Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2021, 22:55   #46
anb
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos - Excessive tyre wear issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Tyres from international brands like Yokohama,Michelin and Pirelli are no doubt good, but when it comes to typical Indian conditions, they do wear out faster because of their softer compound. They offer very good road grip and drivability but tyre life is sacrificed mostly.
From my experience, Michelin primacy 4st lasts longer than Apollo tyres. Michelin PS4 has less life as it’s a sporty tyre
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 23:20   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree but if due care is taken even these international branded tyres will yield good life. Search the ownership reviews, you can see 60K+ km life from Michelin tyres.
True, if taken good care,tyres will last long. Yes, there are quite a few examples of these tyres giving good life.What I said about these tyres are just based on my experience and a few others in my place on the terrible roads here ( which are a lot better now actually). Having said this, Yokohama Earth 1 did give me reasonably good life compared to the others.
Old 10th January 2021, 13:13   #48
BHPian

Happy that the OP has been able to sort out the issue. This was definitely a case of wheel geometry out of whack. I was a victim of this in 2008-09 when I bought a new Vista QJD Limited Edition. It came with alloys but I changed the stock Good Years to Michelins straight away on the way out of the showroom before reaching home. Told the tyre shop technician to skip the alignment because it was a new car. Unfortunately the whole wheel geometry WAS off from day 1 including the toe and camber. It ate through both the front tyres in less than 10k kms. Now depending on how much the geometry is off, the 10k could very well have been 0.2k or 2k or 20k.

Since then I have purchased more than 5 cars new and my first priority is to get the wheel geometry checked out to avoid the heartburn later. This is my first priority even before reaching home if possible. It should be for everyone. Checking and correcting the wheel geometry is part of the PDI checklist for dealers but they either skip this as it's a 'thankless' job or they do not know how to do it correctly. I have noticed that Hyundai and Maruti do a good job of delivering the car with the specs spot on. Tata was consistent in delivering all cars with the alignment off. Sad to see Kia being added to the list. And the service adviser had the nerve to suggest that the alignment be done only at their station. That is a load of nonsense and should not be followed. Experience says that a reputed tyre shop is always more trustworthy than the company service centre when it comes to wheel alignment.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 14:10   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Having said this, Yokohama Earth 1 did give me a reasonably good life compared to the others.

I was able to squeeze 90,097 kms from the OEM tyre on my Creta - Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport (215/60 R17). Have changed to Yokohama Earth-1 and hope I get a respectable life from the Earth-1.

I follow a 5,000 kms schedule for wheel alignment, balancing & rotation.
Old 10th January 2021, 19:30   #50
BHPian

This exact same thing happened with my Father's Fiesta Classic. Around 18K KM's on the odo, the inner side of both front tyres went completely bald. He is a careful driver and no off-roading was attempted. Some rough 1.5 lane roads - yes. Our other cars before and after had been on the same without any issues and tyres lasted upto 60-65K km's (still useable).

When I had been to my hometown, my father warned me not to speed due to the condition of the tyre. I thought he said that to just keep my speed in check. It was after I completed a high-speed run and the next day, I found it to be true and was shocked.

The car was only serviced in Akshaya Ford, Madurai including alignment (Yes, the warranty will void if done outside ).

When my father complained about it in the next service, as expected they mentioned it's a wear & tear item, blah blah. That was the last any of our cars got the alignment done in the authorized service centres. It was later I came to know from a friend who worked for another that they bill but skip alignment/balancing on some new vehicles until 15K km's as they observed it to not go wrong mostly .

Last edited by ganesc : 10th January 2021 at 19:31.
Old 11th January 2021, 12:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I'd like to give an advice. Never get the wheels balanced in these service centres. They just fleece the customers in the name of wheel balancing and alignment. Hence I get it done outside at a much cheaper rate and save close to 800 -1000 bucks on total service bill by not getting it done at Company Service Centres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree that the getting wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done at ASC is not at all VFM and God knows if it is genuinely being done or not.
I would agree that getting wheel balancing and alignment done at ASS is not VFM from any perspective as outlined in quoted posts. This is based on my experience with two cars from two different manufacturers and obviously different ASS. Both of my cars were aligned and balanced at ASS during the initial period of ownership and problems that I encountered:
  1. My 2006 SWIFT Vxi had uneven wear tear in the 4 tyres even when it was aligned and balanced at ASS as per schedule. As expected, the ASS refused to own up anything. I switched to FNG for alignment and balancing. I replaced the stock JK Tyres with Bridgestones and the car was taken to FNG. They were holding good at 35000KM of run 3 years back when the car handed over to my sister. They are due for replacement. Need to check the latest odo reading
  2. For my Scorpio 4+ 4WD, the last alignment, balancing and 5-wheel rotation was done during the 2nd year/20K service at ASS in Oct 2019. This time I decided to take it to the ASS. We noticed that the rear driver side tyre had extra wear as compared to other 3. The wear/tear of other 3 is within acceptable limit for 28K run. Also, the alignment was out by 80 times (as per FNG) . During this time the car was run only on the highways as pandemic ensured no yearly visit to Himalayas. Also, I am the only one who has the privilege to drive this car.
So, I will again revert to my FNG for alignment and balancing.
Old 11th January 2021, 23:28   #52
BHPian

My personal experience with Volkswagen dealership is that they billed alignment, rotation and balancing but did nothing. The only reason I could find out was because some of my rims had scuff marks on them and these were in the exact same place. None of the wheels had changed from their original position. After initially disagreeing, confronting them with hard facts made them accept the miss on their part and redo the whole exercise under my supervision.

But decided after this incident not to get alignment, balancing done from ASC. I hope some day service centers can be transparent and we can see footage of cars being serviced live from wherever we are.
Old 12th January 2021, 16:43   #53
BHPian

The tyre wear seems very unlikely at 17K kms even if the alignment is out or the suspension is at fault. Please check and match the tyre manufacturing date on your spare tyre with your worn out ones. If there is a mismatch there is possibility of foul play at the service center, if it matches please get your alignment checked at Madhus Langford road BLR and the suspension checked at any other A.S.S as well. Hope this helps!

PS: I was able to clock 75K kms on my OEM MRF Wanderer A/T, on the second set the front ones gave up in 25k kms my suspension and alignment were at fault, same issue as yours relied mostly on A.S.S for wheel alignment and balancing.

Last edited by Shanky_1002 : 12th January 2021 at 16:50.
Old 13th January 2021, 19:40   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
This exact same thing happened with my Father's Fiesta Classic. Around 18K KM's on the odo, the inner side of both front tyres went completely bald.
It was later I came to know from a friend who worked for another that they bill but skip alignment/balancing on some new vehicles until 15K km's as they observed it to not go wrong mostly .
When I get the alignment done (ASC or otherwise), I insist on a printout of the alignment results. Many a time I am met with the response that the printer is out of paper or the toner is busted - in that scenario, I ask them to email it to me and follow up with them in case they don't do the same.

Am personally very finicky about anything to do with tyres (TPMS sensors, tyre inflator/guage ) especially on my vehicles that do the highway runs.
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 10:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
We have a Kia Seltos top-end diesel automatic in our extended family. It was purchased in Feb/March 2020.
The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and has completed 1K, 5K & 10K services.
The car has currently done about 17K kms and the front tyres are completely worn out.

Attachment 2102965
Attachment 2102964

Is there a way to address this to the manufacturer?
ask for complete replacement will problem is solved. this issue will result in you replacing tyres every 30000 kms unless resolved.
In 2010, i was a part of a new truck launch and tyre wear was a serious issue. while we look at it from a alignment prespective, the automakers look into many many different aspects. Eventually a task force was formed and it took many months to solve this issue.. There was no one solution.. just a lot of many small changes to make an improvement acceptable to most customers..
Old 2nd February 2021, 15:52   #56
BHPian

Your tyre looks terrible. Any chance the service center swapped your good tyres with someone else's worn out tyres? It might be crappy assumption but it does happen!
Old 8th February 2024, 17:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
We have a Kia Seltos top-end diesel automatic in our extended family. It was purchased in Feb/March 2020.
The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and has completed 1K, 5K & 10K services.
The car has currently done about 17K kms and the front tyres are completely worn out.

Attachment 2102965
Attachment 2102964

Is there a way to address this to the manufacturer?
My Seltos Diesel (May 2021 model) came shod with Good year Assurance. Despite good servicing and alignment, the tyres lasted 27K kms only. This was not expected as new gen tyres are supposed to last at least 40K kms in heavier Diesel vehicles. The vehicle was then shod with Apollo Alnac 4G which has done 32K till date and looks good to touch 40K mileage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks