Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2009, 22:14   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

7j is ok. You can fit 235/70 R16 comfortably or upsize to 255/65 R16. I would recommend you to stick to the stock size as you really dont need such a wide tyre given that the Scorpio is not all that powerful.

Aura never needed special bolts. You can check out SSW alloys. They dont need special bolts as well. I will find out about Apollo Accelere and let you know tomorrow.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Whatta day !! I went scouting for alloys for the big machine at home. Darn I was in for a big surprise and guess what , finding alloys for a white SUV is next to impossible in town.
I have already zeroed in on the tyres and wanted the alloys too.

My idea was to get something in hyper black/titanium finish to suit the white color, however I couldn't find anything worthwhile.

Apollo has some brilliant wheels for the sedans and hatch backs. They have a model SC-32 for SUV's which is available only in the silver finish. Dint interest me much and hence moved over to Lenso's.

The RAIDEN series is to die for with the latest designs , no use they don't fit the scorp and have been designed keeping the hatch backs and sedans in mind. Whats available for the SUV's are too dated.

Found umpteem brands of chinese alloys , however decided to stay away from them. Plati' has the color I am looking for , but the design is again old.Back to square one and hunting again.
Old 13th October 2009, 21:37   #33
BHPian

i've got aura alloys fitted as stock on VLX for my SLE. Got them at pretty good price as well.
Was looking for some good alloys. Did some research here on TBHP and found out that it was not advisable to alter the PCD and offset values of original wheels. Most of the alloys available in market were either not good enough, or had these values varying hugely from prescribed ones.
So, decided on these as they are manufactured on specific orders from the company itself. Plus they look pretty good as well.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:18   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraddict1 View Post
I'm using 16" hijoin wheels. They are awesome and add to the butch look of the Scorpio. Was never a fan of Aura.

It looks very nice. But is cleaning easier with the bolt like design around the RIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Sir, I am a little confused here. Sorry if i'm asking a silly question, but if an aftermarket alloy is installed with original steel wheel nuts, is it an issue? Or do we need to install 'alloy wheel nuts' for an aftermarket alloys set? Can you please clarify ??
You can get a set of Nuts/Bolts for the Alloys you buy which matches with it. Most of the shops charge extra for that.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Dippy : 21st October 2009 at 12:02. Reason: See note in post
Old 4th December 2009, 16:25   #35
BHPian

Greetings,

Here is my car, i have an R15 alloys with a Goodyear 255/70 R15 tyres.
And it has 50k on the ODO now.

having owned three Scorpio`s , I think these tires make a difference in comfort.

Have Fun
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy wheels for Scorpio-snapshot-20091204-161729.jpg  

Old 6th December 2009, 21:29   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys:

How do you change the rims of a VLX scorpio? Won't that mess up the Tire pressure monitoring system? Can the Tyre Pressure monitoring sensor be installed on regular alloys?
Old 7th December 2009, 01:35   #37
BHPian

@ 4x4addict : The Tyre Pressure monitoring system will not be messed up if you use it with a non OEM alloys. I have been using them on non OEM alloys and it seems to work fine. But, however the A.S.S will not support you with anything related to TPMS.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@capt.chandru:

Thanks for the info. I thought it is something that is attached to the rim. So it looks like it can be used with non OE rims as well. This is good to know since I am not a big fan of the Scorpio OE rims as the tires are flush, almost inside the body. I like SUVs to have a wider track.

Can you also confirm that 255 width tires are fine and won't rub the body/fenders?
Old 7th December 2009, 14:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

hi dude
yes the original ones come flush with the body line
they are 5.5J.

the Aura ones that I fixed are 6.5J and marginally stick out a bit as can be seen from photos of the scorp.

my scorp runs well on highways as well as in the hills around curves - it does stick to the road well on account of the slightly wider track. i can feel clearly that stability is better. same case with my old Bolero in which also I had fitted Aura Alloys.

Unfortunately Aura has shut down operations since.

No other alterations in terms of settings or anything else have been made on mine in line with Mr Behram Dhabhar's note.

And I got the Alloys fitted before taking delivery of the vehicle - they were fitted by the chaps at the Mahindra dealership itself.

so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@capt.chandru:

Thanks for the info. I thought it is something that is attached to the rim. So it looks like it can be used with non OE rims as well. This is good to know since I am not a big fan of the Scorpio OE rims as the tires are flush, almost inside the body. I like SUVs to have a wider track.

Can you also confirm that 255 width tires are fine and won't rub the body/fenders?
Old 14th December 2009, 18:22   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.chandru View Post
Greetings,

Here is my car, i have an R15 alloys with a Goodyear 255/70 R15 tyres.
And it has 50k on the ODO now.

having owned three Scorpio`s , I think these tires make a difference in comfort.

Have Fun
I believe I have seen your car twice or more times at somewhere, at Mettupalayam road. Your alloys attracted me. :-)

Last edited by agbenny : 14th December 2009 at 18:38.
Old 14th December 2009, 23:35   #41
BHPian

@4x4addict : The 255 tyres will rub the body , but it can be sorted by cutting down a bit of unwanted plastic around there, you will not see any difference. You can have a look at my car for reference.

@agbenny : Thanks agbenny, Yeah, i live by mettupalayam road, so you should have seen them around.
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:11   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.chandru View Post
@4x4addict : The 255 tyres will rub the body , but it can be sorted by cutting down a bit of unwanted plastic around there, you will not see any difference. You can have a look at my car for reference.

@agbenny : Thanks agbenny, Yeah, i live by mettupalayam road, so you should have seen them around.
Cool, you should be to see me too, I live near GN Mills. Honk on my back if you happen to see the team-bhp stickers in my Purple Scorpio.

BTW, where did you do these changes in Alloys/Tyres?

Last edited by agbenny : 22nd December 2009 at 17:13.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Cool, you should be to see me too, I live near GN Mills. Honk on my back if you happen to see the team-bhp stickers in my Purple Scorpio.

BTW, where did you do these changes in Alloys/Tyres?
Sure. Buzz me if you got time. We should have a BHP meet sometime.
Email : kchxyz@gmail.

And with the alloys, i got it from Chennai in DEC 2007.
Old 21st February 2010, 14:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Need info about OE Scorpio alloys

Hello,

I've booked a White 7 seater Scorpio SLE on Feb 12, and am planning to fit the OE Scorpio alloys to it. The hitch is that the M & M dealer is quoting too steep a price for them. Can anyone here guide me as to how I can source these alloys via the after market route? I'm based in Pune.

Any other alloy wheel suggestions are also welcome (no upsize or downsize please)!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 21st February 2010, 21:30   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

How much is he quoting for them? In Bangalore, there is a lot of dead stock of old Aura Scorpio alloys. These were made for M&M by Aura before they went out of business.... If you know someone in B'lore, ask them to scout around on your behalf.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks