Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 18:29   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Guys - Quick Question.
For this particular model of Alloys the PCD is mentioned as 98mm - 114.3mm (Not sure why there is a range provided here) and my Zen has a PCD of 98mm. I'm not too sure if the vibrations are because of the difference.
98mm-114.mm means your alloy is a multi PCD. It can be fitted on cars with 98 or 114.3mm PCD. Since your car has 98mm PCD this is not a problem for you.

Since your balancing of your wheels are correct this could be the problem with difference in centre bore sizes. Mostly your alloys will be centred using lugs now where as the stock would be hub centric. You can confirm this by removing the alloy cap and see if there is excess space between the wheel and the hub?

Have you used nuts which taper slightly at the inner end? This will help centre the wheels even using lugs to some extent. If this is the case already and you still have the problem, you can get hub rings fitted. Make sure the fitter takes the exact measurements before ordering the rings.

Nirmal
Old 25th April 2008, 18:38   #122
BHPian

Hi Nirmalts -

Yes i use nuts that are tapered at the inner end. In fact the nuts i use are not the standard ones...they are about 3' long (as my alloys have deep holes for the nuts) and can only be tightened by using an additional bolt which goes into the nuts (instead of a wrench holding it from the outside for regular nuts). IMO i should be getting the rings made but any info on where i can get them made from in Hyd? Or can i just goto any lathe guy and get them made. From what i understand, these rings are supposed to fill any gaps between the central bolt and the alloy rim. So if i get a ring made from a lathe guy it should do the job, right?
Thanks
Old 25th April 2008, 23:41   #123
BHPian

Thats exactly the solution for the problem use aluminum rings.when i installed the alloys i too had that problem and i reported the problem to the alloy shop keeper he just called a guy in lathe he came with the vernier caliper in hand and measured the alloys inner and the center bolt to fill the gap me made aluminum ring and fixed it in the alloys.the problem is solved and i had to 1200 for it.
Old 26th April 2008, 17:00   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 View Post
Thats exactly the solution for the problem use aluminum rings.when i installed the alloys i too had that problem and i reported the problem to the alloy shop keeper he just called a guy in lathe he came with the vernier caliper in hand and measured the alloys inner and the center bolt to fill the gap me made aluminum ring and fixed it in the alloys.the problem is solved and i had to 1200 for it.
Thanks....Any particular metal i should opt for? I have noticed that some people used aluminium and some have used steel. Besides the weight / malleability / anti rust advantage, is there any particular reason i should go for aluminium versus steel?
Old 26th April 2008, 21:44   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks....Any particular metal i should opt for? I have noticed that some people used aluminium and some have used steel. Besides the weight / malleability / anti rust advantage, is there any particular reason i should go for aluminium versus steel?
Aluminium would be a good choice.

Please keep us updated

Nirmal
Old 27th April 2008, 20:12   #126
Senior - BHPian

Today I got the time at hand to put the new shoes of the car on test and taken her to NICE road. Tried a few runs and as I've feared the steering vibration is there.It starts from around 100/105 kmph and persists upto 130kmph and also the it feels like that the car was hovering and that was not something inspiring. So I guess it's the same problem as everyone have faced in hub-centric cars which are now lug-centric due to new alloys. Can it also be a problem of balancing ? Because when I installed the wheels the balancer at Sai was not working and they got it done somewhere else, so I've no idea whether they've done it correctly or not.

After that, from 135-165kmph there is no vibration at all and car felt quite stable(no hovering also).It was planted on the road and the steering was stable with good feedback and I felt to be in good control.
Another question, if the tire pressures are not same across all the wheels can that also lead to similar issues ? While returning I got the pressure checked and the front right wheel had 3psi more pressure.
BTW, the car is Baleno and on yoko s-drives 195/55/15 on Lenso Samurai's.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 28th April 2008, 10:58   #127
BHPian

Dear Kaushik -

i dont think its a case of balancing as you would feel the vibrations starting around 50-60 Kmph when your wheels are not balanced. As to the different tyre pressure, i think your car would pull to one side (the side with the lower tyre pressure) if you dont have them inflated correctly. There are some links in the earlier posts from where you can get the details of the PCD of the Baleno as well as your Alloy manufacturer (in case you dont have them already).In most likelihood the vibrations are due to the Alloys. A simple test would be to open all the nuts and see if the alloys has any space between the center lug and the rim to move. Ideally it should not have any space. But if it does....there's your problem! Hope this helps.
A
Old 28th April 2008, 11:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Kaushik -

i dont think its a case of balancing as you would feel the vibrations starting around 50-60 Kmph when your wheels are not balanced. As to the different tyre pressure, i think your car would pull to one side (the side with the lower tyre pressure) if you dont have them inflated correctly. There are some links in the earlier posts from where you can get the details of the PCD of the Baleno as well as your Alloy manufacturer (in case you dont have them already).In most likelihood the vibrations are due to the Alloys. A simple test would be to open all the nuts and see if the alloys has any space between the center lug and the rim to move. Ideally it should not have any space. But if it does....there's your problem! Hope this helps.
A
thanks theodore, yeah I also thought the same but to make sure I've posted here. Yes the car was pulling slightly so I got the pressure checked while coming back. But vibration due to balancing can start from 100/110 types also many times, I've experienced that before and I would've thought it as balancing problem had I not crossed 140kmph.So the vibration was on that particular band of 105-135 kmph only.Will get the hub-ring made by this weekend for sure.Hope that it'll solve the problem.
Old 28th April 2008, 13:31   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
thanks theodore, yeah I also thought the same but to make sure I've posted here. Yes the car was pulling slightly so I got the pressure checked while coming back. But vibration due to balancing can start from 100/110 types also many times, I've experienced that before and I would've thought it as balancing problem had I not crossed 140kmph.So the vibration was on that particular band of 105-135 kmph only.Will get the hub-ring made by this weekend for sure.Hope that it'll solve the problem.
Hi Kaushik,

Where do you plan to get the hub rings done in Bangalore?

Nirmal
Old 28th April 2008, 18:10   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hi Kaushik,

Where do you plan to get the hub rings done in Bangalore?

Nirmal
Still waiting for a reply from Spider77, it seems he has got them from some place in Lalbagh, but haven't mentioned the address.Wanna meetup sometime this weekend and get it done together ?may be we can get discount he he..
Old 28th April 2008, 18:53   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Still waiting for a reply from Spider77, it seems he has got them from some place in Lalbagh, but haven't mentioned the address.Wanna meetup sometime this weekend and get it done together ?may be we can get discount he he..
I would love to do it together. But unfortunately not in India right now. Will be back in 3 weeks. I hope yours will be done by then.

I read somewhere that Pitstop also does it in Bangalore.

Nirmal
Old 4th May 2008, 17:49   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKIYA_2K12 View Post

Here is the picture aluminum ring fixed in the wheel

Solution for vibrations after installing alloy wheels-dsc01636-desktop-resolution.jpg
Old 5th May 2008, 10:44   #133
sAP
BHPian

memoirs

Its been a while since I first started this thread hoping to help someone out there having a wheel vibration problem. Several months and a few years later, I am glad to see that it is still helping some of you out there.

Go for them alloys boys. There's a wheel out there for every size and taste. Keep up the *go* with the show.

sAP

{{ ADVANCE }}
Old 10th May 2008, 20:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Very informative thread especially as I am planning to upsize my Lancer from stock 13" to 15" alloys ? Anyone know the stock offset of 13" Lancer GLXi rims and the hub diameter ?

Regards,
Old 8th August 2008, 22:01   #135
Senior - BHPian

I recently got 15" alloys for my Optra, the dealer from whom I bought tyres and alloys told me to check for vibrations at high speed before I went in for hub-centric rings.
The day before yesterday, on my drive to Tirupati, I was able to reach speeds excess of 100kmph, that's when I did notice the slight tremor in the steering, since I had read about this in this thread, I knew the reason.

Now, has anyone got these rings fitted in Bangalore recently?
If yes, would you be kind enough to share the information so that people like me can get the same fitted?
Thanks,
Hari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks