Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2022, 12:45   #256
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Considering our very harsh Indian climatic and operating conditions I would literally halve this number. Absolute max is 5 years, no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
FYI, 10 years is the absolute maximum for any passenger car tyres, and it needs to be replaced after that period regardless of the remaining tread depth. Linking a blog post by Michelin to this.[/b]
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 09:07   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Considering our very harsh Indian climatic and operating conditions I would literally halve this number. Absolute max is 5 years, no more.
I support your thoughts. My ertiga has clocked 54K in almost 6 years. I was happy to see the tyres in good condition until on last Saturday. The car is usually parked in a dark place either in my apartment or office parking. Somehow I took a close look at all tyres yesterday in bright light and whoa... all tyres had thin cuts on the road contact surface. I never realized it since ride was smooth and comfortable all the time. I made my mind and got 4 tyres replaced to same stock size yesterday since am traveling to native next month and being a coastal guy, need to cross ghat sections in heavy rains. Went for Continental UC6 known for excellent wet grip.
Old 19th July 2022, 19:45   #258
BHPian

Query on tyres. I need to change only 1 tyre of my car.

Can I have one wheel on Bridgestone and another one from different brand? Any issue because of thread pattern which could be different due to diff brands?
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 09:32   #259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Can I have one wheel on Bridgestone and another one from different brand? Any issue because of thread pattern which could be different due to diff brands?
There may not be any issues for a normal commuter car in normal daily driving conditions if you have two brands of tyre mounted. If it is a performance car, then for best results the tread pattern and tyre type need to be exactly matched.
However, as per me, in the interests of symmetry, even tread wear and so on, it would be much better to have all tyres evenly matched and if a change is happening, to make sure the change happens evenly across all 4 tyres or worst case if there is a financial or other constraint, atleast 2 at a time. I wouldnt want the left and right side tyres to be unevenly matched.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 05:16   #260
BHPian

Quote:

Sure you can.

The so-called issue of differing thread pattern (if both are of UHP/symmetric/assymetric etc) is academic imho.

The dynamics of all 4 tyres during a specific action of turning/braking/accelerating etc on dry/wet days etc are different ALL the time.

Having said that, it doesn't make real life common sense when one is installing tyre pairs in 2 or 4 simultaneously having differing brands/thread patterns among them for no apparent reasons or logics.
zeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:39   #261
Senior - BHPian

It can vary from car to car usage to usage. My Nano needed replacement at 40k and the ride quality was immediately transformed. Baleno tyres are at 42k and i think i will change them before next monsoon whatever the mileage it covers.

I believe we should not wait for tyres to get old and should change them before they stop performing normally. It is the most important piece of our vehicle and i wouldn't care if i spend extra money on it.

For two wheelers its better to replace tyres early than having a fall/crash and spend that money on doctor.
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:09   #262
BHPian

Quote:

No you should not change only one tyre ever. 2 tyres must be changed so that the components remain aligned. Uneven worn tyres put a stress on mechanical components like shockers, axles and steering. Also you will never get your alignments rights, if you put it in front. In rear unless you have independent shockers, your car will feel weird on turns with one side bouncing more than the other. One can also feel some enhnaced vibrations when the treads are mismatched.

Put the 2 new ones in front and old ones at rear, if it is a FWD and the rear two tyres if the vehicle is a RWD. Now if you are buying 2 new ones then it doesn't make sense to buy 2 different tread tyres. The two tyres may grip differently on road surfaces which can lead to loss of control, especially in braking and cornering. If there is some constraint and the car runs majorly on highways it would be wise to go for 2 cheaper tyres than 1 costly one.

Last edited by Sran : 22nd July 2022 at 11:19. Reason: Added a sentence
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:07   #263
BHPian

When is the right time to change tyres?-img_20220726_120115.jpg

Had a bad jolt a few days ago due to a pothole not visible due to rains and maybe that is the culprit for causing this. I was shocked to see this big a piece of rubber missing from the tyre. Considering the tyres are mid 2017 and run about 45k, this calls for a change of all 4, specially since I have upcoming highway trips
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 15:28   #264
BANNED

From what I read on your post, 51K km its high time you change them. The tyres have lived their lives and kept you safe. City drive or highway adventure, I would highly suggest don't push it for sure. Be safe that is utmost.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2022 at 16:06. Reason: Please ensure you use a space after a period.
Old 20th August 2022, 19:16   #265
Senior - BHPian

My Luck has been really bad! - 3 days back we had a flat, when I took out the spare tyre I was greeted with this date staring at me.

Apologize for the bad pic but my hands and feet were trembling after seeing this date.

When is the right time to change tyres?-old.jpg

OCT 2005!! - 17 years old!

Left the car on the spot, took the flat tyre to a repair shop and got the puncture fixed. At the same time ordered a new replacement from Tyremarket.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 00:41   #266
BHPian

My tyres are almost 5 years old on my TUV300. Planning a road trip of about 800km starting this Saturday. I suppose makes sense to change them? I see depth between 3-4mm of tread.
I wanted a soft tyre and would like suggestion if I should pick Yokohama or Continental. My spare is a Michelin but they have stopped producing 215/75 R15. Please recommend if Conti is the right option or if there are other better options. Tyresnmore shows options of Goodyear as well.
When is the right time to change tyres?-20220928_105401.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-20220928_105407.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-20220928_105424.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-20220928_105451.jpg
Old 29th September 2022, 07:35   #267
BANNED

[quote=Sumer;5367698 I was shocked to see this big a piece of rubber missing from the tyre. Considering the tyres are mid 2017 and run about 45k, this calls for a change of all 4, specially since I have upcoming highway trips[/QUOTE]

Yes absolutely 100%. The best thing you can do for yourself in this case is to change all the 5 tyres immediately to nice new ones. In any case they are all more than 5 years old. It’s definitely the right time to switch to new ones. Your car and your passengers will bless you abundantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
My Luck has been really bad! - 3 days back we had a flat, when I took out the spare tyre I was greeted with this date staring at me.

Apologize for the bad pic but my hands and feet were trembling after seeing this date.

OCT 2005!! - 17 years old!

Left the car on the spot, took the flat tyre to a repair shop and got the puncture fixed. At the same time ordered a new replacement from Tyremarket.
This is absolutely frightening. As a member on this forum, you ought to definitely take a lot more interest in the condition of your tyres. Ideally you must change them every 4-5 years. The rubber compound does get hardened and this affects braking and traction and makes the tyre puncture prone too. If I were you I would change all the 5 tyres. Taking shortcuts on this, is the perfect recipe for a lot of misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My tyres are almost 5 years old on my TUV300. Planning a road trip of about 800km starting this Saturday. I suppose makes sense to change them? I see depth between 3-4mm of tread.
I wanted a soft tyre and would like suggestion if I should pick Yokohama or Continental. My spare is a Michelin but they have stopped producing 215/75 R15. Please recommend if Conti is the right option or if there are other better options. Tyresnmore shows options of Goodyear as well.
[]
Going by the pictures you have posted, I would most certainly immediately change all the tyres in this vehicle. 4-5 years is the maximum you should use tyres, in our conditions. Ideally I would change all 5 tyres and from now on, rotate them, balance them and align them every 5000 kms. Both Yokohama and Continental tyres are made in India nowadays. As per my estimation, you would be fine with either brand, even though there is a lot more written about Yokohama since they have simply been around in India for longer.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 07:55   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes absolutely 100%. The best thing you can do for yourself in this case is to change all the 5 tyres immediately to nice new ones. In any case they are all more than 5 years old. It’s definitely the right time to switch to new ones. Your car and your passengers will bless you abundantly.
Thanks. Changed to a det of Goodyear Wrangler Triplemax. Apart from the obvious safety benefits, the ride is a bit softer and road noise a bit less. Driven 1000km on these.
Old 29th September 2022, 07:56   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Buy from a reputed tyre dealer in your area, you can ask them for their recommendations as well. Yokohama Geolandar and Bridgestore Duelers will work well. However there are supply constraints these days and some of them are not available, for instance the continental lx series is unavailable in Bangalore.
Old 19th December 2022, 09:34   #270
BHPian

Dear Tyre gurus

Following are the pics of my stock 2014 Wagon R tyres (Apollo Amazer 155/65 R14).

My car is seldom used post 2019 due to lockdowns and now since my employer has granted permanent Work From Home, the usual home-to-office daily routine no longer exists. It only does an occasional within-city trips.

However, I am planning for a 700 km trip (roundtrip, God-willing) and I feel its time to change the tyres. But I have been getting conflicting opinions-
1. The tyre guy near our house (good reviews) says the front tyres can be retained and moved to back and fit new ones on the front
2. An old driver in our building says these tyres could easily be used for another 2-3k kms before swapping. However I am disinclined to accept his opinion as he showed the tyres of his car (Qualis) and they were almost bald.

I would rather go for one of these 2 options-
1. Either swap everything as they've done about 39k kms and have completed 8 years now
OR
2. Take the opinion of the tyre-wala who suggested changing only 2 of them.

Kindly advise.

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20221218154837.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20221218154909.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20221218154928.jpg

When is the right time to change tyres?-img20221218154939.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks