Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Michelin Pilot Preceda 1/2

Cons:

- Tramlining in wider sizes on bumpy & rutted roads
I second that. This is actually pretty pronounced and can be fairly disconcerting if you're at a high speed.
For those who are unfamiliar with the term, the car seems to get "stuck" to and follows a certain path on the road (as if it was on a tram line) - usually along a crevice or potholed piece of tarmac. Some urgent and hard steering corrections are neccessary to get the car back on track.

@Ishan/others: can this be attributed to the PP tread pattern? Do any other tyres show this sort of behaviour?

Last edited by razor4077 : 22nd September 2007 at 18:37.
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post

@Ishan/others: can this be attributed to the PP tread pattern? Do any other tyres show this sort of behaviour?
I have the same issue in my Zen with upsized Bridgestone B350 tyres.
Interestingly, i dont face the same problem in my Baleno which has upsized GIIIs
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think it's a combination of wide tyres & aggressive tyre patterns. Also, IMO Asymmetrical tyres are more prone to this due to their side biases in pattern. Most supercars with wide tyres & aggressive tyres face the same problem too.

But, it's just a question of getting used to it after which it becomes second nature to counter-steer.
Old 23rd September 2007, 02:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

SP 9000s are very tramliney tyres. Had them for a while and they were disconcerting. Also, some Skoda RSs shipped with this tyre, and similar issues were reported.
Old 23rd September 2007, 21:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I think it's a combination of wide tyres & aggressive tyre patterns. Also, IMO Asymmetrical tyres are more prone to this due to their side biases in pattern. Most supercars with wide tyres & aggressive tyres face the same problem too.

But, it's just a question of getting used to it after which it becomes second nature to counter-steer.
Exactly the same experience with my PP1 on Fiesta. I assumed it could be because of the wider nature but initially it is a bit unpredictable but once I was used to it, I just make sure I'm holding onto the steering at all times.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:03   #36
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I would suggest go for these if you go over really bad roads as they can take a lot of beating. For normal city roads the Michelin Energy's are a better buy.

Mileage has gone done by 1.5kmpl since they are heavier and an upsize as well.
I have gone for Turanza ER-60 tyres (stock size, 155/70 R13). National Motors in Mumbai (authorized Hyundai service) apparently stocks Michelin XM1 tyres and recommends these for Santro. Considering my usage on the bad roads in Mumbai-Pune route and high-speed driving on the Expressway concrete, Turanza was recommended by Unitread tyres, Pune, and I went with that.

My S322 tubeless tyres lasted just 24000 kms. One of the tyres developed a bulge (at 23000 kms) when I hit a massive pothole near the end of the Expressway (Mumbai side) at ~100 kmph. One of the other tyres had worn to the tread wear indicator. Two of them could have been used for another 5-10 K kms. The S322 tubeless tyres are quite good grip wise, both in wet and dry conditions, at least as far as my Santro is concerned. I would always recommend these for Santro if there is a lot of driving to be done on bad roads. I plan to try out Michelin XM1 next time and then I will be in a position to compare these tyres.

The reason for the rapid wear in my tyres is apparently the consistently high speeds (130+ kmph) that I do every week on the Expressway concrete. It remains to be seen if the Turanzas will last longer than the S322. Shocks have just been replaced, so that may hopefully contribute to improved tyre life.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:37   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I have gone for Turanza ER-60 tyres (stock size, 155/70 R13).
Any change in mileage? Also, does the tyre look bigger than it really is? The tyre weighs much more than the potenza/energy xm1 for some reason.
Old 26th September 2007, 13:49   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tyre weighs much more than the potenza/energy xm1 for some reason.

Different grade-thickness rubber/heavier steel belts?
Old 26th September 2007, 14:02   #39
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Any change in mileage? Also, does the tyre look bigger than it really is? The tyre weighs much more than the potenza/energy xm1 for some reason.
I have driven just about 70 kms with these tyres. I can already estimate a drop in mileage just by looking at the fuel gauge. But this is only to be expected, as these tyres are new (as compared to my worn-out S322's); plus we have to factor in the H-rating, meaning they grip much better than S322; the larger weight may also be a factor. I expect a drop in mileage of at least 1 kmpl from my present 12.5 kmpl. The tyres do look quite big, but I like the sidewall protectors, considering the treacherous state of the Mumbai-Pune route (especially the Sion-Panvel highway).

I haven't exceeded 80 kmph yet; but already the ride is noticeably more silent and the braking has improved, at least as compared to the worn-out S322's. I will be pushing the car on the Expressway this Friday, after the shocks have been replaced. Then I will have a better feel for these tyres.
Old 26th September 2007, 14:03   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Different grade-thickness rubber/heavier steel belts?
Could be due to heavier steel belts. Also because of the rim protector belt on sidewall to prtect against stone hits.
Old 27th September 2007, 16:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I will be pushing the car on the Expressway this Friday, after the shocks have been replaced.
Hi, How much are the Shocks ? All 4 or 2 ?

Please let me know exact cost as my santro has done 50k and I think its time to replace these.

Got meself 4 new tyres today ( at 49700 kms ) Michelin 155/70R13 XM1 for 2400 Rs. Per Tyre .
Old 27th September 2007, 16:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
I second that. This is actually pretty pronounced and can be fairly disconcerting if you're at a high speed.
For those who are unfamiliar with the term, the car seems to get "stuck" to and follows a certain path on the road (as if it was on a tram line) - usually along a crevice or potholed piece of tarmac. Some urgent and hard steering corrections are neccessary to get the car back on track.

I've felt this behavior too but never really noticed it carefully until i read the review here. This is not a problem on good roads but on poor roads its really an issue. The steering does feel noticeably heavier than when I had the old bridgestones.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th September 2007 at 16:32.
Old 27th September 2007, 16:29   #43
BHPian

I have Goodyear Ducaro GA on my OHC Vtec. DUCARO GA Good ones.
Old 27th September 2007, 17:54   #44
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Hi, How much are the Shocks ? All 4 or 2 ?

Please let me know exact cost as my santro has done 50k and I think its time to replace these.

Got meself 4 new tyres today ( at 49700 kms ) Michelin 155/70R13 XM1 for 2400 Rs. Per Tyre .
It may not necessarily be the case that your shocks need replacement at 50 K. But by all means get the car thoroughly checked at 50 K. I have put my Santro through some fairly severe road and driving conditions. All 4 shocks are being replaced.

I will let you know the precise cost tomorrow. Sanjay Hyundai has delayed delivery by one more day as apparently the brake calliper pins are worn out and need replacement. I did not argue as I did hear some rubbing noise (of metal on metal) from my front left wheel at times.

Michelins are good tyres. The Turanzas cost me Rs 2250 per tyre -- not that much more costly than the S322 tubeless tyres.
Old 27th September 2007, 18:21   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ok thanks - Do let me know what it cost.

Of late I have started hearing some pretty rubbing of metal to metal noise from my rear brakes - I think I should get these checked as well !!

I wanted Turanzas but then I liked the Michelin Patterns quite a lot - especially the outer wall !!

Will get Turanzas or G3's for my accent which is due for a change after 5k or so kms. Cheers !!

Most Viewed