Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2016, 20:04   #166
BHPian

Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi guys, will be taking delivery of a Polo GT TSi in the next few days. I plan to upgrade to 16"" wheels right away with Yokohama S-Drives in 205-50-R16 size.

I would love to understand details of the stock wheel specifics of the Polo GT sold in india. From what little i could gather, the stock size is 15" x 6J, 100 x5 PCD, Hub Bore diameter being 57.1 (as per the specs of the EU Polo).

It would be great if anyone could share concrete data along with the stock ET wrt. the Polo sold in our country. It would be of immense help to the entire Polo community here who are looking at up sizing wheels and tyres just like me

Cheers guys
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:05   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
Hi guys, will be taking delivery of a Polo GT TSi in the next few days. I plan to upgrade to 16"" wheels right away with Yokohama S-Drives in 205-50-R16 size.

I would love to understand details of the stock wheel specifics of the Polo GT sold in india. From what little i could gather, the stock size is 15" x 6J, 100 x5 PCD, Hub Bore diameter being 57.1 (as per the specs of the EU Polo).

It would be great if anyone could share concrete data along with the stock ET wrt. the Polo sold in our country. It would be of immense help to the entire Polo community here who are looking at up sizing wheels and tyres just like me

Cheers guys
You got all the details right. The offset (ET) of the stock alloys is 40. I got MOMO Revenge for my Vento and a MOMO hub ring made of high density plastic came with the alloys. The offset for the MOMOs, incidentally, is 35.

I do hope you have considered all the implications of a move to 16": very limited tyre availability; voiding of suspension warranty (though it's anyways very limited), etc. Also, I hope you're reconciled to the noise levels of the S-Drives after a few thousand kilometres, in an otherwise very quiet car. On the other hand, the car does look quite smart in 16"

All the best!
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:25   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
You got all the details right. The offset (ET) of the stock alloys is 40. I got MOMO Revenge for my Vento and a MOMO hub ring made of high density plastic came with the alloys. The offset for the MOMOs, incidentally, is 35.

I do hope you have considered all the implications of a move to 16": very limited tyre availability; voiding of suspension warranty (though it's anyways very limited), etc. Also, I hope you're reconciled to the noise levels of the S-Drives after a few thousand kilometres, in an otherwise very quiet car. On the other hand, the car does look quite smart in 16"

All the best!
Thanks buddy, that was quick. Incidentally, i am looking at MOMO alloys as well and contemplating getting the MOMO Hyperstar EVO in 16".

The Revenge wheels you got are 16" too? Momo Hub ring i am assuming to be the whats also called as the hub centric ring, right? How does one get it from MOMO specific to a certain car sold here? IIRC, all cars have different Hub Bore Diameters. Is it easily available for various cars directly from MOMO?

Cheers
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:36   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, that was quick. Incidentally, i am looking at MOMO alloys as well and contemplating getting the MOMO Hyperstar EVO in 16".

The Revenge wheels you got are 16" too? Momo Hub ring i am assuming to be the whats also called as the hub centric ring, right? How does one get it from MOMO specific to a certain car sold here? IIRC, all cars have different Hub Bore Diameters. Is it easily available for various cars directly from MOMO?

Cheers
Glad I could help. I got mine in 15", because wasn't happy with the tyre choice in 16". MOMO alloys are an excellent choice and the Hyperstar is a very smart design

Yes, am referring to the hub centric ring, and the MOMO dealer gave it along with the alloys (at no extra charge). What i meant by MOMO hub rings is that these were also manufactured by MOMO and came with the alloys.

There are a limited number of hub bore diameters, and MOMO supplies a list of which sizes are specific to which cars, and of course, hub centric rings in all the sizes. Depending on the customer's car, the dealer simply supplies the rings in the size relevant to him.
Old 3rd January 2016, 23:46   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Glad I could help. I got mine in 15", because wasn't happy with the tyre choice in 16". MOMO alloys are an excellent choice and the Hyperstar is a very smart design
Thanks buddy, i am getting the same alloys in 16'' x 7J in the 5 x 100 PCD. Assuming i'd go ahead with the above choice with 205-50-16 rubber, what are the aspects you'd suggest i keep in mind to make sure the wheel/tyre combo doesnt foul anywhere in the wheel wells/suspension/bodywork?

Ideally what would be the ideal ET range in my case to keep in mind without worrying about anything fouling in the long run?

Quote:
There are a limited number of hub bore diameters, and MOMO supplies a list of which sizes are specific to which cars, and of course, hub centric rings in all the sizes. Depending on the customer's car, the dealer simply supplies the rings in the size relevant to him.
Wow, thats great to know that i will definitely not go wrong wrt. the hub mating with the MOMO wheels. Thats the best news of the day really for me. thanks a ton

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 3rd January 2016 at 23:50.
Old 4th January 2016, 00:03   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, i am getting the same alloys in 16'' x 7J in the 5 x 100 PCD. Assuming i'd go ahead with the above choice with 205-50-16 rubber, what are the aspects you'd suggest i keep in mind to make sure the wheel/tyre combo doesnt foul anywhere in the wheel wells/suspension/bodywork?

Ideally what would be the ideal ET range in my case to keep in mind without worrying about anything fouling in the long run?

Wow, thats great to know that i will definitely not go wrong wrt. the hub mating with the MOMO wheels. Thats the best news of the day really for me. thanks a ton

Cheers
With respect to the alloys, you're taking care of all the relevant questions, so I think you're pretty much sorted.

Regarding MOMO, they come with a 1 year warranty, and be sure to ask for a warranty card, which needs to be filled in before the alloys are mounted, since there's a number which is only accessible before you mount. Not a big deal if you have a good dealer / have a good relationship with him, but better to do in case you don't, or for peace of mind.

About the tyres, you should be good with the size because it has a circumference variance of just 1.39% to the original, which is so marginal, that it won't touch the body or top of the wheel well. Also, lots of people are using 205 width on their Polos / Ventos, so we know this size does not foul with the wheel well or suspension. The offset of the MOMOs is 35, which means the tyre is slightly more towards the outside than the stock size, which not only looks smarter, it further reduces the chance of the tyre fouling with the wheel well.

When I cautioned you about the tires earlier, I meant that the S-Drives are a noisy tyre, and I wanted you to be sure if you were ok with that. This becomes even more of an issue in the TSI since it's such a silent car, and after a few thousand kilometres, that tyre noise really increases, and it gets to you. However, the S-Drives are a popular tyre in the TSI community, so guessing not everyone has an issue with that, but be sure to experience this before you make a decision.

Incidentally, I have the Yokohama AVS db v550, which offer the steering feel & grip of the S-Drives, and the silence of the Michelin P3ST, but as per my knowledge, they're not available in 16" in the Polo size.

Last edited by bosporus : 4th January 2016 at 00:07.
Old 4th January 2016, 00:14   #172
BHPian

Quote:
With respect to the alloys, you're taking care of all the relevant questions, so I think you're pretty much sorted.

About the tyres, you should be good with the size because it has a circumference variance of just 1.39% to the original, which is so marginal, that it won't touch the body or top of the wheel well. Also, lots of people are using 205 width on their Polos / Ventos, so we know this size does not foul with the wheel well or suspension. The offset of the MOMOs is 35, which means the tyre is slightly more towards the outside than the stock size, which not only looks smarter, it further reduces the chance of the tyre fouling with the wheel well.
When you say the offset of the momos is 35, is it that all the momo 16'' alloy wheels sold in India have a common ET of 35?
Old 4th January 2016, 00:25   #173
BHPian

Quote:
When you say the offset of the momos is 35, is it that all the momo 16'' alloy wheels sold in India have a common ET of 35?
I remembered the 35 offset both for my 15" and 16" when I was researching my alloys, by this got me curious and I checked online, and it seems, in 100 PCD, they are manufactured in both ET of 35 & 40, but only 35 is available. I may be just a current availability issue, thought I suspect it could be deliberate, because aftermarket alloys typically have wider tires installed.

MOMO Hyperstar EVO

If I had the option of both, I would go for offset of 35, because a) you're going in for wider tires, and I wouldn't want any chance of the tyres fouling with the wheel well b) they just look smarter with that slightly edge of wheel well look and c) the offset change compared to stock is so marginal, it doesn't materially affect the steering geometry.

Last edited by bosporus : 4th January 2016 at 00:26.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:11   #174
Senior - BHPian

VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My Vento has riverside alloys and i have already lost 2 alloy centre caps and VW charged me a good 450-500 every time for one piece.

Another one is missing now and i just want to order a set of 4 from aliexpress now, they cost 450-500 for 4.

Does any one know what is the size of centre cap for these alloys, 55-58 mm?VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451976026.215664.jpg

P.S : Image taken from google.
Old 23rd January 2016, 20:33   #175
BHPian

Quote:
I remembered the 35 offset both for my 15" and 16" when I was researching my alloys, by this got me curious and I checked online, and it seems, in 100 PCD, they are manufactured in both ET of 35 & 40, but only 35 is available. I may be just a current availability issue, thought I suspect it could be deliberate, because aftermarket alloys typically have wider tires installed.

MOMO Hyperstar EVO

If I had the option of both, I would go for offset of 35, because a) you're going in for wider tires, and I wouldn't want any chance of the tyres fouling with the wheel well b) they just look smarter with that slightly edge of wheel well look and c) the offset change compared to stock is so marginal, it doesn't materially affect the steering geometry.
if you can manage to get the one with ET 40, it would be perfect. The one with the ET 35 might jut out a bit from the body work. the effect might not be huge, but might foul with the wheel arches if the suspension bottoms out. Might not be a huge issue.
Old 14th February 2016, 20:03   #176
BHPian

I'm planning for a tyre upgrade for my 1 year old polo. I'm not very keen to change the rim size of the stock tyres. I have shortlisted Michelin energy xm2 and primacy 3ST.
XM2 is available with the stock size(185/65 R15) but prima 3ST starts from 195/55 R15. I have only good experiences with xm2 for the past 4-5 years but I have not used prima 3st till now.
Experts, please throw in your valuable suggestions.
Old 28th February 2016, 00:20   #177
DWC
BHPian

Hello tyre people, looking for some sound advice. I have a two part question actually. My front tyres are almost bald after completing 40500 kms on my polo (yes, they have been rotated at both previous services). My rear tyres are in decent shape and look like they will go another 15000 to 20000 kms easy.

I want to upgrade to 205/55/15 in the future, but I don't want to throw away my two decent rear tyres. So my question is, can I buy two tyres (existing size) instead of four and just exchange the front ones? Will that affect the overall drive?

Or should I just change all four and upgrade now itself?

Also, would someone with the 205/55/15 tyres be kind enough to put a picture up, trying to figure out how they look compared to the factory setup. Cheers.
Old 30th March 2016, 16:47   #178
BHPian

A few questions I need answers to. Any help will do !!

Hi guys

I have a Vw polo 1.2 petrol 2010. I have a few questions and any help at all will do and be appreciated.

I have tried looking for threads regarding the same but haven't been too successful. Mods please merge threads if needed and sorry for the inconvenience.

So firstly, I recently put 17 inch yohohoma tyres on my car and Before everyone goes on at me about how it was a stupid decision, I already know but I love 17's on a nice little hatchback and I am very happy with how it looks. I have had 17's on other cars as well so I know the risks as well as the maintainence as well as the rapid wear of parts due to the big wheels

After driving about two weeks with the big wheels, I noticed that the front left tyre has developed a small bulge on the tyre wall. I am a very careful driver and haven't rubbed or knocked the wheel anywhere. No potholes , hard hitting a speed breaker etc. I have yohohoma S drives currently and want to know how this could happen and what to do. Does warranty cover this defect ?

Secondly, I have been experiencing some rattling sound from the from left mainly and slightly on the right. Somewhere down near the wheels or suspension I suspect. I have changed the suspension link rod, tyre rod roll joints and bushes, suspension top mount and the sound still didn't go. Today I got my lower arms changed and I can still hear the sound. I just cannot figure out what it is and I would be very grateful if someone can help me.

Thank you
Old 30th March 2016, 17:31   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A few questions I need answers to. Any help will do !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj sulz View Post
After driving about two weeks with the big wheels, I noticed that the front left tyre has developed a small bulge on the tyre wall. I am a very careful driver and haven't rubbed or knocked the wheel anywhere. No potholes , hard hitting a speed breaker etc. I have yohohoma S drives currently and want to know how this could happen and what to do. Does warranty cover this defect ?
It might be covered, or it may not.. best thing to do is to check with the company and get it inspected as soon as possible. S-Drives are soft compound tyres and are more vulnerable than hard compound ones. As for the size if the tyre doesnt scrape the car wheel well on full turns and also doesn't scrape the top when going over potholes or speedbreakers then it is ok. What is the tyre spec you have gone for? If it has low sidewall height like 55 or 60 then the chances of a bulge increases.

Quote:
Secondly, I have been experiencing some rattling sound from the from left mainly and slightly on the right. Somewhere down near the wheels or suspension I suspect. I have changed the suspension link rod, tyre rod roll joints and bushes, suspension top mount and the sound still didn't go. Today I got my lower arms changed and I can still hear the sound. I just cannot figure out what it is and I would be very grateful if someone can help me.
Did you try driving the car with the old tyre size (borrowed) and see if the problem went away? Did the tyre shop try playing with the lug nuts configuration? It seems a lot of money has been wasted in this shoot-in-the-dark fixing process. Isn't your car with the 3 cylinder 1.2 litre engine? This car didnt quite require a wheel upgrade. It also seems like the mechanic (whether from independent garage or authorised station) wantonly took you for a ride. A rattling sound can be something as simple as a loose screw in your glovebox rolling around, loose wheelwell cladding or incompatible lug nuts from the new wheel. New mechanic or change of authorised station highly recommended. You have already nearly done a suspension overhaul, now time for a qualified 2nd opinion asap.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 17:54   #180
BHPian

Re: A few questions I need answers to. Any help will do !!

Hi dark knight

Okay this may shock you, Iv got 40 profile tyres. No the tyres don't scrape anywhere at all, lots of clearance. Alright will check with the company.

As for the noise , I haven't put my stock tyres on and checked. Maybe I should do that. When I out these wheels the tyre place sold me lug nuts to fit these particular wheels. And very honestly I haven't checked to see if they are the cause. But I definitely will now that u mentioned it. Thanks a lot

Btw , the sound from my past experience definitely sounded like the low arms gave way. That's why I went with it and got them changed. But problem not solved. So frustrated and annoyed with the damn sound !!

Last edited by dj sulz : 30th March 2016 at 17:58. Reason: Adding

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks