dilute the specifications. The wheels are tuned with the suspension spring rates and damper settings to provide correct balance of ride and handling. The spring rates and damper settings for the V series are different from other Scorpios.

Whew! I hope this clarifies. Please send me a PM if you want additional information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 29th August 2008 at 13:07. Reason: additional information
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2008, 13:28   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thanks so much Behramji.
Kind of you to clarify this.

I will request your help on this wheel nut for alloy wheels fixed on my jeep in the interests of safety. the last thing I want is to have trouble when driving on a highway or hill road.

thanks again

cheerio

sb
Old 2nd September 2008, 01:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
265 size - but this will definitely rub against the wheel wells while turning etc.
Also - your steering will become heavier.

My suggestion to you is please send a private message to Mr Behram Dhabhar who is an expert on this and whose opinion I value personally - Queries on Scorpio alloy wheel/ tyre size etc will probably be best answered by him.
I will mail him also today and request his help for you

cheerio
Thanks cheerio, I will mail him.
Old 6th July 2009, 17:27   #27
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Wheel nut geometry - the wheel nuts supplied for Scorpio with steel wheels and Scorpio with alloy wheels are of different geometry in the mounting area. Please DO NOT deviate at all. This is an assembly which must be useed as a set. No matter what any shopkeeper tells you, please do not compromise on safety. The steel wheel nut has a spherical seat whereas the alloy wheel nut has a taper seat.
Sir, I am a little confused here. Sorry if i'm asking a silly question, but if an aftermarket alloy is installed with original steel wheel nuts, is it an issue? Or do we need to install 'alloy wheel nuts' for an aftermarket alloys set? Can you please clarify ??
Old 28th August 2009, 16:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Behram same question as NIP from my side. I am looking at installing alloys some time soon on my new SLE. What do you suggest ? Stick to the stock lugnuts or aftermarket one's should be ok ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Sir, I am a little confused here. Sorry if i'm asking a silly question, but if an aftermarket alloy is installed with original steel wheel nuts, is it an issue? Or do we need to install 'alloy wheel nuts' for an aftermarket alloys set? Can you please clarify ??
Old 28th August 2009, 16:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Riju, it also depends on the alloys. Some alloys are designed in such a way that you HAVE to use different nuts. Allen key bolts.

There have been a few incidents that I'm aware of where alloys fitted with aftermarket nuts came off! And I dont know why but all of these were for bigger vehicles like Scorpio, Bolero, Safari.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 28th August 2009 at 16:23.
Old 31st August 2009, 20:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Riju, it also depends on the alloys. Some alloys are designed in such a way that you HAVE to use different nuts. Allen key bolts.

There have been a few incidents that I'm aware of where alloys fitted with aftermarket nuts came off! And I dont know why but all of these were for bigger vehicles like Scorpio, Bolero, Safari.
Thanks for your response Nikhil. Well this is a matter of concern for me now and looks like I would have to choose the right fit of lug-nuts 1st and then the alloy :( .

What width are we talking here if I were to change to alloys 7J or 8J ? I don't want my Scorpio running on 3 wheels while on the highway.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks