Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2007, 02:25   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
sAP, nice thread with lots of useful info.

Came across this one only yesterday. And after reading through it, I now know that there are quite some tasks for me to do.
I had moved from stock steel wheels to Alloys (the ones you saw at the last tbhp meet) a month or so ago. Did it at Lal's, Whites Road. He said there is no need for balancing/alignment and I also did not do it. After the change I never got a chance to do any high speed driving (above 100kmph) and thus not sure whether there will be any vibrations or not. Anyway, plan to get the balancing/alignment done soon. Thanks.

Somehow after seeing all the possible issues that can result from changing stock stuff, I feel that it is always better to stick to stock like I had been doing pre-tbhp. If not for tbhp, my car would have had stock rims for its whole life and my bank a/c would have not been thinner by 12K.
IMO too many hassles which are not really worth the looks that you gain from alloys.
it does not always happen... Ihave aftermarket league alloys in my Baleno....and have never faced vibrations till 180 kmph...
BTW.. the baleno HUB protrudes merely 1 mm or two at most... wonder what kind of support it will provide at all even if the alloys were OEM or "Hub Centric"
Old 28th February 2007, 10:21   #92
BHPian

Hi all;
I have brige tyres and 1 of the shoes have kind of worn out...
now my q? is is it necessary to change alloys whenever changing tyres...plz update my knowlege so that i can decide alloys for ma zen.
Old 28th February 2007, 10:54   #93
BHPian

Is a new alloy needed for new tyre always?
Old 28th February 2007, 11:23   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I would say this is one of the most ridiculous features offered in any tyre But im glad its got nothing to do with the car. I thought my wheel bearings were busted. Do you mean to say that if i install a set of tyres without a V tread, i would not get the sound? I guess V treads are the wrong choice then? Thank anyway.

Epic
Yes, it is a ridiculous design feature but it has its uses vis-a-vis the grip offered by these designs & also the looks which are important for a lot of people. I think if you're more into a comfortable ride rather than outright grip than a non-V tread design should serve you well the next time around you have to change tyres. Till then live with these & turn up the stereo if the noise gets too much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
Is a new alloy needed for new tyre always?
No there is no need, replacement tyres can be very well mounted on the original wheels unless you're planning to go for bigger tyres.

Are you going to put in tyres of the same size only?
Old 29th March 2007, 12:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I changed to aura alloy wheels(A61350) & Tubeless tyres (Goodyear GPS2) same day I bought car (santro xing xo). Started getting vibrations after going beyond 80 kmph after initial running-in of 800 Kms. Google search led me to this site & thread.
Wheels dealer did wheel centering on front wheels, tested it beyond 80 kmph, vibrations looked to have stopped but re-appeared after couple of hits to 100 kmph. Again went to wheels dealer, he swapped front right & rear left, moved front left to rear right and stepney to front left. He did this as he felt front wheels were taking too many weights for centering. Again took the car for testing with his mechanic, little vibrations were felt but not to the extent felt earlier. I am not sure whether problem has got resolved completely, can confirm only after a trip on pune-mumbai expressway.

Two questions:
What's hub dia. for santro xing? Wheel dia. for aura wheel(model A61350) seems to be 56 mm or so (didn't get correct tool for exact measurement).
If hub. dia. matches wheel dia. then it will not require any hub rings. But, if vibrations persists, then what could be issue? Will these vibrations at high speed create any problem for suspension or any such?

------
Santro Xing XO
Oct 2006
Clearly with "too many weights" for centering..your problem is not the alloys..but the tyres...you should report the matter to goodyear and get the tyres exchanged under warranty
Old 31st March 2007, 10:35   #96

Hey all,

Now it's my turn to pen down my worries!!!

I recently upgraded wheells on swift vxi to NEO wheels with exact pcd, (14"x6.5); But no wheels centre rings,, now my car shakes preety rigoursly at speeds above 120Kmph which obviously never happened with stock rims!!

Can anybody suggest how to go about it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31st March 2007, 12:20   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
Hey all,

Now it's my turn to pen down my worries!!!

I recently upgraded wheells on swift vxi to NEO wheels with exact pcd, (14"x6.5); But no wheels centre rings,, now my car shakes preety rigoursly at speeds above 120Kmph which obviously never happened with stock rims!!

Can anybody suggest how to go about it!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Grizzly,

If you have upgraded the wheels with the exact PCD, then i hope the PCD of your Neo wheels is 100. If not, thats the first step where you have gone wrong.

When upgrading your rims, there are two things your have to keep in mind and HAVE TO GET THESE FIGURES EXACTLY RIGHT and that is, PCD & Offset. The PCD for the Swift is 100 and the Offset should be 43.

I guess in your case, you claim to have got the PCD right but the wheels may not have the right offset which could be the reason for vibrations.

The offset is usually mentioned on the rim itself and is denoted by ET.
For example, rims suitable for the Swift will have ET43 embosed on the rim itself.

Epic
Old 31st March 2007, 12:38   #98

and tyres are still the stocks!!!! :(
Old 31st March 2007, 21:49   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Grizzly - Did you get the wheels balanced before fitting them? In all probability they were not balanced prior to fitting & hence the vibrations.

However, if that is not the case then check the PCD of your alloys with the dealer.
Old 31st March 2007, 23:54   #100
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly
The stock tyre size is 165/80 R 14, am I right? In that case, as per the rim width calculator in the Carbibles website, the maximum rim width you can use is 6J. So why did you go for 6.5J? Not a good idea, it will badly affect your ride. I am not sure if this is the cause of your problems -- don't know what you mean by "my car shakes....". My suggestion is to upsize your tyres to at least 175 width if you plan to stick to these alloys. Secondly, as noted, check the balancing and alignment, and hope your tyre pressures are correctly set (which will also affect high speed handling). And what is the brand name of your 6.5J alloys? You can get the wheel specs, including offset, from the official web site of Neo alloy wheels:

http://www.neowheels.com/Catalog.htm
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:50   #101

Appologies, the wheel's size is 14"x6"

Wheels balanced and aliignment done!!
Neo Wheel's PCD is 100
Wheels offset is 42/22 (mm)!!!

Wat to do????? Cud offset variation of 1 inch be the reason for high speed vibrations (140Kmph +) ????
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:30   #102
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Appologies, the wheel's size is 14"x6"

Wheels balanced and aliignment done!!
Neo Wheel's PCD is 100
Wheels offset is 42/22 (mm)!!!

Wat to do????? Cud offset variation of 1 inch be the reason for high speed vibrations (140Kmph +) ????
So there is a 20 mm reduction in offset; could possibly be the reason; most websites suggest a maximum difference of 10 mm in the offset from the stock figure. But my alloys have an offset of 26 mm against the stock figure of 46 mm, again 20 mm less. Yet I do not have any problems at high speeds (140-150 kmph) in my Santro. I asked for one day's time from my alloys dealer and test-drove my car at 130 kmph before finally agreeing to purchase the alloys.

In your case, you could contact your dealer and ask for an exchange or return of your alloys (you may have to shell out some money). If the dealer agrees, test-drive your car before finalizing any deal for new alloys. My suggestion is to go for the company-supplied Zxi alloys, or at least buy aftermarket alloys with similar specifications. Or else you could try out the solutions suggested by sAP in this thread, if you plan to stick to your present alloys.
Old 7th May 2007, 23:14   #103
BHPian

Alloy wheels on AVEO 1.4 LS

I too have changed my wheels to Alloy and the steering vibrates when I drive at 80 + kms.

I read this section and see that the Hub rings should help. Anyone knows if GM (Sundaram) knows about this. What do i have to tell them to get this fixed ? Any ideas who can best help in Bangalore.
Old 7th June 2007, 23:14   #104
BHPian

I could use some help here :

I don't have Alloy wheels on my XETA, Just the Steel ones with Apollo Tyres.

Today, I was doing 100-120 on the expressway, and felt the steering wheel vibrate, from 100 Kmph onwards.

I usually inflate the Tyres at 32 psi or whatever the display reads at the HP Pump.

Usually I drive under 60, so this was first time in the last 14700 Km and 11 months 23 days, that I noticed this...Infact this was second time I went above 100 in the XETA - The First time around 7000 Km, I had no issues.

The Vibrations are felt in the steering, its not wobbly, but it vibrates like a PS 2 Controller in Chain Saw Mode. But the car remains steady and solid.

What could be the Plausible cause, I have never got the Balancing or Alignment done as of yet and the car functions fine below 100.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 7th June 2007 at 23:25.
Old 7th June 2007, 23:38   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post

What could be the Plausible cause, I have never got the Balancing or Alignment done as of yet and the car functions fine below 100.
Looks like a Balancing issue...!

Please get balancing done n check the psi of all wheels.I think 32 psi is little too much...30psi should be enough...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks