Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 17:13   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

My tyres are five years old (manufacturing week 4315) and driven 30,750 KMs. I plan to use them one more year as driving is very limited these days. Yesterday I got TPMS installed in four tyres and discussed with tyre technicians on the condition of tyres. They said apart from rubber getting harder, tyres are fine and can be used for another one year. They have given an exchange offer of Rs. 1,000 per tyre, if I replace now. I still have 5 - 6 mm to reach tread wear indicator marks. I think, I can wait for sometime to go for replacement.

However, my spare tyre is never used as the wheel is not alloy. Can I keep the spare tyre for few more years as backup for emergency use only?
Old 21st October 2020, 23:26   #182
BHPian

Quote:
However, my spare tyre is never used as the wheel is not alloy. Can I keep the spare tyre for few more years as backup for emergency use only?
As per my knowledge and the way we use, we change all the tyres at once including the spare tyre because it is prone to hardening too. So when the tyres still have about 5K life, as ours is a full size tyre and not a space saver we swap the spare tyre with the tyre which lost threading the most. Usually, as our car is FWD, the front tyres loose the grip first so we swap one of the front tyre with spare as it will be relatively new as no grip is lost but old because it becomes hard.
We change all the tyres at once ,so the ride quality will be good even when using spare( if incase a need arises.)
Sharing my thought thats it, refer to the experts opinion for a proper answer

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th November 2020 at 08:36. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
Old 22nd October 2020, 07:33   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
The spare tyre is the first one you should get rid off. Out of the remaining four, retain the one with the least damage as your spare. Should be good for another 2 years if there is no sidewall damage, cuts etc.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 21:33   #184
BHPian

Thanks for the advises!! I have not yet replaced the wheels, and going by the response, for sure I'll be doing it asap. However, lately had an emergency and had to do a 500 kms trip, which the tires did with no signs of fatigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Please change the tyres immediately. The condition doesn’t look good based on the pictures.Irrespective of how they look, 10 years is too long a time.
I would suggest Michelin XM2 or XM2+ as both are available in your case. Mrf, Continental and Apollo all have competent tyres now. Comfort, silent ride and durability is good in all these brands.
I have been using XM2 and later xm2+ in other two cars for over 8 years, I am satisfied with these tires but they are nowhere near in performance w.r.t grip and low noise level like 3PST Michelin. I am looking for tires having similar performance for Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Please do not drive the vehicle further without replacing the tyres. The tyres are really in a bad shape.
With an experience of working in tyre industry for 7 years (in Manufacturing), I would urge you to replace it NOW.

Tyres are one of the most important factors in safety aspect. Do not compromise on safety. As a thumb rule 5 years / 50K KMs is the tyre replacement threshold. In practical scenario, this varies based on many other factors.
Absolutely, will do it asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I'd suggest Michelin XM2 and Primacy 4ST, Bridgestone Turanza and Continental CPC. There are others too. If in Bangalore go to Madhus which is owned by DBHPian Nikhilb2008. As a pro in this field he'll be able to guide you well.
4ST doesn't come for Innova's 15 inch wheels, not even as an upsize option. In Bangalore I go to Madhus only, however, this vehicle is in Kolkata. Even I agree and replace my car's tyres in 5 years strictly. However, the Innova is at Kolkata home. As per the Toyota manual, it says to get the tires inspected by Toyota technician if they are older than 6 years. And Toyota technician told that the tires are good .

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Tyre in the second last picture looks fine, rest of them are toast.

I agree with others that these are not fit for the highways. But with such low usage + low probability of highway drives in this pandemic situation, I don't see the need for immediate replacement unless this is a daily-driven car.

Just as an example there's no harm in using the car in this condition for running errands or grocery shopping. For anything more important, you may go ahead with replacement depending on your risk appetite. Let us know what you decide.
This is absolutely true, which made me also give it a second thought that it might not make any sense at all to change it now. If a very long trip gets planned (which I am hoping), I will change it, else I'll just keep it for the time being.
Old 24th October 2020, 00:01   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Hi Members,

We have a 2010 Innova 2.5 G driven just for 16k kms (mostly highway runs) till now and is still on the tires came from factory (205/65R15 Bridgestone B390 on steel wheels).

If yes, what would be the options both in VFM and the best tires available for the Innova 15 inchers? My preference is a very comfortable and silent ride. Sharing some close up of the tires taken recently.

Man, those tires have cracks all over them, please change them at the earliest. If they are tubeless tyres, which I presume them to be, you should immediately change them. Btw, only 16k kms on a 10 year old Innova? If at all you are selling it, any prospective buyer will first check if the odometer is tampered or not.

Having changed 4 sets of tyres on my 2008 Innova 2.5 G over 1,70,000 KMs, I can vouch for Yokohama Earth 1 series.

Previous tyres were

1. Good Year Assurance which came with the car from factory (45 K kms)
2. Bridgestone B390s (60 k kms)
3. Michelin XM2 (45 K kms)
4. Yokohama Earth 1 (current set)

Out of this, Michelin XM2s were most comfortable for an already comfortable car, on highway rides, the car was butter smooth, but they did not age well, there were visible cracks within 3 years and wore out considerably only after 45k kms, just like the stock Good Year tyres, but they atleast lasted for the initial 4 years. Bridgestones were equally comfortable and reliable, they lasted for 4 years and 60 k kms, but provided little rough / harsh ride.

The present set, Yokohama Earth 1s are the best of both worlds, they provide soft ride quality of Michelins and reliability of Bridgestones. I think they designed it perfectly keeping the PROs between Michelins and Bridgestones.

My friend bought JK tyres for his Innova and they had similar cracks on your tyres within 2 years. He also bought a set of chinese branded Linglong tyres which caused a tyre burst during one of his highway trip, luckily nothing major happened but his rim got damaged due to considerable speeds. So not just purchasing new tyres, but branded and safe tyres is needed.

Yokohama Earth 1 also comes with 5 years warranty, so I guess, that is the safe and best choice for your car, I've been using the present set from the last 10 K kms, did multiple long drives, never had a puncture, the ride quality is also very comfortable.

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_6524.jpg

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 24th October 2020 at 00:09.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 21:12   #186
BHPian

Hello Everyone

I have been posting this query in the forum for a while. Unfortunately, I have not yet received a proper reply.

I'm in the market to change the Tyres of my Dzire. The current tyres are OEM Tyres I.e., Bridgestone Ecopia B150 (185/65 R15). The car has roughly done around 45k kms (bought in March 2018) and I feel it is high time to change the tyres now. The tyres have some depth in it and there are no visible cracks but i feel 45k kms is the right time to change the Tyres.

The following are the new Tyre options-
1. Bridgestone B250- ₹5225 (Unconditional Warranty)
2. Bridgestone Ecopia- ₹4600
3. Goodyear ATM- ₹3900 (Unconditional Warranty)
4. Falken SN832i- ₹4770 (Unconditional Warranty)
5. Continental CC5- ₹4665

Michelins are in very short supply due to the ban on import of tyres.

I have heard some good reviews about GY and Continental. Bridgestones B250 are expensive. Falken, as a brand I'm not really confident about.

What do you guys think? Is it the right time to change the Tyres? Also, which one do you guys suggest? Plus, please suggest any known and good Tyre shop in Navi Mumbai if possible.
Old 27th November 2020, 21:30   #187
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2014 BMW 320D still on its original Bridgestone Turanza Runflats.

The car has only run 20000 km and hence the tyres still have tread. I do not plan to sell the car for the next 3 years at least.

The rubber is 7 years old. Should I change them from a safety point of view?
Old 27th November 2020, 21:59   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I have a 2014 BMW 320D still on its original Bridgestone Turanza Runflats.

The car has only run 20000 km and hence the tyres still have tread. I do not plan to sell the car for the next 3 years at least.

The rubber is 7 years old. Should I change them from a safety point of view?
Does it have any visible cracks? This is what made me change the tyre even though it has life for another 5k ( mine were run for 72k and 6 years old of apollo make) with nil long highway trips and was planning for one in Dec/Jan timeframe (also another reason)

If you have long trips planned I would recommend change if it has cracks ASAP.
Old 27th November 2020, 22:47   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I have a 2004 Ikon which has done 51K kms and the stock OEM MRF ZVTS tyres have worn out, though still got some tread on them and probably may last another 5K km or more.
I hope that 2004 was a typo!!!!
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 00:59   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Does it have any visible cracks? This is what made me change the tyre even though it has life for another 5k ( mine were run for 72k and 6 years old of apollo make) with nil long highway trips and was planning for one in Dec/Jan timeframe (also another reason)

If you have long trips planned I would recommend change if it has cracks ASAP.
No. Absolutely no cracks. And some tread is still left over.
Old 28th November 2020, 01:53   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
Hello Everyone

I'm in the market to change the Tyres of my Dzire. The current tyres are OEM Tyres I.e., Bridgestone Ecopia B150 (185/65 R15). The car has roughly done around 45k kms (bought in March 2018) and I feel it is high time to change the tyres now. The tyres have some depth in it and there are no visible cracks but i feel 45k kms is the right time to change the Tyres.
Hi Sounak04,

If your tyres are manufactured in 2018, if there is enough trade depth and no damages visible, you can use the tyres for another 10,000 km at least, subject to regular checking of air pressure.

To give you an idea: I have used the first set of tyres on my SX4 for 67,000 km and 5 years. It was JK Vectra supplied with the car. I should have replaced these at 60,000 km itself.

The second set was Ultramile. Very good value for money, good grip, very few punctures, not much noise. I changed these after 58,000 km / 4 years and only a little more than half of the trade depth was worn out. No visible damages. I replaced them because I had a good number of long distance business trips coming up (1250 km one way).

So, if the tyres are good visibly (check thoroughly), 2 years and 45,000 km isn't the end of tyre life. Especially if you aren't planning long distance trips into interior areas having poor roads.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 07:43   #192
BHPian

When is the right time to change tyres?

Tyre life is dependent on two factors. One is time itself. The rubber tends to harder over time while it becomes unable to flex leading to hard ride. It may develop bulges as well. Frequent air leaks as it doesn't maintain that seal with the rim. Usually 5 years or so.

On the other hand if one drives decently there are many members who have crossed 60-70 k kms on tyres. While some have been changing even Michelins at 40k. You will have to carefully examine your tyres regularly and form your judgement on that.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:26   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi Sounak04,

If your tyres are manufactured in 2018, if there is enough trade depth and no damages visible, you can use the tyres for another 10,000 km at least, subject to regular checking of air pressure.

To give you an idea: I have used the first set of tyres on my SX4 for 67,000 km and 5 years. It was JK Vectra supplied with the car. I should have replaced these at 60,000 km itself.

The second set was Ultramile. Very good value for money, good grip, very few punctures, not much noise. I changed these after 58,000 km / 4 years and only a little more than half of the trade depth was worn out. No visible damages. I replaced them because I had a good number of long distance business trips coming up (1250 km one way).

So, if the tyres are good visibly (check thoroughly), 2 years and 45,000 km isn't the end of tyre life. Especially if you aren't planning long distance trips into interior areas having poor roads.
Thanks a lot for advice.

So I just checked the tyres. I couldn't see cracks or bulges as such. I have been doing tyre rotation, balancing and alignment at every 10k kms. The Manufacturing week of the Tyres are 52/17. So its going to complete 3 years (45k kms) in a month.

One of the biggest reason for changing the tyres were that the sound from the road started creeping in more as compared to before.

I do have a road trip planned of around 1000 kms during the Christmas. Considering the increasing number of cases around and new restrictions put in place by the government, I'm not sure if the road trip will take place or not.

My car used to travel everyday for roughly 70-80 kms before Covid. Now the running has reduced drastically. It hardly does 100 kms in a week, unless I feel the need to go for a long drive.

So what u suggest??
Old 28th November 2020, 09:45   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
So what u suggest??
Yes, tyre noise does increase as they age. If it's unbearable, you can go ahead with the replacement. Otherwise there is no safety concern in using the current set till it hits the tread wear indicator.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:52   #195
Senior - BHPian

I dont know what has changed, but tyres used to last 8-10 years on my uncle's premier padmini/Ambassador in the 1980s. Nowadays, just two years - and its done.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks