Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2023, 17:12   #271
BHPian

Re: Wheel Alignment & Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Does using an exact size tyre from a different tyre manufacturer affect wheel alignment and balancing?
Alignment and balancing is not needed for the exercise you have done. However, it is a good practice to do balancing when mounting a new tyre on a rim.
For the tyre life, you can get best output until 5 years from mfg. Manufacturing month and year is always mentioned on the tyre so please check and use accordingly. If above 5 years, it is best kept as a spare.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 19:18   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
Balancing: I felt a little vibration ~120 km/hr during the recent long-drive.

Does an unbalanced wheel cause damage even at lower speeds when there is no vibration? Do I need to get balancing done right away even for local use or just before the next long-drive?

Earlier, I had an unbalanced wheel which likely led to bearing damage.
At lower speeds, the unbalanced force may be below a certain 'threshhold' operating value that would not result in measurable shorter components longevity.

Hence, it could be fine in long term use.

However, 120 km/hr is quite a normal road speed in typical cars. If it were you, I would get balancing done at a time that's convenient to one's schedule without any stress of anxiety etc.
Old 16th November 2023, 19:58   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
... The spare tyre was largely unused for a long period of time, so does the rubber harden up or something?
Regardless of usage, tyre age over time. This aging process is influenced by environmental conditions, storage condition etc. Tyre manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are 6 years old or older, regardless of their tread depth and overall condition. Due to aging tyre compound hardens and loosed it flexibility due to which it can just fail catastrophically without any warning.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 12:24   #274
BHPian

If the tyres are not run much, another good indicator to replace is if the tyres start getting punctures!
Old 20th December 2023, 11:19   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

First: Wheel Alignment and Wheel Balancing is definitely recommended every 5,000 kms in Indian conditions. Theoretically WA and WB Can change even after 5 kms(yes, FIVE kms), but generally 5k is a well accepted number.
Can this be pinned on the home page or as a 'hot threads'? I have been on bhp for a year and a half and only today I find this.
asitmonty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 19:01   #276
BHPian

Many times I have observed alignment shops and even ASS set the Toe-in and take the vehicle for a test-drive. Invariably the steering wheel would be slightly off-center and they will adjust it on the road side by slipping under the car and making some adjustments. Never got out but I presume they are adjusting the tierods. Then the steering wheel comes back to centre and you are relieved.

My question is that wont this adjustment de-align the toe-in adjusted on the machine?
Old 13th January 2024, 09:54   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Many times I have observed alignment shops and even ASS set the Toe-in and take the vehicle for a test-drive. Invariably the steering wheel would be slightly off-center and they will adjust it on the road side by slipping under the car and making some adjustments. Never got out but I presume they are adjusting the tierods. Then the steering wheel comes back to centre and you are relieved.

My question is that wont this adjustment de-align the toe-in adjusted on the machine?
Yes, they're re-adjusting front toes with tie rod(s).

Next observation/question is, before they call it a day, such road-side adjustment is done on ONE side only or BOTH?
Old 13th January 2024, 10:35   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Yes, they're re-adjusting front toes with tie rod(s).

Next observation/question is, before they call it a day, such road-side adjustment is done on ONE side only or BOTH?
No they do one side. And I am sure the alignment reading would show out of spec if they again hook it up. But you get happy believing the alignment was already done 5 minutes back by this fellow and now he just adjusted the steering wheel!! Con Men most of these shops
Old 13th January 2024, 18:28   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
No they do one side. And I am sure the alignment reading would show out of spec if they again hook it up. But you get happy believing the alignment was already done 5 minutes back by this fellow and now he just adjusted the steering wheel!! Con Men most of these shops
By making road-side (toe) adjustment on one side only, they are altering individual toe on that side AND front TOTAL toes vs that of earlier readings on the alignment machine.
Old 16th January 2024, 10:31   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
By making road-side (toe) adjustment on one side only, they are altering individual toe on that side AND front TOTAL toes vs that of earlier readings on the alignment machine.
Agree but my point is that after adjusting Toe on one side, they do not hook up again to check Total Toe-in. Are you sure that it would still be correct?
Old 19th January 2024, 19:01   #281
BHPian

If we have had a puncture fixed and the tyre removed from the alloys during this, is there a need to go for WB?

Apologies for my ignorance.
Old 21st January 2024, 18:32   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
If we have had a puncture fixed and the tyre removed from the alloys during this, is there a need to go for WB?

Apologies for my ignorance.
Theoretically there is no need as the geometry involving lower/upper arms, steering knuckle and strut mounts are not removed hence its relative positions remain unchanged.

However tyre complete with alloy rim system installation onto and attach to steering knuckle may cause a 'shake up' or 'vibration' to the 'system' especially during a 'harsh and rough' tightening of 4 or 5 holding nuts by the use of 'unprofessional' pneumatic tool in an inappropriate manner.

Having said that, the 'slight' change in front toes, if any may not be detectable by driving 'feel' though its numbers may change in subsequent alignment check on an alignment rack.

Edit: Torquing by hand done professionally may eliminate the possible scenario above vs incorrect use pneumatic wrench tools.

Last edited by zeng : 21st January 2024 at 18:37.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 01:08   #283
BHPian

Hi all I just took delivery of a Kia Seltos but guess what!!
Both tyres on the right side of the car are mounted inside out; IE the date of manufacturing is not visible. Pictures attached.
The dealer obviously termed this as "normal" but said I can get it fixed in first service.
How urgently should I get it fixed?

The dates are visible on the two tyres on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel Alignment & Balancing-whatsapp-image-20240130-1.01.00-am-1.jpeg  

Wheel Alignment & Balancing-whatsapp-image-20240130-1.01.00-am.jpeg  

Old 30th January 2024, 01:51   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Hi all I just took delivery of a Kia Seltos but guess what!!
Both tyres on the right side of the car are mounted inside out; IE the date of manufacturing is not visible. Pictures attached.
The dealer obviously termed this as "normal" but said I can get it fixed in first service.
How urgently should I get it fixed?

The dates are visible on the two tyres on the left side.
These could very well be symmetric tyres, which can be mounted either way. The red dots on the tyres matching with that on the rim indicate that they are mounted as expected.

Only assymetrical tyres need to be mounted in a specific way, they have 'INSIDE'/'OUTSIDE' engraved on them.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 17:40   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
These could very well be symmetric tyres, which can be mounted either way. The red dots on the tyres matching with that on the rim indicate that they are mounted as expected.

Only assymetrical tyres need to be mounted in a specific way, they have 'INSIDE'/'OUTSIDE' engraved on them.
I believe you are right, thank you!
I had a good look at the tyres and they do not say inside/ outside on either side.
Agree about the dots too,
All these years I have always had tires with markings "mounting this side" which were not there on these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks