Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Fabia Tyre upgrade

Looking for new set of tyres for Skoda Fabia. It came with Matador tyres, 185/60/14 tyres with Alloy wheels. The Stock tyres performs well without loosing much on grip under cornering, the ride being good enough.. could be because of the suspension. I have driven it for 34500 kms on it by now and looking at the tread it seems it can still manage another 10-15k kms. However, I feel the ride is getting a bit harsh now, and the tyre noise is excessive, which I guess was there right since from day one.
Looking for new set of tyres with the benefits in following order.

1. Improvement in Handling.
2. Needs to be silent.
3. Good ride.
4. Something that doesn't hamper the steering feel.

Choices on mind are Michelin XM1+ and Michelin PP2 as of now. Which one of these will be better in the above order mentioned? Have checked with some dealers here and it seems that PP2 are out of stock. Can one here help me source them?
Any other Alternate to these?

Thanks.

Last edited by Invinsible : 23rd July 2009 at 14:13.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say the XM1+. It will be an improvement in handling and will be much more comfortable and quieter.

You could also look at the Bridgestone ER 300.

Personally, however, I would go for the Michelin XM1+. Handling will not improve by a large margin. Everything else will improve in a big way.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have searched around for ride difference between XM1+ and PP2 but din't get any info on this.
Can any user here tell me how of ride difference will the XM1+ make over PP2?

I am considering 195/60/14 as the replacement fit for now? Will this have any adverser effect ?
Old 27th July 2009, 12:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Go for the XM1+ or the Yoko A drives. Both are good tires. I don't think PP2 comes in 14"
Old 27th July 2009, 17:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Michelin PP2 are available with 185/60R14, I had a check on their website michelin.in
I have remapped my Fabia with custom cold intake and exhaust mods on it, roughly doing about 110hp, though I mostly use the additional torque while overtaking and use more sedate driving pattern. Am looking out for something that gives good grip/handling, should be quite and comfortable

2 options I have is either go in for PP2 185/60/14 or XM1+ 195/60/14. I am looking for some feedback on how much of difference will XM1+ in the above size will make in terms of handling and comfort over the PP2 185/60?

Last edited by Invinsible : 27th July 2009 at 17:36.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Comfort: XM1+.

Performance, grip, handling: PP2.

Since you have done some modification, I think it;s better you go for PP2. They wont let you down when you are in the mood for some enthusiastic driving.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have been thinking the same and since the profile on PP2 is gonna be 60, I don't think it's gonna have adverse effect to the comfort ride. I spoke to few dealers here and they say the PP2 is gonna give a very harsh ride and advise that XM1+ will be ideal as there is not much of difference in handling among both the tyres. Now I don't know how true is that.
As long as PP2 gives me atleast better ride than my Stock "Matador" Elite 2" tyre, am happy.
As PP2 is only available is size of 185/60 where as XM1+ can be had in 195/60 which could aid in some additional gripping/handling.
What's the best pic here ?
Old 27th July 2009, 19:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, whoever says handling on PP2 is similar to that of XM1+ has no idea what he's talking about. They are in different leagues. The XM1+ is a little vague and outright grip on the PP2 is miles better as well.

But for comfort, yes, the XM1+ is better. However, the PP2 isnt too bad either. It's quite comfortable.
Old 5th November 2009, 21:18   #9
BHPian

Tyre Upgrade For My New Skoda Fabia

Hello all,

Took delivery of my Skoda Fabia 1.4 tdi classic yesterday. I chose the red color as it matches my peppy lifestyle! Now I am in for a toss due to serious confusion regarding the following:

1) I am most definitely looking to upgrade to 15" tyres and alloys from the puny 14" Apollos that came as standard fitment. Though theoritically a wrong size but I have tried fitting Michelin 205/55- R 15, and they look and work fabulously well. Ideally the size shoud have been 195/60-R 15 or 205/50-R15 when upgrading from the standard 185/60-R14. Should I go with the Michelins?

2) I am sorely disappointed with the choice of alloys available in 15" size for the Fabia. As the hub is a five hole configuration, all the beautiful alloy designs (which come in a 4 or 8 hole pattern) are ruled out! I would love to put in white Lenso alloys with red lip, which would impart the right look to the car. But I am informed that their PCD is different. Also the design is not available as of now.
Any suggestions on nice, chunky looking alloys in either white or mat steel finish. I am looking at concave designs which would push out the tyres a bit more. Prefer designs which seem like metal scooped out of a single metal disc (dont know if I am able to put my idea across!)

3) There is a big confusion regarding pure leather vs. high quality PU seat covers for my car. Most shops are seriously pushing customers towards buying genuine leather worth 25K approx. The PU range is between 5K to 15K. Need genuine help on this.

Awaiting your advice and suggestions URGENTLY!

Vikas
Old 5th November 2009, 21:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

For wheels you could PM Blueraven316. He should have some stuff for the Fabia.
Old 6th November 2009, 13:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Michelin's all the way. Best bet for any car.
Yes it is difficult to find one with this PCD's. Alloys in Lenso & HR should be available.
Pls post some pics of the car and ownership report etc.
Old 6th November 2009, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Mods: Please move the thread to relevant section.
Old 6th November 2009, 16:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hello all,

Took delivery of my Skoda Fabia 1.4 tdi classic yesterday. I chose the red color as it matches my peppy lifestyle! Now I am in for a toss due to serious confusion regarding the following:

1) I am most definitely looking to upgrade to 15" tyres and alloys from the puny 14" Apollos that came as standard fitment. Though theoritically a wrong size but I have tried fitting Michelin 205/55- R 15, and they look and work fabulously well. Ideally the size shoud have been 195/60-R 15 or 205/50-R15 when upgrading from the standard 185/60-R14. Should I go with the Michelins?

2) I am sorely disappointed with the choice of alloys available in 15" size for the Fabia. As the hub is a five hole configuration, all the beautiful alloy designs (which come in a 4 or 8 hole pattern) are ruled out! I would love to put in white Lenso alloys with red lip, which would impart the right look to the car. But I am informed that their PCD is different. Also the design is not available as of now.
Any suggestions on nice, chunky looking alloys in either white or mat steel finish. I am looking at concave designs which would push out the tyres a bit more. Prefer designs which seem like metal scooped out of a single metal disc (dont know if I am able to put my idea across!)

3) There is a big confusion regarding pure leather vs. high quality PU seat covers for my car. Most shops are seriously pushing customers towards buying genuine leather worth 25K approx. The PU range is between 5K to 15K. Need genuine help on this.

Awaiting your advice and suggestions URGENTLY!

Vikas
Congrats on your new purchase, the fabia 1.4tdi is a nice machine, regarding tires go for either one of these michelin, yokohama or bridgestone. enjoy your new ride,

cheers..
Old 28th December 2009, 14:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

At the time I posted this thread wasn't aware the PP2 are hard to find in 14" size. however my current tyres had some thread life so wasn't in a rush to get the new tyres. However I have been following up the Michelin people for almost a month now. I mailed them inquiring about the PP2 for which they forwarded my mail to their regional manager here in Mumbai. And Finally they have managed to get the PP2 in 185/60/14 size from Delhi. It is on it's way from Delhi by courier and should be here by weekend.

Now I am not sure whether this old stock or the new? Is there anyway one can find manufacturing date on the tyres? Never bothered to check this but I am kinda sceptical about certain things this time.
Any info on this.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:01   #15
BANNED

Invisible
Look for the letters “DOT”, then look for a number series at the end . The first 2 digits indicate the week of the year the tired was manufactured and the last 2 digits indicate the year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks