Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 00:29   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello Dhabhar,

What if someone goes with the original settings but different looks. Like for Scorpio Mhawk Vlx...Is it a good idea to go for Neo wheels Claw edition? Will it have different setting that you mentioned? With the size 16 *6.5?

Please suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - please read carefully, I am clarifying all Scorpio alloy wheel related queries. The wheel and tyre assembly are an integral part of the car and I would request all of you to refrain from deviating from the OEM specifications which are as follows, for the following technical reasons which make a lot of sense.

Wheel mounting PCD - 160mm
Wheel offset - +55mm (wheel centre is 55 mm inside brake drum). Please DO NOT change this value as if this is changed, the scrub radius changes which completely upsets the suspension and steering performance. Aftermarket wheels have +10 and +45 mm offset which will increase your wheel track by 90 mm and 20 mm respectively. It will also introduce additional eccentricity on your wheel bearings which is not good. As the tyre envelope will change, the tyre will touch all over the place and make you miserable. By the time you will realise all this, you would have paid a lot of money to get your car spoilt and your ego will not even let you speak out that you were right royally taken. Please be careful. Except perhaps for the fact that aftermarket wheels look snazzy, they do nothing. We don't even know the material composition of what we are buying and everybody will agree that a wheel is a safety critical item. My recommendation - NO DEVIATION FROM OEM SPECIFICATION.
Wheel nut geometry - the wheel nuts supplied for Scorpio with steel wheels and Scorpio with alloy wheels are of different geometry in the mounting area. Please DO NOT deviate at all. This is an assembly which must be useed as a set. No matter what any shopkeeper tells you, please do not compromise on safety. The steel wheel nut has a spherical seat whereas the alloy wheel nut has a taper seat.
Wheel cap for VLX - the initial vehicles had the hub caps jutting out but now for 2WD, flat wheel caps are introduced in production. The bigger hub caps are used only for 4WD application.
Somebody's query on downsizing wheel from 16" to 15" - why on earth do you want to do such things? Anyway, 16' wheel was done to accommodate the twin pot caliper and downsizing is impossible as the caliper will foul the wheel. Anyways, the tyre OD is same so why would anybody want to do something like this? Just leave it alone, please.

A special request to the teamBHPian who started this thread - if you are buying the Scorpio VLX, please note that it is supplied with factory equipped alloy wheels. Please do not end up spending additional money to spoil / dilute the specifications. The wheels are tuned with the suspension spring rates and damper settings to provide correct balance of ride and handling. The spring rates and damper settings for the V series are different from other Scorpios.

Whew! I hope this clarifies. Please send me a PM if you want additional information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th September 2011, 23:59   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit_relan View Post
Hello Dhabhar,

What if someone goes with the original settings but different looks. Like for Scorpio Mhawk Vlx...Is it a good idea to go for Neo wheels Claw edition? Will it have different setting that you mentioned? With the size 16 *6.5?

Please suggest.
Hi Vinit,
waiting for reply to your query from gurus as I too want to go for Neo wheels Claw edition for my new Scorp SLE
Old 19th September 2011, 22:27   #63
BHPian

Today I got Neo wheels Claw edition fitted on my Scorp. Looks of my Scorp improved with alloys (Size is 16 * 6.5). Only drawback is, if I want to go for wider tyres at a later date, I need to change alloys also.
Old 20th September 2011, 08:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Today I got Neo wheels Claw edition fitted on my Scorp. Looks of my Scorp improved with alloys (Size is 16 * 6.5). Only drawback is, if I want to go for wider tyres at a later date, I need to change alloys also.
With 6.5J wheels you can go up-to 235 section width. How much wider do you intend to go, 255 ?
Old 20th September 2011, 10:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
With 6.5J wheels you can go up-to 235 section width. How much wider do you intend to go, 255 ?
Yes we can go up to 235 with 6.5J which is Scorpio stock size (235/70 R16 with 6.5J wheels). I have no intention to go for wider tyres even in future and thus I went for Neo Claw edition (Neo Claw alloys were officially sold by Mahindra authorised dealer and they will come with 6.5J only). Anyone who wants to fit Neo Claw Alloys on Scorpio should keep this point in mind that if they want to go for wider tyres in future (may be after 1 or 2 years), they cannot do it with Neo Claw edition and need to change alloys with higher width.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:06   #66
BHPian

Saw these Konig alloys on a black scorpio at a highway joint while returning from bangalore . was looking very hot .
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy wheels for Scorpio-dscf6742.jpg  

Old 20th September 2011, 18:44   #67
Senior - BHPian

rm_arjuna a black one rite ? Have seen this scorp in Bangalore and those wheels are smoking hot. Heavy on your pockets though. After having spent so much on those alloys, he still runs it with the Apollo hawkz .
Old 21st September 2011, 11:43   #68
BHPian

Is it available in stock size, 16x6.5J? Looks interesting but I could not find this design in their site.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:49   #69
BHPian

Yes it was a black lx with an out of Bangalore registration , BF goodrich tires would up the oomph further than these apollo hawkz .

Any idea how much would these alloys cost .
Old 21st September 2011, 13:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Easily upwards of 8/9k per alloy AFAIK. Had seen a set of 5 at Chameleon about a year back and was priced at something around 50k plus.
Old 7th November 2011, 14:36   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a 2.6 SLX with these alloys recently. Pic quality is poor - taken at night & at a signal. Simple hyper-silver type, no black sections.

Alloy wheels for Scorpio-scorp-alloy2a.jpg

Benny, can you do any enhancement of this image ?

The guy had blackened the D-pillars also, and looked quite good.

Thread closed. Please post your queries in the existing thread - Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2015 at 12:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks