Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2024, 15:17   #346
BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervoice View Post
2) Couple of months back, On family trip on Chennai Trichy highway, I had a tyre malfunction with the top rubber layer coming out thereby making tyre useless.

Please suggest if athe tyres need to be replaced now. Pictures attached pls.
If I were you, I will feel lucky to be alive.

Change all these tyres immediately. You have surpassed the tyre life by ages and when one of them gave-in in such an unconventional way, you should have replaced all four in the same trip.

I had similar issue when I was travelling on old tyres from Bangalore to Ooty. One of them developed a bulge, I replaced it with the spare. I replaced all together later from a good tyre shop. Of course, I missed the price that I would have got had I planned it, but I cannot continue on good appearing tyres when one of them bulged, as all these tyres were exposed to similar conditions and it will be a matter of time when others gave-in.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 17:58   #347

Thanks, Very true... Unfortunately we cannot extract the last bit of life out of tyres without compromising the safety or comfort...Good good insights out of these suggestions.

That time I got Sturdo for Rs 5850.
innervoice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 07:17   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innervoice View Post
Thanks, Very true... Unfortunately we cannot extract the last bit of life out of tyres without compromising the safety or comfort.
We can but for that our running needs to be high enough.
The issue we suffer is due to rubber degradation owing to age. Kms don't matter that much. Taxi drivers easily get 70-80k kms out of each pair of tyres and IIRC there was a DZire/Carens whose driver said that he changes at 100k kms typically. His 75k kms run tyres looked much better than the 30k kms run on our car.
That's because his tyres were 1.5 years old and mine were about 5 years old.
That's the issue we face with our lower running cars and hence I stay away from long life tyres. Why should I pay more to get more heartache at the time of replacement due to age looking at half the tread left

IMO we should use our situation to try out different tyre compounds and construction to enrich our experience rather than fret over "there is still a lot of tread left".

Last edited by shancz : 20th February 2024 at 07:17. Reason: m typos
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 06:14   #349

Folks,

I have a 2018 Hyundai creata diesel sx(o) variant. Done 60k kilometers. I want to check on the following:
(a) what is the average kilometers after which a tyre replacement is recommended?
(b) car is running on the factory spec tyres:215/60/R17 by Bridgestone (Dueler). Are these still the best tires for the 2018 creta, or is there something better recommended now? Thanks.
Old 13th March 2024, 22:52   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR268 View Post
(a) what is the average kilometers after which a tyre replacement is recommended?
It's recommended to get tyres changed after 5 years regardless of how many kilometres have been driven on them because they tend to get hard and start to dry rot which can create cracks in tyres.

Quote:
(b) car is running on the factory spec tyres:215/60/R17 by Bridgestone (Dueler). Are these still the best tires for the 2018 creta, or is there something better recommended now?
There are better tyres available in this size, Michelin P4ST & Continental UC6 are the best options available for this size.
NA-driver is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks