Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 02:51   #226
BHPian

Re: Wheel Alignment & Balancing

Can anyone please recommend a good, knowledgeable and reliable tyre shop in Pune for wheel balancing and alignment.

Would really appreciate some help from Pune members as I have tried 2-3 places including ASC, but am not entirely satisfied.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:08   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Can anyone please recommend a good, knowledgeable and reliable tyre shop in Pune for wheel balancing and alignment.

Would really appreciate some help from Pune members as I have tried 2-3 places including ASC, but am not entirely satisfied.
Were you able to find and recommend one? I have heard of Lokmanya but they are little far away from where I stay near Pune Camp.

Has anyone used/heard of "17 - 22 inches" in Kalyani Nagar, Pune? They have good reviews on Google Maps and seem to be a Pirelli authorised dealer but have never heard of them myself.
Old 16th November 2021, 21:14   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Were you able to find and recommend one? I have heard of Lokmanya but they are little far away from where I stay near Pune Camp.
No, didn't hear of any new one. I am thinking of visiting Lokmanya next time. Have you been able to find any other one in Pune?

I am willing to travel if the work is reliable and not a mere formality like most ASC's do.
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:50   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
No, didn't hear of any new one. I am thinking of visiting Lokmanya next time. Have you been able to find any other one in Pune?

I am willing to travel if the work is reliable and not a mere formality like most ASC's do.
Well I had a bad time trying to get Wheel Alignment done for my Scorpio.

I tried Prateek Enterprises (Pirelli showroom) at the Fatimanagar Junction - terribly slow, and they didn't bother to even attempt to straighten the steering wheel properly before starting so it was completely off centre when driving straight. They said it will supposedly straighten up after driving round for a bit and were not willing to adjust more. Do not recommend them except for a semi-decent car wash. Did not bother going back there to get it fixed as had no confidence in them after this.

Next called up NS Mehta on Karve Road and went there (didn't realise at this time that they had an outlet in Camp too). They at least attempted to straighten the steering well but did it from outside the car window. This time it still wasn't perfectly centred, but they said it was because tyre pressure was 2 or 3 psi higher on one side - wasn't 100% sure but took their word for it. Drove a few more kms and I still wasn't happy. By now had almost studied the art of wheel alignment online and was sure it was only because the steering wheel was not perfectly centred both times.

Called up NS Mehta again and spoke to Sunil Mehta himself. He asked me to go to their Camp outlet next morning (round the corner from BMW next to the synagogue) and assured it will be fixed. Went there bright and early and explained the issue. This time their technician went and sat in the car, locked the steering wheel properly with their steering lock device, checked it several times over and then did the alignment. This time it was perfect. Of course did not have to pay for this.

I think the first 2 times I got it done (Prateek near Fatimanagar and NS Mehta on Karve Road), they were just inexperienced technicians or stand-ins for the actual technician, both absolute rookie errors. Probably just bad luck that this happened twice in a row. NS Mehta Camp was very good (think the technicians name was Suraj or Pankaj).

I would still like to know of someone in the area who does Hunter Wheel Alignment, but in the meantime can recommend NS Mehta Camp as long as you get the proper technician.

Such a long story for what should have been a simple job!
Old 7th December 2021, 18:27   #230
BHPian

Good evening everyone. Wanted to ask a noob question. My car is going for 3rd service (10,000km) tomorrow. Should I get the wheel alignment and balancing done? Also how frequently it should be done?

Should tyre rotation should also be done along with it every time and what should be the pattern of tyre rotation?
Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 19:46   #231
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Good evening everyone. Wanted to ask a noob question. My car is going for 3rd service (10,000km) tomorrow. Should I get the wheel alignment and balancing done? Also how frequently it should be done?

Should tyre rotation should also be done along with it every time and what should be the pattern of tyre rotation?
Thanks
Yes, its recommended to do it together.
Also recommended you do it at an independent shop. 99% of the time, the service centers do a bad job of alignment and balancing.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 21:56   #232
BHPian

If one feels vibration at a speed of 120, it likely means balancing is out.

I am curious to confirm that even if there are no vibrations (let's say <120), a bad balancing could still harm the suspension?
Old 6th January 2022, 17:09   #233
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to set up a Wheel Alignment & Balancing facility along with Car Wash facility and Tyre dealership.

Please let me know the reputed equipment manufacturers of the equipment needed for that.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th January 2022, 21:28   #234
BHPian

Hello everyone, I was hoping that you guys could provide a solution/advice regarding a problem that I'm facing with my Maruti Suzuki Swift. All was well until last month. On Jan first week, decided to get the tyre pressure, alignment and balancing done. This was done at a place close to my home. After this, the car was very jumpy especially over bad section of roads. I suspected that they might have overinflated the tyres and got it checked and corrected the next day. But even after that the problem was not solved completely. When going through small potholes and bumps, the car jumps all over the place and this was becoming rather annoying. The tyre pressure was checked again and was found to be normal. Fast forward 2 weeks and the car was given for annual service at a Maruti service centre. Told them about the problem. They advised to check the alignment again. I am attaching the alignment values from both places below. The service centre said alignment is alright and it could be an issue with a bush that comes along with the shock absorbers. They checked it and said that the wear and tear on the bushes aren't that much to have this much problem with the ride quality. They advised to replace it only if the issue becomes too difficult. Took delivery of the car and the problem still persists. Also did a quick alignment check from another tyre shop and they said there isn't much problem. The issue is livable. But it wasn't present until the alignment was checked during the first instance. What do you guys think is the reason for this?

Here are the values of wheel alignment. I'm not sure what to make out of it.
Wheel Alignment & Balancing-screenshot_20220116211158__01.jpg
This is from the first place
Wheel Alignment & Balancing-screenshot_20220116211202__01.jpg
This is from the Maruti service centre
Old 16th January 2022, 21:39   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
All was well until last month. On Jan first week, decided to get the tyre pressure, alignment and balancing done. This was done at a place close to my home. After this, the car was very jumpy especially over bad section of roads.
If the alignment has been checked and certified correct by 3 different agencies, it shall be indeed correct.

What they adjust during the alignment is the "Toe". Other angles like "Castor" etc. are only checked but not corrected (they can't be, at the alignment centre).

The incorrect Toe adjustment shall not result into a bouncy ride. Please get your shock absorbers (dampers) checked. The car bounces when the dampers loose their damping ability. They aren't expected to fail in just 29000 km. But still, get these checked.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 16th January 2022 at 21:41.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:37   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Attachment 2261146
This is from the Maruti service centre
I would have thought Maruti has done quite a good alignment there, and I'm a bit surprise you still feel otherwise.

Having said that, factory doesn't provide for adjustment of both Front Cambers and Rear Cambers if I understand them correctly.

However, my hunch is your predicament may be relieved a little bit by installing a set of Front eccentric camber bolts (after-market) and, instead of as is positive Front cambers try to aim for a bit of negative cambers and see how it goes from here.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 13:11   #237
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good and reliable wheel alignment/balancing shop in Chennai as I swapped 2 tyres in recently… Can’t trust ASS, so thats why. Kindly help
Old 10th October 2022, 00:12   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good and reliable wheel alignment/balancing shop in Chennai
I always go to MRF tyredrome. I think their equipment and professionalism is topclass. Been visiting them for the past 10+ years now.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 19:57   #239
Senior - BHPian

It seems that newer cars especially with the ones that have electronic stability control and other driver assistance system have a Steering Wheel Angle Sensor. I think my 2017 Polo also has it.

After getting the wheels aligned this sensor also needs to be recalibrated by using a Scan tool.

I was wondering if all the shops including the reputed ones ever do this procedure after aligning the wheels?

Hunter Systems has this very interesting article about why it is important to do it.

https://www.hunter.com/media-center/...-sensor-reset/

In the interest of safety we should all ensure that this step is performed every time alignment is done.
Old 2nd November 2022, 20:25   #240
BHPian

One question:

I recently got tyres of my car changed.
Without going into specifics, here are the turn of events that happened

1. Dealer gives three options for tyres (175= company spec, 185,195 upsizes).
2. I had done my homework long ago and didn't remember the right upsizes for my car so trusted what options dealer gave. Dealer quoted same price for 175/185 and it made sense to just go for 185 which I did.

3. About time when new tyres were wheel balanced and getting fit on car, I checked with online tyre upsize calculator as i was unable to remember 185 as option from my earlier homework. It turns out upsizing from 175/65/R15 to 185/65/R15 is not recommended as it is more than 2% error from original spec.

4. So I requested dealer to change it and opted for 195/60/R15.

5. This time, dealer didn't do the balancing and just mounted the new tyres and fitted into car. I noticed this on the last tyre.

Dealer argument was that new tyres don't need balancing and it's the alloy wheel which needs it and has been already balanced with 185 tyres.
It was getting late with on the edge kid with me
so I just took his justification on face value and moved on. Anyway I had made them do the fitting work twice, and this time they were in mode of pay for any extra work.

Question: is dealers justification correct? Or should I get the tyres balanced again?
He did do the alignment after fitting 195 as it wasn't done yet with previous ones.

Most Viewed