Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2006, 05:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Jesal,

Painting and electroplating (chrome) are two very different processes.

I would not suggest trying to get your alloys chromed yourself, painting is a better option.
Two reasons -
Firstly, the quality of chrome commonly found in India is not great. Seems like a vague comment, but you know how it is.
Secondly, finding someone who does "hard chroming" is difficult. (Thicker layer of chrome)

So given the above, chances are that your shiny new alloys will end up faded very soon, and some time later the layer of chrome will start peeling...

However, if you are hellbent on it, im not saying its not possible, just that it will be difficut to get it done / doesnt make sense.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2006, 15:48   #17
BHPian

Its cheaper and better to get new chrome wheels then to get them done. Believe me i get chroming done and good finish is either not available or so expensive that you are better off buying a new set. Personally i lilke neo's chromes as they come with a years guarantee and even after 7 years in my lancer they are still the same. Now thats quality chroming. I woouldn't otherwise go in for neo wheels.
Old 25th January 2006, 19:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

alloys cannot be chromed instead it is plated with zinc as alloy wheels are made up of aluminium and magnesium.. chrome can be only done on steel wheels
Old 26th January 2006, 18:00   #19
BHPian

If u r really interested in getting ur alloys chromed... i can get it done thru a special paint... I can get the paint for you all u need to do is get it painted in some decent paint shop....
Yes its an imported paint...
Pm me if interested....
Regards
Neo
Old 27th January 2006, 15:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir
alloys cannot be chromed instead it is plated with zinc as alloy wheels are made up of aluminium and magnesium.. chrome can be only done on steel wheels
im surprised at your statement. Please check the 100's of comapnys offereing chromed alloy wheels?! Now days its even possible to chrome different types of plastics.......

Last edited by Beeman : 27th January 2006 at 15:24.
Old 28th January 2006, 02:52   #21

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman
im surprised at your statement. Please check the 100's of comapnys offereing chromed alloy wheels?! Now days its even possible to chrome different types of plastics.......
i know,saw chromed wheelcaps on an accent ,felt really bad.....the only saving grace was the tchnical superiorty that the alloys offer
Old 28th January 2006, 23:20   #22
BHPian

How well will the paint take to the wheel?
I wanna get my set of wheels painted matte black, in a paint booth, will the paint chip easy?
Old 30th January 2006, 03:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
I wanna get my set of wheels painted matte black, in a paint booth, will the paint chip easy?
I believe a certain Monkey on this forum is trying to do the same.

I always thought that alloys had a special type of painting procedure? (powder coating or something hardcore like that yknow?), but the monkey tells me that all alloys are painted....maybe it is true

cya
R
Old 30th January 2006, 10:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
I believe a certain Monkey on this forum is trying to do the same.

I always thought that alloys had a special type of painting procedure? (powder coating or something hardcore like that yknow?), but the monkey tells me that all alloys are painted....maybe it is true

cya
R
i doubt if they are powder coated too. However they must have been a spray paint process. Also, they have much more sophistcated plants than your normal garage does in india, so i think our finishing will always be a little suspect in that regard.
Old 31st January 2006, 17:20   #25
BHPian

Alloy wheel painting procedure...

Before painting any aluminium/alloy surface, a special primer(aluminium primer)for aluminium should be applied, I cant remember the exact name. Then paint normally.
Old 27th February 2006, 18:32   #26
BHPian

hey guys, does anyone know where alloys can be polished in Delhi- Mine alos have aged since they were OEM, Got Bridgestone OEM changed at 50 K, Now running on Bridgestone G3 Tubeless...
Any Pictures of what the result was like after getting alloy's polished..!
Old 9th March 2006, 13:36   #27
BHPian

where did everyone go........Can someone help me out on restoration of alloys's ^^^ .....Is there some Polish or spray also that can be used to remove the water deposits around the wheel and brake dust...!
Old 9th March 2006, 19:06   #28
Team-BHP Support

Oh! So it is not a new thread... Wolfy, since you brought it alive why do not you PM GTO and ask him whether he got it done ultimately and how good were the results. If required talk to V12 and see if he knows someone in Delhi.
Old 10th March 2006, 05:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
.....Is there some Polish or spray also that can be used to remove the water deposits around the wheel and brake dust...!
YES! Read the Bible! (For All Car Lovers - Keeping Your Car Clean)

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th May 2009 at 13:39.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2006, 11:43   #30

Alloy refinishing/ powder coating

All:

I've been looking for a set of black alloys for my Skoda in Bangalore and so far all I've seen is crap.

Does anyone know where I could get a set of standard metallic or brush finish wheels powder coated black? Btw, I'm open to going outside Bangalore as well and I would prefer someone that has experience with auto grade finishes.

I'm told that a black powder coat + teflon coating on top will be pretty durable whereas a paint job will not cut it. Any comments?

I'm thinking of a set of Lenso alloys in 16" or 17", powder coated a glossy black to complete my car. Help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kroner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks