Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 10:11   #226
BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Using the feedback received here, I did some checking new tyre options during the week. I found another thread here on Madhus Tyre Centre which had very positive member feedback.

So spoke with them about my requirements and though they were helpful on the phone, thought it best to visit them directly. The staff is very helpful and gave enough info on replacements with stock size and other size possibilities.

The only options available for my Micra stock size 175/60/R15 were:
1. MRF ZVTV AT4 - 5000+
2. Bridgestone B290 - above 6000

Other choices in the 185/60/R15 were:
1. Michelin XM2+ - 6200
2. Bridgestone B290 - above 6000
3. MRF ZVTV AT4 - 5000+
4. Yokohoma Earth1 - 4900

I asked about the upsize to 195/55/R15 but the prices were higher. Also given my rather sedate driving, not sure if I wanted to increase budget further while it would have been the right upsize.

While they didn't have Yokohoma BluEarth-AE51, from what I'd read even the Earth1 seemed like a good choice. So finally settled on the Yokohoma Earth1 in the 185/60/R15 size.

The wheel balancing and alignment was also done professionally minor weight issues sorted. Also got the wiper blades replaced as the existing ones were worn out.

For the old Bridgestones, I got only 500

I will monitor the driveability and see how much of the family's complaints of bumpy rides have reduced. Will post an update on this after I have had a chance to drive longer trips

Thank you all for your feedback and helpful comments. Much appreciated!
Old 25th July 2021, 19:03   #227
BHPian

My Honda Jazz VX is 5 years 3 months old and has run only 24k kms. I had a puncture leak recently, and last week I had taken it to a tyre center, and they told me they can't patch it as there are cracks propagating from it, and trying to patch it again using the usual method might cause the cracks to propagate more and fix might not last. Yesterday, I took it to another MRF tyre center to get mushroom patch on it. There too, he said the same, and said he can't guarantee the patch and asked me to get the tyres replaced. He said they will apply the patch at my responsibility. I got it done.

Now, late 2019, I had replaced one tyre as I had a sidewall puncture which couldn't be repaired. I had replaced with the same Goodyear Triple Assurance, which was also the OEM tyre. However, due to lockdown from last year, the car has run only around 5k since then. So, my question is, can I just replace the other three tyres now? Is it better to replace with same brand, or is it ok if its different brand too (say Yokohome BE).
Old 25th July 2021, 19:33   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
My Honda Jazz VX is 5 years 3 months old and has run only 24k kms. ....So, my question is, can I just replace the other three tyres now? Is it better to replace with same brand, or is it ok if its different brand too (say Yokohome BE).
Don't mix tyres from different brands or model. It is better to replace all the tyres at once since the other tyres are 5+ year old. I believe 5year is a good time to replace the tyre. Even if you have not driven much, the tyre will become dry and get cracking. They are not safe for highway driving.
Old 6th November 2021, 13:50   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Using the feedback received here, I did some checking new tyre options during the week. I found another thread here on Madhus Tyre Centre which had very positive member feedback.

While they didn't have Yokohoma BluEarth-AE51, from what I'd read even the Earth1 seemed like a good choice. So finally settled on the Yokohoma Earth1 in the 185/60/R15 size.

I will monitor the driveability and see how much of the family's complaints of bumpy rides have reduced. Will post an update on this after I have had a chance to drive longer trips
I wanted to update on the driving experience after a couple of long trips. In the last couple of months, we have done two 500+ trips, once to Chennai and another to Kodaikanal

The car drives so much better with the new tyres and the road noise has reduced significantly. The unsettled feeling in the back seats has come down and there are no complaints of nausea on long drives.

The general handling of the car seems to have improved or maybe this is just my perception only. In hindsight, I think I should have done this an year or two before itself

Thanks for this group for all the advice. It helped!
Old 15th November 2021, 10:19   #230
Senior - BHPian

For my annual average of around 2,000-3,000 km per annum for each of my 2 cars, it is age that matters, not how much it has traveled.
I recently bought a used Toyota Yaris that was in excellent (just below mint) condition. I thought it would be a good time to also replace all the 4 tyres which were 26,000 km run in 3 years and so maybe had another 15,000 km of life. But running 15,000 km would have meant another 3-4 years on old tyres. So those tyres went and new ones came in.

I have a Honda City CVT of June 2015 that had 24,000 km on odo. So tyres of those were also replaced. They had decent tread marks but were quite dry and were dragging.

So if I could afford it, I will change tyres after every 30,000-35,000 km or 6 years which ever comes earlier.
vasudeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 14:07   #231

I have a Polo that has 45000 km + on the ODO. Most of the ride has been city drives and three of my Apollo are in decent shape. On checking the roadside stall, one tyre ( which by rotation is at the front left ) had recently been diagnosed with 7 punctures. Probably a mistake from my end to keep driving without taking adequate care, when the first hole reduced the car pressure.

I wanted to ask the forum if I should replace two tyres and if the Apollo stock types which I had all these year are good enough or should i replace two tyres now and follow up replacing the balance two later on. Also wanted to get advises on what should be done with the old tyres - is there any resale value for the old tyres ?
Old 7th December 2021, 15:48   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Abhisek View Post
is there any resale value for the old tyres ?
After getting a new set of tyres, I was unable to find anyone to buy the old tyres. Tried retreaders, nearby puncture shops, scrap collectors. Looked up some DIY projects using old tyres, but nothing materialized. Just discarded them eventually.

Heard that some tyre shops do arrange for old tyres to be bought back at nominal rates, when one buys new tyres.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 20:47   #233
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
After getting a new set of tyres, I was unable to find anyone to buy the old tyres. Tried retreaders, nearby puncture shops, scrap collectors. Looked up some DIY projects using old tyres, but nothing materialized. Just discarded them eventually.

Heard that some tyre shops do arrange for old tyres to be bought back at nominal rates, when one buys new tyres.
Almost all tyre shops take back the old tyres. They would pay you anywhere between 0 and 300 per tyre depending on the remaining tread.

I changed my tyres today. I was paid 200 per tyre for the 45K run Goodyears.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 09:17   #234
BHPian

Best time to change tires is on day 1- straight from showroom. the OE tires are mostly poor quality. If you exchange with your odo reading below 100 kms, you can get 90% of MRP of OE tire. Idea would be to find out a dealer who is willing to process the exchange the OE tire.

After that, follow up tire changes would depend on tire life. I usually change between 40-50k.
Old 17th March 2022, 19:47   #235
BHPian

Hello guys,
My GLC220D tyres have done 30k km and it looks like they are getting worn out. Can anyone advice me looking at the pictures posted of my tyres how much more meaningful kilometers will this go before a replacement is needed?
Tyre size is 235/55/R19
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-20220317_163409.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-20220317_163147.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-20220317_163136.jpg  

Old 18th March 2022, 02:13   #236
BHPian

According to international tyre manufacturers the world over, tread depths at Tyre Wear Indicator TWI level at tread depth of 1.6 mm indicates tyre replacement time.

Your tread depth is higher than that.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 12:39   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Best time to change tires is on day 1- straight from showroom. the OE tires are mostly poor quality. If you exchange with your odo reading below 100 kms, you can get 90% of MRP of OE tire. Idea would be to find out a dealer who is willing to process the exchange the OE tire.

After that, follow up tire changes would depend on tire life. I usually change between 40-50k.
Not necessary.

Depends on what the stock tyres are. If they are good enough for how you intend to drive the car, there is no hard and fast rule to change them on day 1.
Old 18th March 2022, 14:32   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
Hello guys,
My GLC220D tyres have done 30k km and it looks like they are getting worn out. Can anyone advice me looking at the pictures posted of my tyres how much more meaningful kilometers will this go before a replacement is needed?
Tyre size is 235/55/R19
Thanks in advance
Next time it rains see if the steering feels confident , by the looks of it they wont handle the monsoon rains well. We do see good amount of standing water on our highways during the rain and that is always a risk.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 15:34   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Best time to change tires is on day 1- straight from showroom. the OE tires are mostly poor quality.
Strongly disagree.
My first car: the stock Apollo tyres lasted more than 45k km over 5 years.
My second car: the stock JK Vectra tyres lasted more than 60k km over 6 years.
My bike came with TVS tyres that lasted more than 40k km.
All of these tyres gave trouble-free performance.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 19:12   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Next time it rains see if the steering feels confident , by the looks of it they wont handle the monsoon rains well. We do see good amount of standing water on our highways during the rain and that is always a risk.
Thanks for the input. Rains are not expected for another 3 months in the south now. I wanted to run another 5k km before I replace this and tyre gurus can reccomend. Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks