Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2023, 22:44   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wheel Alignment & Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For the vehicle to go straight, the steering wheel has to be at slight right tilt. Even here, there is a right pull on some roads.

If the steering wheel is dead centre, then there is a clear left pull
Post the alignment report here. That might help someone figure out if there is something off, especially if you compare with a report from another car of same make and variant. Like I said earlier I don't believe there is anything like settling down of the alignment except when there has been a suspension overhaul. Even my crashed SX4 with deviated camber would give same readings Everytime without change.

Assuming alignment report shows all green, you should narrow down to the nature of the pull. And since you said you changed tie rods, I believe there is zero steering play.
1. If you hold steering straight and hard, does the vehicle still pull to a side? Then toe must be looked into and redone with steering perfectly centered. In Madhus they use a digital spirit level for the same and ensure steering is at 0.0 before adjusting toe. You can opt for toe to be at the inner limits, ie on positive side to enable better straight tracking.
2. If that's not an issue, does the vehicle pull to one side if you let the steering slightly loose or free? And when this pull happens does the steering also rotate to one side slightly?

Last question, was the steering or steering rack ever removed/replaced in your car?

Last edited by audioholic : 11th April 2023 at 22:45.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 06:31   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

@Audioholic,

a left-pull issue is inherent in my Safari, and we cant go with keeping all values within the allowed values and still expect zero-pull. Madhu's guys have been able to set the alignment in a way to give a workable setup - no pull, no un-even tyre-wear. But this time it's still eluding.

the HPS has been kind of overhauled months back, again by the same mechanic who has worked on my Safari for many years now.
Old 12th April 2023, 07:58   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Audioholic,

a left-pull issue is inherent in my Safari, and we cant go with keeping all values within the allowed values and still expect zero-pull. Madhu's guys have been able to set the alignment in a way to give a workable setup - no pull, no un-even tyre-wear. But this time it's still eluding..
If this is the case that you can't go with prescribed values, then trial and error is the only solution. Like I said the focus on adjustment would be based on the nature of the pull if you are deviating from be values.

Mechanics are not always analytical when it comes to issues. If the rack has been touched, then let go of the steering on a level road and let the steering crawl. If the steering wheel automatically rotates slightly to one side and stops there, then the rack and column would be the culprit and not the alignment.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 12:15   #259
DSC
BHPian

In my Tata, I have always noticed there is always a slight left turned steering wheel when the car goes perfectly straight, if you take the base of the steering (Pic attached) as reference. If the steering is perfectly straight (Ridge is not visible), the car goes to the right.

Had this since the first day, thought will go away after third service wheel alignment, however, it only become worse. I can also see an improper camber set by the tata SVC, which I overlooked.

Any suggestions on a good wheel alignment center in Hyderabad?

Attached:

1. Wheel alignment report by Tata SVC on during third service.

2. Steering position when the car is perfectly straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel Alignment & Balancing-img_20230704_113638.jpg  

Wheel Alignment & Balancing-img_20230710_084839.jpg  

Old 18th July 2023, 08:52   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
In my Tata, I have always noticed there is always a slight left turned steering wheel when the car goes perfectly straight, if you take the base of the steering (Pic attached) as reference. If the steering is perfectly straight (Ridge is not visible), the car goes to the right.

Had this since the first day, thought will go away after third service wheel alignment, however, it only become worse. I can also see an improper camber set by the tata SVC, which I overlooked.

Any suggestions on a good wheel alignment center in Hyderabad?

Attached:

1. Wheel alignment report by Tata SVC on during third service.

2. Steering position when the car is perfectly straight.
When driving straight ahead with hand(s) temporarily off the steering wheel, does the vehicle pulls left or pulls right?

Yes, you need an alternative alignment shop as this Tata alignment job is not up to mark imho.
Old 18th July 2023, 09:09   #261
DSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
When driving straight ahead with hand(s) temporarily off the steering wheel, does the vehicle pulls left or pulls right?
The vehicle moves straight, else I have to redo the alignment immediately. The problem is, when the vehicle moves straight, the steering is no longer centered, it is offset to left.

Does any outside wheel alignment shop have these specifications of the model? As they seemed to be programmed in the system model wise, and the operator selects the model from a list to extract the optimal set up.
Old 18th July 2023, 10:41   #262
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle moves straight, else I have to redo the alignment immediately. The problem is, when the vehicle moves straight, the steering is no longer centered, it is offset to left.
If the Toe-in is within specified limits and tyre press equal at front, try adjusting the steering wheel. I see you have a 2021 Tata Punch; the ASS should have a steering puller to do the job.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:48   #263
DSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
If the Toe-in is within specified limits and tyre press equal at front, try adjusting the steering wheel. I see you have a 2021 Tata Punch; the ASS should have a steering puller to do the job.
Will try in next service. Which has become greater concern for me now is

TATA SVC has entered an incorrect odometer entry for my vehicle during third service. The vehicle was serviced at 12943 KM, whereas the entry for third free service has been made at 16127 KM, above accepted service schedule of 15000 KM. I wonder if this will this impact warranty of the vehicle.

The svc said they will take care of it if it comes to that, but they cannot correct it as the job sheet is closed. However, you can't trust TATA Svc can you.
Old 18th July 2023, 20:05   #264
BHPian

Quote:

Does any outside wheel alignment shop have these specifications of the model? As they seemed to be programmed in the system model wise, and the operator selects the model from a list to extract the optimal set up.
This issue of steering wheel off centre to the left encountered is NOT alignment specifications (range) related but is more of a 'finishing' or 'detailing' in the finalised alignment readings, which Tata seems incapable of.

Your best bet should be an alternative competent (outside) wheel alignment shops which are hard to come by btw.
Old 20th July 2023, 09:53   #265
DSC
BHPian

Quote:
Your best bet should be an alternative competent (outside) wheel alignment shops which are hard to come by btw.
Are these alignment specifications varying model-wise? If so, my doubt is weather an outside alignment shop will have the specification for Punch? Else it will be again same issue.
Old 21st July 2023, 20:28   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Are these alignment specifications varying model-wise? If so, my doubt is weather an outside alignment shop will have the specification for Punch? Else it will be again same issue.
Your issue of steering wheel off-centre to the left whislt tracking straight ahead on a straight road is NOT caused by the (Oem) alignment specification (range) as displayed in current alignment report.

Hence any third party independent alignment shop or any other Tata service centre/dealer offering either exactly similar or dissimilar alignment specification (range) in itself, will not automatically determine whether the steering wheel is on-centre or off-centre.

The off-centre steering wheel as encountered here IS caused by the (not so properly done) alignment angle values/numbers such as the finishing front left toes and front right toes ....... which any competent alignment tech (whether or not he is from Tata or independent shop) would be capable of rectifying it to achieve a status of steering wheel being on-centre.

An alignment specification (range) in itself has no role in achieving a desired on-centre steering wheel position.

Solution: seek out another competent alignment guy (other than your current Tata guy) to deliver you a steering wheel that is on-centre whislt tracking straight ahead, AND no phenomenon of vehicle pulling to either one side.

Last edited by zeng : 21st July 2023 at 20:30.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 11:08   #267
DSC
BHPian

Quote:
Solution: seek out another competent alignment guy (other than your current Tata guy) to deliver you a steering wheel that is on-centre whislt tracking straight ahead, AND no phenomenon of vehicle pulling to either one side.
Yes. That's the next task. To spot a good alignment shop that resolves this issue.
DSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 11:58   #268
V3V

Hello all, need a quick advice. I've ~4y old BMW X1. The front left tyres have completely worn out. I've the factory fit Bridgestone RFT's

Went to the authorised service center today (I am in Mumbai). The estimate they shared with me has 35k for 2 tyres + 14k for labour + WA + WB. Are these charges fair?
Old 29th October 2023, 14:00   #269
BHPian

Balancing: I felt a little vibration ~120 km/hr during the recent long-drive.

Does an unbalanced wheel cause damage even at lower speeds when there is no vibration? Do I need to get balancing done right away even for local use or just before the next long-drive?

Earlier, I had an unbalanced wheel which likely led to bearing damage.
Old 30th October 2023, 07:00   #270
BHPian

Hello everyone. Does using an exact size tyre from a different tyre manufacturer affect wheel alignment and balancing?

Also, we have a car in the family which required tyre replacement after 50000 kms. The owner bought 3 tyres from Bridgestone and for the fourth one, he used the spare tyre (also Bridgestone, same make as the other 3, same size). Is there any issue that could crop up with this practice? The spare tyre was largely unused for a long period of time, so does the rubber harden up or something?

Most Viewed