Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2007, 14:59   #46
vidvai

I know I ask too many questions, but what is the puncture proofing that all the tyre guys keep advertising? Is it any good?

Old 12th August 2007, 23:45   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidvai View Post
I know I ask too many questions, but what is the puncture proofing that all the tyre guys keep advertising? Is it any good?
I think no good, what are those chemicals? How they will affect inner rubber? All these questions are unanswered...

And by doing so, you are again increasing the tyre assembly mass.
Increased mass will affect ride quality..
Please read the entire thread to understand the effects of reducing the tyre mass.

My opinion, such things not advisable..
Old 13th August 2007, 00:54   #48
vidvai

^^
Yup, thats what the guy who puts punctures also said. But I just thought that maybe he was tryin to prevent his business from runnning out.

Old 13th August 2007, 01:13   #49
BHPian

Hi
I didn't visit online to look for tyres and stuff but happened to come across this forum.

I own a Daewoo Matiz with Goodyear GPS2 145/70/R13 installed around 3 months ago. It is twice that my rims got bent due to poth holes leading to sudden tyre burst. The car was doing 65 kmph and 80 kmph. One on the Chandigarh-Nahan Road and the other one on Amritsar-Jallandhar Road. Really had a tough time getting the rims straigtened and the tyres back in place.

I too used to vouch for tubeless tyres but now I guess you really got to have very strong rims which can take a sudden bump and not bend the rim thus leading to air loss. Alloys would have probably broken in my situations. I am still running them, but plan to go for tubetype after these die out.

Last edited by zzzehar : 13th August 2007 at 01:14.
Old 13th August 2007, 01:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a Daewoo Matiz with Goodyear GPS2 145/70/R13 installed around 3 months ago. It is twice that my rims got bent due to poth holes leading to sudden tyre burst.
That's a very bad experience you had zehar,so in short does this mean with tubeless tyres your rims are subject to more stress than tubed ones[kind of explains the reason for advice of switching to alloys along with tubeless tyres].

Quote:
I too used to vouch for tubeless tyres..
but plan to go for tubetype after these die out
We are back to square one.
Old 13th August 2007, 11:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Monthly drop of 2-3 PSIs is normal.
I have just fitted TL michlins on stock rims, they lose about 3-4 psi in 2 weeks. same pump. same running before the pressure check. all 4 wheels have this drop in pressure. could this be normal?
also could I do away with carrying a spare wheel and carry only a tube instead. so that in case of a puncture on a long drive can get to a reliable repair shop with a tube in a TL.
Old 13th August 2007, 15:06   #52
vidvai

^^I dont know much about this. But i figure that you should carry the spare, because by the time you realise that your tyre has lost pressure, you might be too far from any reliable shop and the tyre may have lost significant pressure.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 13th August 2007, 18:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Fill tyres with dry nitrogen..to avoid loss of tyre pressure every month..very effective in TL tyres..and we need to check tyres once in three months only..I have 3 vehicles each fitted with TL tyres and nitrogen..for the past 7 years..

I've faced the very same problem of losing tyres pressure of 2-3 Psi every month..and hence switched to Nitrogen..
Infact, our fellow bhpian tyrestore can be contacted for further details..

cheers
Old 13th August 2007, 20:30   #54
BHPian

I have been to Kodai and Munnar ghats last week with tubeless Michelins on my WagonR. The ghat roads are very bad with heavy rains and the grip is amazing and I have not faced a single problem with the TL tyres. total distance covered 2800 km. I do not know if I had a puncture in any of the tyres, but not a 1 psi drop in pressure. If I had gone with any tube type tyres, they defenitly would have been punctured, based on the kind of roads. The wet grip is really amazing.

The only problem is, if the rim gets bent, the tyre loses air. Anyway one would have a spare tyre to replace it and correct the bent rim at any repair center. I encountered two rim bent incidents, but only the rim edge got bent, and the tyre still hold the air for 400 km. I also carry a tubeless puncture repair kit.
Old 13th August 2007, 23:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Fill tyres with dry nitrogen..to avoid loss of tyre pressure every month..very effective in TL tyres..and we need to check tyres once in three months only..I have 3 vehicles each fitted with TL tyres and nitrogen..for the past 7 years..

I've faced the very same problem of losing tyres pressure of 2-3 Psi every month..and hence switched to Nitrogen..
Infact, our fellow bhpian tyrestore can be contacted for further details..

cheers
This is new.. Somehow.. Not heard of this before.

How much is each filling or are you just yanking out chains
Old 13th August 2007, 23:47   #56
Team-BHP Support

Ironwolf, are you talking about filling nitrogen in tyres? It's pretty common.

We have a thread discussing the benefits of nitrogen in tyres.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-nitrogen.html (Inflating tyres with dry nitrogen)
Old 14th August 2007, 01:45   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
... ... ...could I do away with carrying a spare wheel and carry only a tube instead. so that in case of a puncture on a long drive can get to a reliable repair shop with a tube in a TL.
No... I really don't think so.

That is quite some seal between the tire and the wheel, it is not easy removing and replacing tubeless tires.
Old 14th August 2007, 01:56   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
This is new.. Somehow.. Not heard of this before.
That is exactly why you have to be around here. The ignorant me has also got nitrogen in all my tyres & it is going great for the last 6 months without a single psi drop.
cheers
Old 14th August 2007, 14:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
A friend of mine has this complaint of his tubeless tyres loosing pressure very often. He gets monthly air check, and every time, he fills 30 and is left with only around 27-28 psi by next visit. And this happens with all four tyres. Any explanation?

Quote:
I am sure your friend is running them on steel rims which have rusted. please ask him to check the rims.
Quote:
Simple, he has a tiny nail in the tire. Just take it to a good tire shop, they'll find it and plug it.

These are 18 months old tyre, under 10k km in good condition and are on stock alloy wheels. The pressure loss is pretty uniform in all 4 wheels, and there are no nails in the wheel...

Where do you get Nitrogen fills in Bangalore and how much do they cost? May be I can recommend Nitrogen to this guy...
Old 14th August 2007, 14:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
I do not know if I had a puncture in any of the tyres, but not a 1 psi drop in pressure.
What does this mean ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks