Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 15:37   #16
BHPian

re: Kia Seltos - Excessive tyre wear issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I wonder why you were forbidden from getting this done outside, was it to preclude you from finding out about anything that they might have messed up during servicing? I know we do not have any evidence for any foul play but this doesn't sound right to me.
These days almost all dealers (Kia and others too) are being adamant to get alignment done at dealerships itself. In Maruti Suzuki service station in Gurgaon I heard a service advisor telling a customer "if you get alignment done from outside, the warranty will void".

Everyone is trying to get every penny possible in these Covid times I believe.
Mountainman21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 15:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
The car has currently done about 17K kms and the front tyres are completely worn out.
See below attachments -
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos - Excessive tyre wear issue-2edc1e4ae89d43cbb855505e6134f04c.jpeg  

Kia Seltos - Excessive tyre wear issue-bc7966ea16dd492984caa30b9493ae3f.jpeg  

ChoosetoCruze is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 16:28   #18
BHPian

Please check for the tyre identification number(i don't know the exact word) on your service manual and check if its the same. Maruti's Deliv ery executives do write this on the first page of the service manual. This can be helpful if you want to rule out the possibility of a tyre swap.

Check your rear tires too, if they have the same issue then there must be some problem with the tire or else, tyre rotation wasn't done on your last service.

Better get your tires changed, at least two of them for the front(if you are on a tight budget). Always four tire replacement is recommended
avaneesh. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 16:49   #19
BHPian

I don't know what to say but wondering how come you missed to notice the wear and tear of your tyres even though the SA kept it on hold. This doesn't come under warranty and you are left at mercy of dealership. Have peace of mind and replace the tyres (keep this as last option, though) like what 'hserus' suggested and enjoy your ride!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2021 at 18:52. Reason: Typos
Old 5th January 2021, 16:59   #20
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to address this to the manufacturer?
Most probably they have not done a proper wheel alignment on your vehicle in all the past visits to the service center. A common practice when
  • the manufacturer gives you a certain amount of "Labour Free Services". or
  • their skilled technician for balancing and alignment is AWOL or
  • there is a power cut and the service center is saving on diesel costs for the generator or
  • their machine is out of calibration

-For starters, if the wheels at the back are normal you can state that they haven't even done wheel rotation (as per recommended practice) let alone wheel alignment. -> ask for 2 new tyres as compensation for their negligence -> escalate it and raise the concern with customer care, get connected with their technical team for a resolution -> Ask them for alignment report from last two visits to the service station (they will not have it) -> makes your case stronger -> ask them for current alignment report or get it done in person.

-They will usually blame it on the tyre manufacturer and route it to them once for a letter saying that it is not a manufacturing defect.

-Ultimately you will get the tyres at pro rated cost (at 17k km they are at 17/40 th of their life, considering 40k km as the life of tyres on an average).

-1/2 tyres are possible for free at goodwill for the inconvenience and their negligence.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

This much tire wear with threads coming out, I have got to say its gross negligence - the driver would have definitely felt something wrong in the way the vehicle tracks on the road.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:23   #22
BHPian

With this level of wear, ideally by around the 7-8k mark itself the tyres would have started going bald.

If it was as meticulously maintained as you said, how come this was not picked up? Personally I am constantly in the look out for tyre wear and every 1-2k kms have a nice long look at tyres (once they hit the 10k mark) whenever am detailing my cars which is every month.

Even otherwise, the driver should have definitely felt it a long time back.

Unless you maintained it (in which case as a Senior BHP'ian I would go by your version of things) personally, am sorry but this is sheer negligence. Even if tyres were not rotated during the 10k service, only very rash driving (esp hard braking) combined with pathetic roads can wear out tyres like this.

I have the Assurance tyres myself, done 15k and the tyres are still almost new and easily have another 20-25 kms left in them. This is just for some context.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2021 at 18:54. Reason: Typo
Stribog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:37   #23
BHPian

No way the tyres ended up looking like this overnight!. Anyone would/should take at least a cursory look at the tyres regularly and any gradual deterioration will be caught!.

Even in the worst case, that nobody ever caught its wear, these tyres are so much likely to go flat every now and then that at least the puncture guy will point out its condition.

From what I can see, it is almost bald .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:53   #24
anb
BHPian

The last alignment has done at 10000k. So this can happen if the alignment is out for some kilometres, say 5000 km. Please check the current wheel alignment angles in a tyre shop. What about the conditions of other tyres? Ideally, you should be doing alignment and tyre rotation every 5000 km.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 18:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
As i said in my opening post, it is not my personal vehicle but my cousin brother's.
It is a multi car garage and none of their other cars - Rapid, Innova, Nexon have such issues.
We shall take it to the service centre. I shall update the thread on the outcome.
starter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 19:33   #26
BHPian

I'd like to give an advice. Never get the wheels balanced in these service centres. They just fleece the customers in the name of wheel balancing and alignment. Hence I get it done outside at a much cheaper rate and save close to 800 -1000 bucks on total service bill by not getting it done at Company Service Centres.
Storm2.0 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 21:15   #27
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

their skilled technician for balancing and alignment is AWOL
Is there a specialized tire guy at OEM service centers? At least from my experience every technician is expected to be a jack of all trades and will do the wheel related stuff like aligning and balancing as well. That is why I never get alignment and balancing at service centers.

Their machine being out of calibration is very likely. These equipment at authorized service centers may not be calibrated at regular intervals and can be faulty.
Old 5th January 2021, 21:35   #28
BANNED

Re: Kia Seltos - Excessive tyre wear issue

I agree that the getting wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done at ASC is not at all VFM and God knows if it is genuinely being done or not. Since Kia is fairly new in the market, I will say that the machines at their ASC's would be calibrated and not too bad in terms of required performance. It is that "fear" which they instil in the minds of customers that warranty will be void if done outside is worst of all. I have never bothered to get the wheel alignment activity done at Hyundai ASC, that's the last thing to be done on my car. I'll be happy if they do their basic oil change job properly.

Coming to this tyre wear issue, why didn't the wear come into notice earlier?

Also this kind of wear can't be an overnight affair and 17,000 kms is a very less period for tyres to bald in such fashion. Kia has to answer the owner whatever be the reason it is.

EDIT:

Quote:
Is there a way to address this to the manufacturer?
@OP: Can you post images of the other 3 tyres?

Also please post an image of the DOT code of these four tyres.
Kia Seltos - Excessive tyre wear issue-img_20201224_141121_copy_1024x1820__01.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th January 2021 at 21:54. Reason: Added image.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The car has currently done about 17K kms and the front tyres are completely worn out.
Did you feel any left pull on the car if the steering is left at the centre position and the car driven a small distance on a flat road? This can be the early indication of alignment problem.
Old 6th January 2021, 15:36   #30
BHPian

Sad situation for the Brand (Both car & tyres) due to mistake of a profit making dealership.
If you have the time and patience escalate the matter to the concerned service manager at KMI. Usually their contact no. and details are available at the dealership itself.

If you take it strongly since the alignment was done at the dealership itself, there is a chance (though slim) that you may get the tyre replaced under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks