Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2005, 15:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Did the wheel alignment this morning. Herewith Iam attaching the report for the same. Also the guy changed the front wheels to back and the back one to front. Will this have any impact?

Also would like to know what's wheel balancing?

Old 10th August 2005, 15:28   #17
BHPian

Some decent info is available here
http://www.kwik-fit.com/wheel-balancing.asp

PS: It is a good idea to balance your wheel after any puncture and assosiated repairs. Just balancing the wheel-in-question is enough.

Cheers

Last edited by Xsailor : 10th August 2005 at 15:30.
Old 13th August 2005, 17:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Most cars come with a 0.2-0.3 deg difference in castor between the right and left wheels...This is to take care of the 'crown' or camber of the road.....The car will normally pull very slightly to the right in Indian case(RHD) on a perfectly flat (uncambered) road...

According to the report: -

1) You are running negative camber on the left...For a road car I have never seen negative camber being run...Change to +40 mins on the left and see what happens...As it is now, your left tyre may wear out faster.

2) Your toe-out on the left wheel was 25 mins, which is more than right wheel at 16 mins....That s probably why your car was pulling to the left on a cambered road...If you had driven on the right side of the same road, it would have pulled to the right though not as abruptly...

My suggestion is, go to another one or two alignment places and see if the same settings show up....My money says you will get as many readings as the no. of places you go to...This is my personal experience...On the same day, I went to 3 different places and got 3 different readings...

Try this and come back with the results...Also, pm MPower, he might be able to help...

Last edited by ananthkamath : 13th August 2005 at 17:52.
Old 18th August 2005, 11:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath

1) You are running negative camber on the left...For a road car I have never seen negative camber being run...Change to +40 mins on the left and see what happens...As it is now, your left tyre may wear out faster.

2) Your toe-out on the left wheel was 25 mins, which is more than right wheel at 16 mins....That s probably why your car was pulling to the left on a cambered road...If you had driven on the right side of the same road, it would have pulled to the right though not as abruptly...

My suggestion is, go to another one or two alignment places and see if the same settings show up.
Oops!!!!!

I had kept myself away from actively participating in the forums, hence missed out your post. Thanks for pointing this out. I will take my car to MRF Tyre drome & check it once again. Will update you on this.

Thanks for pointing this out
Old 18th August 2005, 12:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Your friend is right. Check alignment again. If the alignment is ok and car still moves towards left..change the tyres. Put the right one to left. If it's a directional tread pattern, you need to remove the tyre from the rim, change the direction to get the pattern right.

Hope this helps.
Hi,
This reminds me- I've put Ducaro GA on my Baleno. I saw a small arrow on each of the tyres showing the direction of the wheel rotation. Now, the way the tyre shop, after alignment, has put it, I can see the arrow signs on both the left side tyres and on the right side, it's at the reverse(inner)side- can't be seen. Is this fitment correct?

Are the Ducaro GA one direction tyres? what happens if U fit the tyres to rotate in the wrong directioN?
Old 18th August 2005, 16:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Hi,
This reminds me- I've put Ducaro GA on my Baleno. I saw a small arrow on each of the tyres showing the direction of the wheel rotation. Now, the way the tyre shop, after alignment, has put it, I can see the arrow signs on both the left side tyres and on the right side, it's at the reverse(inner)side- can't be seen. Is this fitment correct?

Are the Ducaro GA one direction tyres? what happens if U fit the tyres to rotate in the wrong directioN?
The Goodyear Ducaro GA appears to be an asymmetrical tyre. On asymmetrical tyres there typically is a marking on the tyre indicating that that side should be on the OUTSIDE. So it seems that your right side tyres are not fitted correctly.

I am not sure what is the impact of fitting an asymmetrical tyre wrongly. My guess is that it should affect only lateral grip (that is, in cornering situations) and should not make any difference to straight lline situations. I am sure the experts can throw more light on this.
Old 2nd April 2006, 13:10   #22
BHPian

i too have a problem with my alignment which was done recently.
the car goes in a straight line only when steering wheel is turned slightly to the left (only then are the tyres pointing straight). can the steering wheel be removed and fixed? or should i do an alignment again at
a different place?
ive attached the alignemnt and wheel balancing reports
also arent a few weights a bit on the heavy side (range frm 30gms-75gms!!)

the tyres seem to be in good shape with no uneven wear and steering wheel has no vibration either at higher speeds, thought it feels a bit uneasy under heavy breaking.

inputs from you guys on what i should get checked would be helpful
thanks
Old 15th March 2009, 09:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Balancing/Tyre pressure/What? Swift

My Swift Diesel compelted 5000 km and i thought it was time to get the tyres rotated as it had been a pedal to metal kilometers some of them over smooth roads though.The tyres are 185/70/R14 and the alloys are Swift ZXI alloys.

Asked the tyre guy 'sign' tyres at Mumbai Sion road to rotate them and the tyres being mounted in the front should be checked for balancing also.

Surprisingly in 5000 km the back tyres which were to be mounted in the front had lost its balance and needed to be balanced again.I am surprised HOW ? I thought alloys wheels balancing lasted long.

Also after the rotating was done and i was on my way the ride become bumpier.I could feel the steering go a little up and down.Narrowed it down to faulty balancing and went to another guy for balancing.

To my surprise the balancing done by sign tyres was faulty.Now we put the spare wheel on the front left side and the left side tyre as stepney.

This left side tyre being in the spare had a tyre pressure of 29 when i checked later and the other right tyre had 32 in the front and 31 behind

Before the 5000 km rotating i used to keep 32 in the front and 31 behind too but with the tyres rotated how come this pressure seems high ?

How come the ride is bumpier with this setup after the rotating and before the rotation it used to be perfect ?

Really confused, thinking about puttting the pressure to 30 in all tyres.Is that fine ?
Old 15th March 2009, 19:10   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, for our roads, 5000kms is the correct interval for balancing. Of course, some people's experience may vary, but on the whole 5k kms is a good interval.

Also, how are you measuring the pressures? If you are using different gauges, then maybe that is to blame. Buy a gauge for yourself and use that only to measure the gauges. Then experiment with a few different settings andf find the most comfortable one.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:58   #25
BANNED

Yesterday, I had a puncture on front left tyre and I changed the tyre myself.

Is there any need for alignment/balancing now ? I had done the alignment check before 2000 KMS.
Old 9th July 2009, 13:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Yesterday, I had a puncture on front left tyre and I changed the tyre myself.

Is there any need for alignment/balancing now ? I had done the alignment check before 2000 KMS.
If you have repaired it and put it back, a balancing would be good, alignment is not needed.

Try driving it at your speeds and if there is no steering vibration, you can refrain from doing the balancing too.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:56   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Mithun, balancing not required if you had got the spare tyre also balanced when you last got balancing done.

Alignment definitely not required.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:40   #28
BHPian

Hi Mithun,

You need to do balancing in below two scenarios.
1. While do puncture job, if you had accidently dropped the weights.
2. If the position of the tyre is being changed while fitting tyre back (if it Tubeless tyres, then removing tyre from the wheel and fitting back is not required, hence no question of changing the position).

Hi Everyone,

As far as I know, with all new cars (I am excluding Mercedes) the only adjustment with regards to alignment is done is toe the other two angles viz. Camber and Castor are fix and no adjustment can be done. In most scenario with all new cars there is no need to have these angles get adjusted due type of suspension (unless chassis gets problem).

Anuj
Old 7th January 2010, 15:09   #29
BHPian

Wheel Alignment issue

Hello all,
I have a query regarding wheel alignment. I have a 2002 model Zen which runs on Bridgestone radials (steel rims). No matter how many times i giver her for wheel alignment, after a few days it starts pulling left when the steering wheel is left untouched. I know Bangalore has bad roads, but i am a careful driver. Could anyone please tell me how to rectify this?
Old 7th January 2010, 15:19   #30
Team-BHP Support

Have you tried rotating the tires and see if the pull goes off? How many kms have the car done, was any suspension job done on it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks