Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 13:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude

So my Ciaz (The Ciazzler® | Our Nexa Blue Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz Petrol (Alpha)) came shod with Apollo Alnac 4G 195/55R16 tyres from the factory.

Less than a week later, one of the tyres failed - read about it here (The Ciazzler® | Our Nexa Blue Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz Petrol (Alpha)). It was repaired, and put to use over the next 11,000 km as one of the rear tyres, without showing any sign of impending failure.

Last month, on our way back from Dehradun, we ran a flat on the other rear tyre, when the car was quickly stopped and the tyre changed. But obviously, it wasn't quick enough, even when forewarned by TPMS, since the sidewall was beyond repair.

Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude-alnac4gsidewall-1.jpg

Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude-alnac4gsidewall-2.jpg

Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude-alnac4gsidewall-3.jpg

Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude-alnac4gsidewall-4.jpg

Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude-alnac4gsidewall-5.jpg

Once I was back in town, my tyre shop (Multibrand Tyre Shop - Tyre Emporium (Malviya Nagar, Delhi)) saw the tyre, and advised me to get a new tyre. From his reports (as well from a few friends in both MSIL and the tyre industry), I understood that Alnac 4G fitted to Ciaz and Balenos as OE have had frequent issues with their sidewalls, and Apollo has been replacing some tyres on a need-to basis for up to one year, if claims are submitted through MSIL or its dealers.

So it would be wrong for me to expect any warranty claim, because the car is already 21 months old, you'd say. I agree. But a known issue needs to be addressed by a company to retain their goodwill, even after their proposed warranty period. But the rather disappointing reply I received was: ...no budget is available even to clear MSIL cases, so we cannot do any goodwill adjustment. Due to less profitability, company is cost-cutting....

But then, I wasn't asking for tyre replacement - only a reasonable discount on their tyres. The Amazer series carry an unconditional warranty of 2 years, and I was told my size was available. Then came the response - ...we have only Alnac 4G pattern available in this size and best buy is Rs.5800/tyre. This tyre does not have any unconditional warranty. But the price I was quoted was pretty much the market price (as quoted by my tyre shop), so where was there any special discount?

I finally went for two Goodyear Assurance TripleMax tyres, and decided to upsize to 195/60R16. Will replace the other two tyres as well soon. I'm fed up with the Alnac 4G OE supply, and I am fed up with Apollo's attitude towards its customers. If they cannot do any goodwill adjustment due to less profitability (!!), there are other tyre companies that are happy to provide better warranty terms. Goodyear has a 2-year unconditional warranty, and a pro-rata warranty for 5 years.

Apollo Tyres, you just lost a customer.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 20th November 2020 at 13:41.
SS-Traveller is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 14:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude

I have two cars with me and within family running Apollo rubber. Ford Aspire TDCi running Apollo Alnac & Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS (new car).

Ford Aspire is now close to 3 and half years with 30k on oddo. I am personally satisfied with the performance of these tyres. Yes, they are little noisy or ride quality is little hard over other big names like Michelin or Yokohama but they are turning out to be durable & offering satisfactory grip levels in different road condition I am driving on.

Till date, I have picked up only two punctures. Out of which one can be called deliberate.

Over all, I am satisfied & I may consider buying the same brand & make again. Mainly due to unused spare tyre (I plan to buy 3 replacement & use the unused spare as 4th).

Now coming to tyre warranty, I have zero experience claiming tyre warranty. But just looking at the terms and condition, not just OEM tyres, rather OEM battery too doesn't get this goodwill gesture.

I am not saying you are wrong in expecting some caring attitude & policy from the company, but this is India. Here, consumers are taken from granted with virtually zero consumer protection law. Matter of fact, there should have been a recall. If this issue is as widespread as reported by you, in any western country, this will be considered for a recall case to replace all these questionable tyres.

Technically, Apollo is within their rights to refuse you warranty or goodwill gesture but practically, it looks like that lame response from Maruti about those GNCAP results. Apollo & Maruti should have been proactive towards the recall and if not that, at-least some discount (as in Pro rata basis) was definitely expected.

I would like to draw attention towards the Ford Aspire / Figo MRF issue. Not exactly same but similar as tyre warranty or dispute was involved. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...go-aspire.html (Ford replacing problematic MRF tyres on Figo & Aspire) Ford as manufacture did few things right whereas in this case Maruti is doing wrong I feel.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 15:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

BTW, is your car running on tubes? Never heard of tubeless tires losing air so quickly other than due to sidewall cuts.

Are you sure it can be claimed through warranty/ goodwill? Isn't this wear and tear due to a puncture? I doubt if this request will be entertained even if Apollo had sufficient funds for warranty replacements too.

We had a similar situation too with the tires barely having run 15k kms but I'm guessing all tires will face the same issue especially with softer rubber being used for enhancing ride and handling.

Considering your demand, it's a good choice that you went with the Goodyear Assurance tires- they're known for their warranties!
Turbohead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 18:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Ford Aspire is now close to 3 and half years with 30k on oddo. I am personally satisfied with the performance of these tyres.
Is it Alnac, Alnac 4G, or Alnac 4GS? It appears that the sidewall-related complaints are only for the Alnac 4G tyres.
Quote:
I am not saying you are wrong in expecting some caring attitude & policy from the company, but this is India. Here, consumers are taken from granted with virtually zero consumer protection law. Matter of fact, there should have been a recall. If this issue is as widespread as reported by you, in any western country, this will be considered for a recall case to replace all these questionable tyres.
As you said, some manufacturers are proactive...
Quote:
I would like to draw attention towards the Ford Aspire / Figo MRF issue. Not exactly same but similar as tyre warranty or dispute was involved. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...go-aspire.html (Ford replacing problematic MRF tyres on Figo & Aspire) Ford as manufacture did few things right whereas in this case Maruti is doing wrong I feel.
I guess the additional cost of the tyres/batteries being replaced too soon is a lesser evil than trying to claim warranty for these tyres/batteries. Oh, well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
BTW, is your car running on tubes? Never heard of tubeless tires losing air so quickly other than due to sidewall cuts.
No, I never run on tubes, unless it's a bicycle . Yes, it was rapid deflation. I'm surprised myself. There were no sidewall hits or "kerbing" of the tyre before this incident.
Quote:
Are you sure it can be claimed through warranty/ goodwill? Isn't this wear and tear due to a puncture? I doubt if this request will be entertained even if Apollo had sufficient funds for warranty replacements too.
Maybe it could be replaced. May be not. But the company perfunctorily telling the customer that nothing can be done because there's no budget (not even a reasonable discount on a new tyre) reeks of bad attitude.
Quote:
...I'm guessing all tires will face the same issue especially with softer rubber being used for enhancing ride and handling.
Not really. When a tyre shop or an industry insider tells you there's a problem, there certainly IS one. Manufacturers cannot ignore it.
Quote:
...Goodyear Assurance tires- they're known for their warranties!
My earlier experience with Goodyear Duraplus on my Swift has been excellent, and there had never been a need to claim warranty. OTOH, I would think manufacturers who don't have a lot of confidence in their own products do not extend the benefit of warranty to their customers. Otherwise, why would Apollo extend a 2-year unconditional warranty on its Amazer tyres, but not on the Alnac 4G?
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 01:36   #5
BHPian

Yes, mine is only Alnac, not the Alnac 4G or 4GS version.

Don't mind, just asking sportingly,

If you are so much frustrated with this, I wonder what would you do if you had bought a German Luxury sedan with Run Flat Tyres.

Thanks
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 11:10   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are so much frustrated with this, I wonder what would you do if you had bought a German Luxury sedan with Run Flat Tyres.
What makes you think I am frustrated? Bad tyres? Or bad company attitude? No, this thread was not written to vent my frustrations, but to let the Team-BHP community know about the particular brand of tyre and the company. Perhaps someone else who has had similar trouble with his Alnac 4G would find this thread and share their experience too.

Are RFTs troublesome? And is the ownership experience of German luxury sedans running on RFTs frustrating? I have no idea, since I've never owned either.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 11:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have had some bad experiences with my stock Alnac 4Gs on my Abarth.

Incident 1 - Sidewall bulge on the way to Spiti valley. There was a minor bend as well, so claimed insurance for alloy and replaced the tyre at cost

Incident 2 - After end of day, I was about to drive back home when I noticed some piece of tyre missing from the sidewall. There was no leak or a puncture, but it looked similar to a torn eraser. I wrote this off to damage by a passing cart or something. Changed wheel to spare and continued on.

Incident 3 - Similar damage on the as incident 2 but on the other side but this time I changed all 4 of my tyres.

I though it was my bad luck, but now that you mention it, could be due to poor sidewall as well. In all instances, I was given support by my Fiat service centre who used their contacts to source me a pro rata discount on new ones.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 01:07   #8
BHPian

I have heard many complaints of sidewall issues in Apollo Alnac 4G. Facebook baleno owners group is filled with sidewall buldge and sidewall damage pictures and owners venting there frustration over it. Yes the company is honouring the claims but has been choosy for which ones to accept and which to reject.

My personal experience has been good so far "touchwood". My car has been running on these for the past 3 and half years and I have had only 3 punctures till date. It has had to take the big potholes at many occasions but that never caused issues. They tend to become noisy as the speed increases but the grip they provide in both wet and dry is good.

Wondering, if it is the issue with some batches of Alnac 4G??
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 17:12   #9
BHPian

Sad that you had bad experience with Apollo's. However, I had trouble-free 5 years and 67000 kms with Alnac 4G that came as stock tyres with my 2015 Ciaz Zxi+

They served well and I had absolutely no issues. Suffered punctures only couple of times during their lifetime. Recently I replaced all 4 with Conti UC6 as I was looking more comfortable and quieter set of tyres.

On Apollo's part, they are probably have every right to reject the claim or not to offer any discount on new purchase. What is shocking is their reply and talking about cost-cutting and low-profitability. Bad PR on their part

I hope you get better experience with TripleMax, do share your feedback.
gloriole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 02:56   #10
BHPian

My Apollo Alnacs served me for 50k km and are still running. Although their condition is horrible now. I had a sidewall that tore in the first year of ownership in 2015. I super glued it back in my ignorance.
Anyway that flap tear is still there and now I'm on the lookout for replacement tyres. I will not go Apollo again.
Not that I am disappointed, but because I'd like to see what the yokos and Michelins of the tyre world have to offer.
Trying to decide between Yoko blue earth ae51 and earth 1 :/
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 22:46   #11

My Baleno RS will be completing its 4th year this august, I have driven it around 36k km, and have already changed 4 Alnac 4Gs due to the sidewall failure issue and currently, the fifth tyre has formed a bulge . These are the worst tyres I have ever come across.
Gabbar010487 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2021, 23:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar issue with the original acelere the day after i bought them. Seems like it's still there. No issues with the Yoko earth 1 that replaced it so far!
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 08:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I had a similar issue with the original acelere the day after i bought them. Seems like it's still there. No issues with the Yoko earth 1 that replaced it so far!
I got the Yoko Earth 1s too. Comfort is not why you'd buy these tires. I hope they give me hassle free driving for another 50k kms. I've run 10k without issues so far! *touchwood*
Old 15th February 2022, 13:27   #14

changed my stock bridgestone tyres to Apollo's alnac4g tyres (195/55/r16). Been using them for 4 months now.
Done 5k+ kms on highway and city.Tread is as new as it was,they work fine at higher speeds and no issues faced till now.
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Tyres, their Alnac 4G sidewall issues, and their attitude-whatsapp-image-20220214-11.34.49-pm.jpeg  

Harp.bhatia04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 10:29   #15
BHPian

Any idea how the Alnac 4Gs performs in with higher side profile tyres, like the 215/60R60 on the brezza? Are those prone to side wall damages too? Theoretically, higher side profile tyres are less prone to side wall damage, but how are they in real world?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks