OR

2. Upsize to these beautiful 16" rims from Momo with 205/50/R16 Pirelli P7
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-momo-rush-hypersilver.jpg  

VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-momo-rush-matte-black.jpg  

VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-momo-rush-anthracite.jpg  

Old 28th April 2016, 14:23   #197
BHPian

It depends upon your budget if you can spend go for 16 inch alloy wheels with pirelli p7.
Old 28th April 2016, 15:45   #198
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
It depends upon your budget if you can spend go for 16 inch alloy wheels with pirelli p7.
Budget is not much of an issue. The issue is now the size of the tires and PCD of the rims. Just got to know that the Momo Rush don't come in 100 X 5 PCD and the Pirelli don't come in 205/50/R16 size.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:54   #199
Senior - BHPian

After a lot of thought on whether to upgrade my tyres or upsize my wheels, I took the plunge to upgrade my tyres. My stock 185/60/R15 JK Vectra tyres had over done it duty by serving me for a whooping 58k kms from the time I bought the car in Feb 2012. Even though the tyres did not feel that bad and still had a god amount of tread (another 5k kms) in them, I feel this was a dangerous risk I took of waiting for so long.

So finally took the plunge of upgrading the tyres to the Continental Max Contact 5 (MC5) in the 205/55/R15 size and I am pretty content with the decision so far.

I drove a good 20 kms after the install and here are my initial and immediate observations:

- I never realised how noisy my JK Vectras were until I drove on the MC5s. Super silent!
- The car did slide a bit at sharp turns but I expect this to vanish once the tyres run in.
- Braking was a huuuge improvement.
- Lovely tread pattern.
- Car looks a bit bulkier. I wish it would look sleeker like if on 205/50/R16s.

Here are some pictures post install
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-polo-continental-full.jpg  

VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-polo-continental-1.jpg  

VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-polo-continental-2.jpg  

VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-polo-continental-3.jpg  

Old 14th June 2016, 10:12   #200
BHPian

Anyone upgrading their Stock Polo Alloys please PM me... I would like to buy out the old ones
Old 21st June 2016, 09:50   #201
BHPian

Hi all, my Polo Petrol 1.2 Highline is now 5 years old, and its time the replace the OEM tyres (Apollo Amazer, I believe) (185/60 R15). They havent given me too much mileage though - only about 40K - but they look pretty worn out.

Questions for this group:
1. Whats a good tyre to go for? My usage is primarily within Bangalore City. Am looking at Goodyear (approx 4K per tyre), Bridgestone (4.8K per tyre), Apollo Anlac (approx 4.3K per tyre).
2. The Tyre guys are pushing that I have to compulsorily do a wheel alignment and balancing costing about Rs 1200 when I change tyres. I wasnt aware that this was a compulsory thing - any views on that please?

Thanks
Anshuman.
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:58   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
2. The Tyre guys are pushing that I have to compulsorily do a wheel alignment and balancing costing about Rs 1200 when I change tyres. I wasnt aware that this was a compulsory thing - any views on that please?
It would be better to do the balancing after installing the new tires. It's very possible the balance of the wheels will shift with newer rubber.

I don't think alignment is "compulsory" especially if you have done it recently. But I always do it with new tires anyways. You should try and get them to include the alignment and balancing with the cost of the set of tires.

But as far as your original question, I don't think anything is "compulsory", but no harm in doing it. It should make your tires last longer.
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:49   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
The Tyre guys are pushing that I have to compulsorily do a wheel alignment and balancing costing about Rs 1200 when I change tyres. I wasnt aware that this was a compulsory thing - any views on that please?
Wheel balancing is must when changing tyres. Wheel alignment is desirable but can be skipped if it was carried out 1000/1500 Kms back.

Rs. 1200 for wheel balancing & alignment is too high for Polo. Balancing charges are dependent on add-on weights(in gms) used and alignment charges for Polo should be not more than Rs 300-350.

Please search better tyre dealer.
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:06   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

I drove a good 20 kms after the install and here are my initial and immediate observations:

- I never realised how noisy my JK Vectras were until I drove on the MC5s.
I have MC5s in 195/60/15 size on my GT TSi and let me tell you the difference when I moved from stock Apollo Alnac to this was absolutely immense.

It was quieter, ride less bumpy, much more grippy with better steering feedback. The feedback was something I sorely missed in the Apollos.

While I have seen tyres that are better corner carvers (Yoko AD07), this tyre is not bad at all and doesn't sacrifice ride comfort or noise to achieve the same.

The Yoko's ride was like sitting on a bed of razors and after a few thousand km became incredibly loud.

Moving from JK Vectras to this would be a revelation I guess.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 22nd June 2016 at 14:08.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 14:48   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So finally took the plunge of upgrading the tyres to the Continental Max Contact 5 (MC5) in the 205/55/R15 size and I am pretty content with the decision so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I have MC5s in 195/60/15 size on my GT TSi and let me tell you the difference when I moved from stock Apollo Alnac to this was absolutely immense.
How are the MC5s off road on dirt and unpaved roads? I am planning to make my old 1.2 a bit rougher and Im looking for a larger tyre than the stock 185/60/R15 size Ive got currently. On road performance is not much of a concern as I never go above 120kmph and my average speeds hover around 60kmph.

Do the 205s fit the wheel well properly?

Also, is there any offroad/AT tyre which can fit the polo? Im planning on raising the suspensions as well.
Old 28th June 2016, 07:09   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
How are the MC5s off road on dirt and unpaved roads? I am planning to make my old 1.2 a bit rougher and Im looking for a larger tyre than the stock 185/60/R15 size Ive got currently. On road performance is not much of a concern as I never go above 120kmph and my average speeds hover around 60kmph.

Do the 205s fit the wheel well properly?

Also, is there any offroad/AT tyre which can fit the polo? Im planning on raising the suspensions as well.
Mc5 is a soft compound in the end so won't work if you abuse it. For your application I suggest mrf as it takes well to abuse. Yes 205 will fit but will probably slow down the car.
Old 1st September 2016, 17:52   #207
BHPian

How much can i expect if were to sell the Estrada alloy wheels of Polo GT TSI as soon as I get delivery? I plan to upsize to 16"
Old 11th December 2016, 10:48   #208
BHPian

How much do you think I would be able to fetch for the Apollo tyres that came with my GT ? I'm planning on changing them to Continental MC5 205s.

The tyre dealer in my locality quoted 15k for the new tyres after buyback and discounts. Worth ?
Old 11th December 2016, 11:06   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
How much do you think I would be able to fetch for the Apollo tyres that came with my GT ? I'm planning on changing them to Continental MC5 205s.

The tyre dealer in my locality quoted 15k for the new tyres after buyback and discounts. Worth ?
What size are you planning to get? I paid under 10k for an upgrade to 195/60/15 MC5
Old 11th December 2016, 11:16   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post

I just checked with a dealer from whom I have been buying all my and close pals tires and he is quoting Rs. 6k change for MC5s and also he buys back tires. You can check with him and go ahead if cost & location suits. He has 3 shops. You can contact Ilyaz (A1 Car care center - 9880049305).

KK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks