Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2019, 20:33   #166
BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I have been using Ultramile UM551 tyres since 2016. My size is 205/60 R16.
Can you tell me from which shop did you get the tyres fitted in Pune?
Old 7th October 2019, 10:25   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Can you tell me from which shop did you get the tyres fitted in Pune?
Go to a nearby tyre shop and tell them that you want these tyres. They will order for you.

If a nearest shop refuses, you can call the Ultramile representative in your city. Contact details of the representatives are available on their website. Based on your area, he will suggest a suitable shop.

https://www.ultramile.in/contact.php

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 7th October 2019 at 10:27.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 18:22   #168
BHPian

Would like to know if there's atleast 5k kms of life left on this Tyre realistically?

Linea Diesel, Apollo Alnac 4.5 years and 50k run so far. Admit, there's uneven wear on one side which was due to improper alignment around 30k kms ago which has now been fixed for good.

Do not want unexpected breakdowns or Tyre bursts. Rest of the tyres ( barring the Stepney) are good for another 10k except this. Should I change this 1 Tyre alone now or wait another 5k and change all 4 at once?

I do 100, 110 kmph every other day when traffic permits; courtesy Eastern Express Highway and Eastern Freeway.

Look forward to your recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20200725_180837.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20200725_180444.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20200725_180459.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20200725_180831.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20200725_180453.jpg  

Last edited by bharatbits : 25th July 2020 at 18:24.
Old 25th July 2020, 18:35   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Would like to know if there's atleast 5k kms of life left on this Tyre realistically?

I do 100, 110 kmph every other day when traffic permits; courtesy Eastern Express Highway and Eastern Freeway.

Look forward to your recommendations.
When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20200725_183027.jpg

The tires have hit the Tire Wear Indicator. Please change the tires immediately since you regularly do 100 kmph. Simply not worth playing around.

Ideally you should change the tires before it touches the Tire Wear Indicator or TWI.

Also check your alignment and other suspension components. If it's bad, your new tires will wear out quickly.
Turbohead is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 18:41   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Would like to know if there are at least 5k kms of life left on this Tyre realistically?
Agree with TurboHead.

First, get the tyre wear issue sorted out after that get the tyres changed. You'd not want those new tyres to wear unevenly.

But whatever it is, get three jobs done ASAP. Those tyres may be good for small errands in the city but for a car that does 100kmph, strict no . Simply not worth risking your life for those 5,000 kms extra mileage on those tyres.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 18:57   #171
BHPian

The misalignment issue existed between 15k to 20k odo when Fiat ASS couldn't diagnose or rectify the left pull. After trying so many things at so many places in that 15k to 20k odo window finally found a very competent guy who aligned it really well and since then the car drives straight like a arrow. I do rotation, WA, WB every 5k.

Noted. I'll get the tyres changed right away. No point holding leaves after hands burn.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 18:57   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rest of the tyres ( barring the Stepney) are good for another 10k except this.
As pointed out above, this tyre has already hit tread wear mark. If you have the same size spare, use it till all other tyres are due for replacement. Move it back to the boot when you get a fresh set of 4.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 19:47   #173
BHPian

Quote:
The misalignment issue existed between 15k to 20k odo when Fiat ASS couldn't diagnose or rectify the left pull. After trying so many things at so many places in that 15k to 20k odo window finally found a very competent guy who aligned it really well and since then the car drives straight like a arrow. I do rotation, WA, WB every 5k.

Noted. I'll get the tyres changed right away. No point holding leaves after hands burn.
Do let us know what tyres you got!
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 20:24   #174
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs.

Ordered 4 of these Goodyear Duraplus on Amazon. Delivery in 5 days. Waiting. Hoping to keep the speeds limited until then.

So, the stock Apollo's lasted 50297 kms on my Linea in 3 years 8 months of usage. The tyres were almost 11 months old when I bought the car. The Stepney was 165 section Goodyear which I promptly exchanged with another 175 section Goodyear within 2 months of purchase so I can rotate all 5 tires equally.
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-screenshot_20200725203636949_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Last edited by bharatbits : 25th July 2020 at 20:37.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 20:38   #175
BHPian

As Turbohead pointed out, the Tyre Wear indicator is the baseline. Out here, the legal minimum is 1.6mm of depth of tread, which I believe is the same as the height of the wear indicator.

What's more, studies have been conducted to prove that wet weather stopping distances are too large for anything less than 3 mm thickness
Jeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 19:21   #176
BHPian

Hi Members,

We have a 2010 Innova 2.5 G driven just for 16k kms (mostly highway runs) till now and is still on the tires came from factory (205/65R15 Bridgestone B390 on steel wheels).

Now, the general practice says that we should have already changed the tires some 5 years back and its already too late, but now given the amount of driving, in the midst of pandemic, we doubt any highway drives, and it might be limited to very short city drives, so does it make sense to move to new tires?

If yes, what would be the options both in VFM and the best tires available for the Innova 15 inchers? My preference is a very comfortable and silent ride. Sharing some close up of the tires taken recently.
Attached Thumbnails
When is the right time to change tyres?-1.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-2.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-3.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-4.jpg  

When is the right time to change tyres?-5.jpg  

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 3rd October 2020 at 19:25.
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:38   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Hi Members,

We have a 2010 Innova 2.5 G driven just for 16k kms (mostly highway runs) till now and is still on the tires came from factory (205/65R15 Bridgestone B390 on steel wheels).

Now, the general practice says that we should have already changed the tires some 5 years back and its already too late, but now given the amount of driving, in the midst of pandemic, we doubt any highway drives, and it might be limited to very short city drives, so does it make sense to move to new tires?

If yes, what would be the options both in VFM and the best tires available for the Innova 15 inchers? My preference is a very comfortable and silent ride. Sharing some close up of the tires taken recently.
Please change the tyres immediately. The condition doesn’t look good based on the pictures.Irrespective of how they look, 10 years is too long a time.

I would suggest Michelin XM2 or XM2+ as both are available in your case. Mrf, Continental and Apollo all have competent tyres now. Comfort, silent ride and durability is good in all these brands.
However Michelin although slightly pricier, provides better overall experience in my opinion.

I have seen some knowledgeable tyre stores suggest running on Michelin’s for more than 5 years provided the usage is low, in city driving conditions as long as the tyre health is fine. Same guys don’t seem so confident with other brands for extended usage.
greendream is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 20:49   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Please do not drive the vehicle further without replacing the tyres. The tyres are really in a bad shape.
With an experience of working in tyre industry for 7 years (in Manufacturing), I would urge you to replace it NOW.

Tyres are one of the most important factors in safety aspect. Do not compromise on safety. As a thumb rule 5 years / 50K KMs is the tyre replacement threshold. In practical scenario, this varies based on many other factors.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd October 2020 at 21:33. Reason: Typo fixed.
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 21:14   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Please change those tyres right away, I have changed 3 year old tyres that developed cracks near the tread and sidewall just like your tyres It's not worth the risk as the life of the driver and any passengers depends on those tyres. Also, tyres should be changed after 7 years regardless of the mileage, this is advice from Michelin. Speaking of which my car is also due for new tyres since the last change was in 2013.

I'd suggest Michelin XM2 and Primacy 4ST, Bridgestone Turanza and Continental CPC. There are others too. If in Bangalore go to Madhus which is owned by DBHPian Nikhilb2008. As a pro in this field he'll be able to guide you well.

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd October 2020 at 21:16.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 23:05   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing some close up of the tires taken recently.
Tyre in the second last picture looks fine, rest of them are toast.

I agree with others that these are not fit for the highways. But with such low usage + low probability of highway drives in this pandemic situation, I don't see the need for immediate replacement unless this is a daily-driven car.

Just as an example there's no harm in using the car in this condition for running errands or grocery shopping. For anything more important, you may go ahead with replacement depending on your risk appetite. Let us know what you decide.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks