Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 21:12   #1
BANNED

Are alloy wheels prone to damage & can't be repaired?

I would like to have Alloy wheels with tubeless tyres for Maruti800 '97 model which has done about 62k kms. when i spoke to trye/wheels dealer he says- i have alloys but why you go for alloy.when you travel in bad roads ( meaning lots of ups & down with pits,etc..) alloy wheels are prone to damage & you cant even repair. you have to replace. so go for NEW RIMS ( Non alloy Brand- wheels india forMaruti800) with Tubeless.
so how much this Logic ( !) holds good. TIA

Last edited by shapath : 30th August 2007 at 21:17. Reason: SPELLLING error - allow instead of ALLOY
Old 30th August 2007, 21:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Am not sure of the durability of Alloy wheels on bad pot-holed roads, but if it gets damaged, the Alloy wheel needs to be replaced, unlike steel rims which can be repaired.
Old 30th August 2007, 22:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

shapath: We have many satisfied alloy wheeled car owners here in the forum (Me not included- No finance yet).

Alloy wheels do break, but that happens only on hard impacts. Alloys don't bend like steel wheels though!
Old 30th August 2007, 22:19   #4
BHPian

yes, alloy wheels can get damaged if you hit a pothole at high speed and the impact is very bad. however, that's a very rare occurence despite our roads that rival the lunar landscape.

but once damaged, there's nothing else to do but throw it away and get yourself another set.
Old 30th August 2007, 22:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Alloy wheels are stronger and far lighter than steel rims and are able to withstand the same stresses better. Where a steel wheel can get bent an alloy wheel wont. If the impact is higher than the alloy wheel is designed for, it breaks. Thats the only caveat with alloy wheels.
Old 30th August 2007, 22:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Alloy wheels are stronger and far lighter than steel rims and are able to withstand the same stresses better. Where a steel wheel can get bent an alloy wheel wont. If the impact is higher than the alloy wheel is designed for, it breaks. Thats the only caveat with alloy wheels.
Yes alloys can withstand impacts to greater level than steel wheels ...

y not to look at the pros of the alloy wheels also ... more over i don't think anyone will subject their car to greater abuse in the pot holed roads especially to the level in which the alloys get damaged...until its coming all of a sudden in the freeway but nobody can help in such a case
Old 31st August 2007, 11:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
I would like to have Alloy wheels with tubeless tyres for Maruti800 '97 model which has done about 62k kms. when i spoke to trye/wheels dealer he says- i have alloys but why you go for alloy.when you travel in bad roads ( meaning lots of ups & down with pits,etc..) alloy wheels are prone to damage & you cant even repair. you have to replace. so go for NEW RIMS ( Non alloy Brand- wheels india forMaruti800) with Tubeless.
so how much this Logic ( !) holds good. TIA
If this was true, there would be no alloy wheels in india. I think the dealer has sized you up & said it is probably not good vfm for you. It is your money & your choice in the end.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

yes this is true that once the Alloys get damaged they cant be repaired which unlike normal rims

but its very rare sceanrio as Esteem_lover pointed.

just drive slow,safe and carefully over the potholes and u will be all set
Old 31st August 2007, 11:28   #9
BHPian

I have read that alloy wheels are 5~6 times "stronger". The comparison strength is the yield strength necessary to permanently damage the wheels. [Example: If 1kgf can snap the edge of a regular sheet rim, it typically takes 5kgf to snap the edge of an alloy rim].

Of course, like most of you point out, alloys are lighter. This results in lower unsprung mass (mass on the lower side of the suspension). This results in quicker suspension response - translating a little bit to better handling. The larger the mass difference - the lower the mass of alloy wheels than the steel rims - the better is the handling. This is the secret to high end cars using alloy wheels to give better handling.

This comparison depends on the material of the alloy. There is the Magnesium alloy which is much lighter and much stronger. But, the Mag-Alloys are expensive. And the Aluminum alloy wheels (more commonly available and less expensive) may not offer the same strength Vs mass advantage as the Mag-alloys.

Coming to our roads and potholes, the rim (be it alloy or steel) would take the impact only when the tire pressure is insufficient. Also, when the tire sidewall profile is lesser, there is a higher chance of tire compression on high speed impacts resulting in direct impact on the rims. To avoid this, use the same rim diameter (12 inches for M800) and the same tire size (though tubeless). If you wish to upsize the tire width, compensate the profile accordingly.

Of course, if we run into a 5 inch step on the road at 100kmph, the tires and their sidewall stiffness are not going help, let alone the correct pressure we may maintain.
GSHA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 11:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

One need not be overly cautious. On normal potholes alloys will do just fine. It is very high speed driving on large potholes will damage the Alloy wheels.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Alloy wheels are far more durable than the normal rims we have, they do get bent on very hard impacts and specially with low profile tyres, but alloy wheels can be repaired,
Any cracks or severe deformation from a accident cannot be fixed, but bends can be done, there are few guys in Bangalore who fix bends on alloy wheels, I have got 3 bends removed from my rims till date and they are running fine with tubeless rubber till date.
I had once got 6 bends fixed on a set of 17" aftermarket rims on a Skoda Laura.
blueraven316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2007, 12:00   #12
BHPian

Can you let us know where you got it done in BLR so that it can be useful to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Alloy wheels are far more durable than the normal rims we have, they do get bent on very hard impacts and specially with low profile tyres, but alloy wheels can be repaired,
Any cracks or severe deformation from a accident cannot be fixed, but bends can be done, there are few guys in Bangalore who fix bends on alloy wheels, I have got 3 bends removed from my rims till date and they are running fine with tubeless rubber till date.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Guys,

ALLOYS are the way forward. Many Indian car maker use normal rims just to sustain cost and offer alloys as either at extra cost or on the top end cars. Rims are primitive.

No offense, i have got alloys for my car recently.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th October 2010 at 07:55.
Old 31st August 2007, 12:30   #14
BANNED

blueraven316..how your rims got damaged

thanks for the response. you say alloys donot get bent on very hard impacts .then what sort of situation caused few bends to even 6 bends on your rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Old 31st August 2007, 13:47   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have been using alloys since over a decade in most of my cars (combined 1,000,000+ kms) and have ended up with only two damaged pieces. One was my fault, and the other was the road.

Thats a pretty good record for a million kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks