Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 13:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
As the front tyres are only 8 months old, and the car might not have run more than a few thousand kilometers on those (you will know how much it's run from July last year), I suggest you change only the rear tyres. I'd suggest you go for the same brand as those in the front, for the sake of consistency.

You'll get peanuts for the rear tyres, and perhaps nothing, as they've run 73 K kms.
That's what I was thinking. But I was hoping to go for a proper upgrade. get better tyres. probably Michelin as there's a lot of road noise that seeps in as of now. So I thought I'd change all 4 as that's how it's supposed to be done. and keep one of the newer tyres as a spare.

which tyre brand do you recommend? I would prefer to keep the stock size nd specs. Some tyre which isn't too pocket heavy but has less road noise seeping in as compared to the Bridgestones
Old 28th March 2013, 07:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
That's what I was thinking. But I was hoping to go for a proper upgrade. get better tyres. probably Michelin as there's a lot of road noise that seeps in as of now.
Go for Michelin XM2-205/65/15.You will enjoy the higher Ground clearance, comfort and noise free ride.
Old 28th March 2013, 13:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Go for Michelin XM2-205/65/15.You will enjoy the higher Ground clearance, comfort and noise free ride.

What effect does it have on the fuel efficiency? I am pretty happy with the stock 195 tyres tbh. Which ones should I go for if I want to stick to stock dimensions?
Old 28th March 2013, 15:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
What effect does it have on the fuel efficiency? I am pretty happy with the stock 195 tyres tbh. Which ones should I go for if I want to stick to stock dimensions?
I have not checked FE yet.

If you want to Stick to Stock Dimensions and want a reliable rough roader , Bridgestone Turanza ER300 Should be a Good option.If you drive on Good roads most of the time,Primacy LC has been rated highly for comfort by other BHPians.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 15:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so here's what I found. The front two tyres of my 2007 civic have '0712' basically implying they are new tyres, fitted last year. The rear two tyres and the spare all have '0706' or '0507' which implies they are stock tyres! Apparently my dad had only changed the tyres in the front as they must have been worn out. My dad expired last year and I inherited the civic so needless to say, I didn't have much knowledge about its service etc.
I tested the same with the one rupee coin test and the result is the same, while the front tyres are new and have good tread, the rear tyres have barely any tread left, the indicators are almost level. All are Bridgestone tyres.

So here is my dilemma. Technically I know all the tyres ought to be replaced when you go in for a change. But in my case, since the front tyres are barely 8 odd months old, what should I do?

How much discount do we get on exchanging the old tyres, on an avg?
IMO, Just change the rear 2 tires with new ones of the same brand/profile. The noise could be because of bald as well as aged tires. Bridgestones are good tires and OEM with Civics. Would suggest transfer the front set to the rear and install the new ones in front.
Honda's were the first in the industry who started designing their car suspension/ride etc around the tire they decided for the car. So the OE spec tire would remain the best bet for normal usage.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 19:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. I want a set of tyres that are good to go both in the city as well as highway driving. I want to keep stock dimensions. The road noise is a bit too high as of now, but that may be due to rear tyres which have run 73k!

So what is the best option?

1. Move front tyres to the rear and get same branded (Bridgestone) for the front?

Or

2. Change all 4 tyres to Michelin?
Old 26th October 2014, 23:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
I have not checked FE yet.

If you want to Stick to Stock Dimensions and want a reliable rough roader , Bridgestone Turanza ER300 Should be a Good option.If you drive on Good roads most of the time,Primacy LC has been rated highly for comfort by other BHPians.
Hi Ramanak...would you be able to help and suggest as I need to change the tyres of my Optra Magnum 1.6 LS...have completed 42k kms and now the vehicle is 5 years and a month old. Which tyres would be best... I am not looking at FE but want ride comfort and better road handling.
Old 18th January 2015, 20:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

When is it time to change the tyre?

The Patient :

The Car is question is a 2008 March CRV. Can has done near 40000 kms only.

Car is going to be 7 years old this March 2015. I plan to keep the car for 2 years more (at least)

The car came with Bridgestone Potenzas (Made in Japan according to my tyre guy). It still has the same tyres.

The tyres although old are not showing any surface cracks etc.
hardness increase is evident but not too much (I manufacture rubber components for a living)

There is still a couple of mm's left before the tread depth indicators are hit. Tyres do do suffer any sudden punctures etc.

Previous Ailments:

The steering box had some work done last week (knocking noise). Before that there were no issues.

Current Disease

The car is pulling to the right, and wheel alignment is unable to solve the problem.

Initial Diagnosis

The garage recommended wheel alignment. Wheel alignment was done at a another reputed tyre shop (twice), but the pulling to the right is persistent.

Final Recommendation

Tyre shop says : Buy new tyres or the alignment problem cant be solved.

Does it sound logical / right?

If it does, which tyres to get (on a budget)?
Old 19th January 2015, 01:54   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
The Car is question is a 2008 March CRV. Can has done near 40000 kms only.
IMHO, change the tyres ASAP. Is been 7 years on the OEM sets. The hardness, lower tread depth all are dangerous for our roads.

Quote:
Tyre shop says : Buy new tyres or the alignment problem cant be solved.
Is the tyre wear even? If yes, it is a suspension problemthat needs attention.

As the alignment guys aren't able to solve it do inspect the suspension components and if all are Okay, get new shoes and see if things solve.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 06:58   #40
BHPian

When is it time to change the tyre?

Ideally a new set of rubber would be logical, however I think you should try to figure out why it's pulling to the right first. Possible the suspension bushes have perished ? Thinking out of the box here, have you tried tyre rotation to eliminate other factors?
Old 19th January 2015, 07:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: When is it time to change the tyre?

6-7 years max is what the tyres should be used IMHO if the running is low.As the tyre ages it will develop cracks as the tyre hardens and not at all safe.I would avoid upsizing as i believe it will put some (even if little) additional stress on the steering pump. Hydraulic pumps are notorious for oil leaks and i would prefer stock spec tyres since you need it on a budget as well.

For the alignment issue if the tyre shop is reputed then you could go with their word as after 7 years it's better to go in for new tyres anyways.You could go with Bridgestone's range if they served you well. Michelin might be more expensive.Yoko's might be cheaper but in general have softer sidewall than other tyres.You could also try MRF ZlO's if they come in CRV's size.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th January 2015 at 07:56.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 08:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: When is it time to change the tyre?

What is the tyre wear pattern? When is it pulling sideways during normal driving or is it on braking due to uneven brake bite. Is there any uneven or one sided wear on the tyres, if so, try mounting good amongst the lot and observe for the sideways pulling. If alignment is OK, get the suspension checked.
Old 19th January 2015, 16:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

Got a second opinion. Tyres have to. In my budget have options of Goodyear and Hankook. Please advise.
http://m.snapdeal.com/product/goodye...dium=101901124

Vs.

http://www.tyreonwheels.com/tyres/Hankook/VENTUS-AS/639

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/goodye...-ho/1052781240

What's the difference between goodyear HP and XL series?

Note from Support - Please use the "Edit" button to add more content into your post instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th January 2015 at 18:59. Reason: posts merged
Old 19th January 2015, 18:59   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Got a second opinion. Tyres have to. In my budget have options of Goodyear and Hankook.
I'd say go with Hankook as I have heard good reviews from UV/SUV owners who have changed from OEM.
Old 19th January 2015, 20:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies...

Super confused..

Option 1 ) GoodYear - Wrangler HP All Weather HO - 225/65 R17 (102T) - Tubeless [Set of 4]
5 Years Brand Warranty : Rs.28841 (From Snapdeal.com)

Option 2 ) Hankook VENTUS AS RH07 TUBELESS 225/65R17 : 4 Nos. Rs 33924 (Tyreonwheels.com)

5000 premium for Hankook over Goodyear? Worth it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks