Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Direct or Indirect TPMS | What do you have?
My vehicle has Direct TPMS, and I find it useful 118 40.00%
My vehicle has Indirect TPMS, and I find it useful 29 9.83%
My vehicle doesn’t have TPMS, but I need it 79 26.78%
My vehicle doesn’t have TPMS, but I can still manage without it 69 23.39%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2022, 15:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?

A few more points to add, apart from everything that's already discussed
  • Price/Quality - Most TPMS we get in India are essentially Chinese-built sensors with some Indian company's brand name slapped on it. It's hard to determine sensor quality from brand names. So, if you're not sure - go with a mid-range price segment.
  • External vs Internal - OP didn't dwell into external vs internal sensor, but this is important. External sensors are easy to install (just screw it and done) but they're better if you have a safe parking area. If your parking area, or locations where you frequently travel to, are prone to theft, then internal sensors are better.
  • Dedicated display vs Phone app - I find TPMS dedicated display piece to be more useful. You don't have to worry about phone being ON and connected. Separate dedicated display and in-built alarm system is more peace of mind. Choosing one with light sensors reduces wire-related mess.

I have been using Nexdigitron external TPMS (link) for past 9months and very happy with the product. Found a puncture through it's alarm too. Interesting, when the alarm first rang, I couldn't find anything on tyre and assumed it to be a bad sensor / hardware issue. Still went to a tyre to be sure -- and voila! there was indeed a small hidden nail!! Certainly recommend TPMS to everyone here for peace of mind.
the.city is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 15:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Hey, I have done some web research on the Sensairy product. A few questions :

- once the internal tpms is installed, now does one map the specific sensor to the position like front-left/right rear left/right, and spare? Further, once the tyres are rotated during service, how to change the mapping again?

- is there a risk of damaging the sensor if driving on slightly lower pressure, upon mild puncture? Usually the tubeless tyres don’t go flat quickly, so is it safe to drive to a nearby tyre shop for repair without damaging the sensor?

- since the tyre guys remove the tyre for puncture repair and use water for testing , is there any risk to sensors during puncture fixing?

- how is the sensor attached to the rim? And can it get detached on its own during usage?
Being a SensAiry user for last 4 years, I am technically equipped to answer your questions:

Point 1- SensAiry app has inbuilt capabilities which helps in configuration of the sensors at first installation. Thereon, you can remap the sensors manually on the app at every rotation.

Point 2- Not really and I haven’t experienced the same in 4 years of usage. The sensors are designed in such a way that they stay unharmed even in cases on 100% deflation.

Point 3- Sensors are inside the tyre and attached to the air stem valve, thus the sensors can’t be harmed unless someone purposely pokes with valve and sensor. Sensors are water proof and sealed.

Point 4- Pls check out this video

You can reach out to SenAiry team and they are quick to respond.

Cheers!
kapilsharma80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 15:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Being a SensAiry user for last 4 years, I am technically equipped to answer your questions:
Cheers!
Thanks for your answers. Thanks to everybody else who provided their inputs on this thread. Appreciated. Just placed a direct order on their website for the kit.
I will also be buying the HUD once it’s back in stock in a couple of weeks later for additional convenience.
Old 10th June 2022, 15:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Sensairy and Treel are coming around 7k. What justifies their premium?
There are many TPMS which are even 2000-3000 I am currently searching for 2 or 3 for my cars, I was reading that Sensairy app collects unnecessary data and at 7000 its just a bit too much in my opinion.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 16:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
There are many TPMS which are even 2000-3000 I am currently searching for 2 or 3 for my cars, I was reading that Sensairy app collects unnecessary data and at 7000 its just a bit too much in my opinion.
I chose Sensairy based on what I read about the quality, support, warranty and responsiveness. I got a 10% voucher, so ended up paying 6300.
Time will tell, how things turn out. You could diversify, by trying different brands for your different cars.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 10th June 2022 at 16:17.
Old 10th June 2022, 16:36   #36

My Innova doesn't have a TPMS installed,
I have never felt the need of a TPMS as we always :
1.Inspect the car after getting it out of the parking (for tyre air pressure,visible problems)
2.If the fuel bunk has nitrogen available,fill the tyres every time we refuel.
So with the above practices I don't feel the need to have a TPMS installed.
But as of what I have heard a TPMS warns before tyre blasts so please could anyone throw light on how the sensor manages to do this.
Old 10th June 2022, 16:57   #37
BHPian

Sensors measure 2 parameters in each tyre. Pressure and temperature. If the readings go out of threshold ( default or as set by user), then the HUD/app would beep/ notify.
But besides the above, the value proposition for me is that maintaining right parameters should be beneficial for tyre wear and tear, driving experience, fuel efficiency, avoiding driving on flat tyre, topping up air only when needed, burst etc.

Note: this is perceived expectation, since my tpms is not yet installed.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 10th June 2022 at 17:00.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 19:18   #38
BHPian

I need the "My vehicle has indirect TPMS and it's not useful" option. In our 2021 Skoda Superb, I remember that the dealership had over-inflated the tires. After getting the tire pressure set to normal, we hadn't figured out the "Set TPMS" function yet, and did not reset it. Well, it threw up a warning only when we took it on a highway run the next day at speeds above 80 km/h, giving us a scare. If it only works properly at high speeds (according to my experience), then it's as good as useless since high speeds with underinflated/punctured tires can be dangerous. If you need to get to into the dangerous situation to be warned of it, then what good is the system?

While this system is simpler than a direct TPMS with no sensor in the tires, the utility lost makes it a redundant way of knowing your tire pressures are off at best.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 19:54   #39
BHPian

The peace of mind that direct TPMS provides makes it worth the cost for me, especially on long drives with family and friends.

I have retrofitted our Honda City with Sensairy internal TPMS sensors for all tyres (including the spare) and they have been accurate and flawless since I had them installed 4 years ago. For those wondering about its battery life, all 5 sensors are reporting their battery as "full" within the app as I type this. And, if you're comfortable giving background location permission to the app (and always have Bluetooth turned on), it’ll automatically get readings from the sensors as you walk by the car with your phone.

Our BMW G30 530d only gets indirect TPMS which does not help one bit with the anxiety that comes with the delicate tyres on the car, especially after being used to the convenience and assurance of internal TPMS installed in our Honda City for the past 4 years.

I am thinking of installing the Sensairy sensors in the bimmer since the car is out of warranty. Thoughts?

I would love to retrofit BMW internal TPMS sensors and have the data on iDrive but what is holding me back is apparently having to change the VO via coding to get them to work with the car, that is if I can procure the sensors first.
NerdyMillennial is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 20:06   #40
BHPian

I had to have my front tyre of my new Polo replaced as I drove it over a bad pothole on a flyover in Bangalore. The front left tyre formed a bump and I went over to Madhu's at Hosur Road to get it replaced. While I was there, I enquired about Sensairy and decided to get it installed. I opted for 4 sensors package as I carry a Michelin foot pump to inflate tyres always in my car, so I did not mind leaving the spare tyre unmonitored.

The installation required all valves to be replaced by Sensairy valves ( which also contains pressure and temperature monitoring sensors). Pairing was done before installation and technicians marked the sensors for the respective wheels and went on about installing it. After installing the Sensairy sensors the wheels were balanced and they were fitted back to car.

I own an iPhone and there is no Carplay app for Sensairy sensors yet. But the one in iPhone - it had warned me about low pressure in tyres a few times, which I was able to take care of.

Overall very happy with the decision to install Sensairy TPMS.
ArunRam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 20:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunRam View Post
I own an iPhone and there is no Carplay app for Sensairy sensors yet. But the one in iPhone - it had warned me about low pressure in tyres a few times, which I was able to take care of.
I had contacted Sensairy a couple weeks ago regarding Carplay integration and they replied saying that there is some limitation or restriction from Apple side which isn't allowing them to integrate the same. Knowing Apple, I believe it.
NerdyMillennial is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 23:32   #42
BHPian

I have a Direct TPMS (Internal) in our MG ZS EV. It came with the car and I find it especially useful in an electric car because we don't take it to a Fuel Station to top up air. We purchased a portable tyre inflator from amazon basics and hence there isn't any regular interval at which we top up the air. The TPMS helps a lot with this and we only top up the pressure when necessary. Considering that pressusres affects range, it is very important IMO for EVs.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 23:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

I had installed internal direct tpms with replaceable battery in my scross. Twice, it alerted me that there was a drop in the pressure in one of the tires and sure enough, I found a nail in it. Drove straight to the next tire shop and fixed it. If not for the tpms, I would have been unaware and would have parked it at home for the night, ready for a trip next morn. That would not have been pretty. So, I am happy with my investment.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 04:06   #44
BHPian

I used to be anxious about tyre pressure and damages during driving especially on long drives and after installing TPMS that anxiety has reduced considerably.

I use a product called Manatec Tyremate for the past 1.5 years after reading review of a fellow BHPian here and it has been quite good. Even though it’s bit more expensive compared to other similar products, it’s solidly made and also locally made in India.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 04:16   #45
BHPian

@mods please delete as comment was posted twice due to website glitch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks