Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 12:47   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Where will i find these hub centric rings in south mumbai? And cost?
Are these the same as the "O" rings?
Guys. I'm still waiting for an answer... No one in bombay can help me kya? Disappointing!
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:56   #152
sAP
BHPian

Delayed response

Sorry I did not get a chance to reply earlier. I am in and out of circuit occasionally.

To answer your question, I no longer use the Corsa, but I would recommend that for any car that uses "lug bolts" (as opposed to lug nuts) to hold the wheel to the hub -- such as the Corsa, Skoda, etc -- to give careful consideration to hub centricity.

In vehicles that use lug "nuts" to hold the wheel, it appears that hub centricity is less critical.

In India, I know Aura makes aftermarket wheels to fit the Corsa hub center without leaving a gap.

Also, it is important to ensure that each wheel is balanced as accurately as possible. You could try the balancing shops others have used and recommended in this thread to attain an appreciably accurate result.

Good luck.

sAP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_7703 View Post
H

Zap,

Are you still with Aura alloys on your Opel Corsa stock tyres. How is it doing? any issues? Iam plannig to go for alloys on my COrsa sedan stock tyres (175/75/R13) and after reading your posts , i feel i should go for Aura. What is your suggestion? Any other alloy brands in your opinion can be fitted with Corsa?

thanks in advance
Raj
Old 23rd March 2009, 07:18   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
In vehicles that use lug "nuts" to hold the wheel, it appears that hub centricity is less critical.
Thanks sAP, I think that is an important piece of information. Fortunately my car falls in this category, and what you said seems to apply! Only proper balancing is enough.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:54   #154
Senior - BHPian

Where can i get hub centering rings in north mumbai? i am getting vibrations after crossing 90kmph. openned and checked the alloys and found quite a good amount of gap. i have done the balancing twice but its not helping
Old 5th November 2009, 09:27   #155
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody tell me what metal is used in making the rings. i plan to get it worked from local lathe guy, as cant find them in market.
Old 5th November 2009, 13:03   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Can somebody tell me what metal is used in making the rings. i plan to get it worked from local lathe guy, as cant find them in market.
you can use aluminum metal,make sure there is no gap and it should a tight fit.for reference see this pic

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/818202-post132.html
Old 10th November 2009, 18:09   #157
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the picture, will get it done in aluminum.
Third time balancing seems to have solved the issue and there was nothing noticeable upto 110kmph, but i am not comfortable with the gap so will get it made soon.
Old 27th March 2011, 20:10   #158
Senior - BHPian

Re: Solution for vibrations after installing alloy wheels

Came across these ready made rings. Was initially skeptical about "plasticy" looking items, but the manufacturer claims that they are actually better than metal rings as they are hard/strong enough not to deform/break, do not melt, make noise (in case of loose fitting?; which should not be the case in the first place), or damage alloys (if too tight?).
Dirt cheap on ebay, but unfortunately do not seem to be available locally. Got a set from US for my car and alloys dimensions. First impression is that they are pretty good, precise dimensions that fitted quite snugly. Haven't yet gotten a chance to test them beyond 80Kmph, though! Here is a picture after mounting. I think it is high time accessory shops start stocking such rings in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Solution for vibrations after installing alloy wheels-p1030027.jpg  

Old 29th March 2011, 01:27   #159
sAP
BHPian

Santosh

I am curious that you had an interest in these rings. I thought you said you didn't have a need for them since your wheels were "lug-centric" in an earlier post?

That looks like a good fit though. Nice find. They make them out of ABS plastic out here. Had them on my previous Acura Legend with Konig wheels.

sAP

Last edited by sAP : 29th March 2011 at 01:29.
Old 29th March 2011, 12:13   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
Santosh

I am curious that you had an interest in these rings. I thought you said you didn't have a need for them since your wheels were "lug-centric" in an earlier post?
True, I was not so desperate to get these. As mentioned earlier, I had faced severe vibrations in the beginning which smoothed to a good extent after proper balancing alone. In spite of that, I always thought it would be a good idea to have centering rings as well (irrespective of type of mounting) for additional benefit. Because every time you remove a wheel and mount it back there is a possibility of new imbalance, or it could develop over time merely due to regular stress that wheels have to undergo while driving. In last several years, vibrations did in fact appear again but severity would be less and the speed at which it happens was also high (120+ kmph), hence did not bother much. Balancing reduces vibrations, but it doesn't make it as smooth as what I experience in Palio with stock wheels (a precise hub fit). Hope these rings should raise Baleno's high speed ride quality close to that.

Was aware of these ready-made rings (as it is mentioned right in the first post!), but was discouraged due to material being plastic, and feeling that rings sold in US may not have a right fit for my car and alloy combination. Well, until I changed my mind now . After hunting for the right fit, it seems both hub diameters of various cars and even after market alloys are actually a set of "standard" numbers, so finding a right fit is actually much easier than what I thought. Earlier, had tried to get metal rings locally or to get them custom made at a lathe shop, but gave up due to hassles involved.

Quote:
They make them out of ABS plastic out here.

sAP
Seller claims it is "poly carbonate". Is it the same as ABS plastic?
Old 29th March 2011, 20:24   #161
sAP
BHPian

Polycarbonate is a tougher material than ABS plastic, so its actually better. ABS plastic replaces polycarbonate though since its cheaper and "almost" as strong.

sAP
Old 30th March 2011, 00:00   #162
kkg
BHPian

My bad that I bumped into this thread today only. I have neo alloy wheels in my Spark for the last three years. Whenever I hit the highway I get vibrations on the steering around 100-120kmph.

Many wheel balancing sessions done but the problem never got fully resolved, only the speed range of the vibrations changed i e these days steering vibrates around90-100kmph.

How to solve this issue and from where to get these rings as i do not know the numbers of my alloy wheels and the hub of my car. Also, as I have run my car around 46000kms on this configuration, would this have affected the strength of my lug bolts and nuts in any way??
Old 2nd April 2011, 10:12   #163
Senior - BHPian

After going through 11 pages of this thread I find serious disadvantages of putting on anything but OE alloys. Must keep checking the classifieds. Anyone selling OE swift/ dzire/ ritz alloys?
Old 16th May 2011, 11:28   #164
sAP
BHPian

Bought a 2nd set of wheels for winter tires. Had to be BMW OEM. Though I did consider getting a set from Beyern -- which makes BMW-only wheels.

Not taking any chances with the driving quality of these vehicles. It's a matter of precision now.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:20   #165
BANNED

I think, even an Nylon 66, Acetal rod can be machined for rings, which is better than ABS. and much stronger than ABS. I am also planning to get an set of machined rings made by these polymer.

But , do we need it for all four wheels? or just front wheels are fine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks