Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2013, 21:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: An inflator that seals flat tyre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
the trick to get the tires balanced before putting in slime.
I did the same, and I have had no issues with vibrations etc., even at 110-120kmph. I never drive the safari faster than that, so can't comment on handling and vibrations beyond that speed.
TSK - so do any vibrations appear at 'normal' city speeds of between 20-40 kmph or when just beginning to move the car from 0 kmph.

As it seems to be a viscous liquid, and if it does not have time to spread out equally all over the tread, would not that lead to balance issues on an otherwise balanced wheel?

BTW - I have planned a visit to the local SLIME dealer's office tomorrow morning to check out the product and (possibly) buy it. price quote Rs 3300 for 44 oz. - does that sound reasonable?
Old 25th October 2013, 22:21   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Thanks for the reply Sheel.
If there are no negative feedback on this within the next two days, I plan to get the sealant in my rear tyre only and check if the hole seals itself. If it seals, then I shall continue to ride as it is. Or the alternative is to go for the tube. If that doesnt work, I shall change the tyre.

Will update in a few days how the slime holds up
Partha, get mushroom patch done from Madhus. I had a similar problem with air leaking from the puncture twig. The hole had gotten big. Got it done and no problem ever since .
Old 25th October 2013, 22:33   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
TSK - so do any vibrations appear at 'normal' city speeds of between 20-40 kmph or when just beginning to move the car from 0 kmph.

As it seems to be a viscous liquid, and if it does not have time to spread out equally all over the tread, would not that lead to balance issues on an otherwise balanced wheel?

BTW - I have planned a visit to the local SLIME dealer's office tomorrow morning to check out the product and (possibly) buy it. price quote Rs 3300 for 44 oz. - does that sound reasonable?
Nope, they don't
Only at speed. Balancing is a bit tricky though. Can take multiple tries, if you try to rebalance after slime is in the tire.
Old 26th October 2013, 16:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Got Slime for my Innova, after fitting new B390s all around. At New Friends Colony, New Delhi. Contact number:+91-9212224416, Mr. Dinesh (sales manager, Scan solutions). This appears to be a Slime franchisee in India. Price Rs 3960/- for 44 oz. but you can try for a discount.
Advise:
1) Slime will work on puncture holes less then 6mm dia.
2) The formulation used is known as "Balance-Plus" and leads to less problems in balancing.
3) At around 80 kmph there may be a one-time vibration in the steering wheel after which things will be okay.
4) Slime is washable and is TPMS safe - in case one needs to remove it later
5) Important: It's not a case of fill it and forget it. Far from it, was recommended that a weekly inspection of all 4 tyres , and any stuck nails removed.

It's a green coloured gel, with black fiber specks in it. Apparently the fiber gets into a puncture and seals it.
Old 26th October 2013, 23:29   #50
BANNED

I think with BMW refusing to dump the run flats these gooey products have a good future.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think with BMW refusing to dump the run flats these gooey products have a good future.
Hello Sir, I'd like to know if it is safe to use slime on RFTs? Logically speaking it makes a lot of sense to use it on RFTs. But in the real world it may or may not be the same. Would appreciate some inputs.

Thanks in advance.
Vishwas
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Slime or Incorrect WB+WA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have ordered slime. Will fill it in once I get the tires changed.
I understand there will be some vibrations issue above 100-110kmph, but since my cruising speed is usually around 90kmph, the peace of mind for leh trip will be well worth it!
Quote:
There was noticeable vibration on the steering wheel the moment I hit 100 kmph on the DND. That told me all was not well. I lightened up my left foot, and the vibration disappeared.
The next opportunity to test this issue presented itself on the Greater Noida Expressway. Again the same symptom. But interestingly, after a short while the vibration stopped, without my reducing speed.
The third opportunity to test the issue was on the Yamuna Expressway. There was no such symptom even at speeds exceeding 100 kmph. For the first time into the drive I relaxed.
I would occasionally continue to face this vibration issue all the way into Chinsurah, West Bengal.

N.B. : On the 23rd, my wife had complained of a similar shudder on her Santro, at speeds in excess of 85 kmph on NH8. The common things both the cars shared were - Slime in the tyres, and WB+WA done by the same shop (Tyre Emporium, Malviya Nagar).
Quote:
Tried him out for WB and WA on my Innova and my Santro. Excellent Job. He even takes the car for a test drive, after the work is done. Not very many tyre shops do so.
Another thing - he makes it a point not to use air tools to torque the lug nuts - all because, he feels the customer would have trouble undoing them in case of a flat. Such consideration nowadays is a little hard to find!
I am a little confused - is this vibration on the Innova at 100+ speeds due to Slime or due to WB+WA? Also, my wife has complained of this vibration on our Santro AT as well on NH8 doing speeds of 85+.
BTW: The Slime in both tyres is the "Balance Plus" formulation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks