Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 18:31   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Can we achieve matt black finish with powder coating.
From where can i get the powder coating done?
Yes, matt black can be easily achieved with powder coating. As far as sources are concerned I am sure there must be a few in Chandigarh.
Old 30th January 2010, 23:49   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Powder coating is stronger and more durable.
Only if done at a proper paint-booth or at the factory or else it would look horrible !
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:56   #138
BHPian

i have been having the silver-hyper silver combo alloy for past year and was thinking for adding a little sporty look to it.need your suggestions and photoshop pics even more welcome.
the car is a fiesta paprika red.
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-23032010357.jpg  

Old 13th March 2011, 22:03   #139
BHPian

Re: Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming

Is there any way to refinish the mirror lip on these alloys? They have minor scratches all round that make me feel sad whenever I wash them. A crazy washer weilding a wirebrush at one of the local service stations gifted them to me.

Old 24th June 2011, 07:58   #140
BHPian

Anyone who can help my paint my alloys into red (they are silver now) at navi mumbai area ?

please lend some recommedations guys
Old 25th July 2011, 00:30   #141
BHPian

Buffing can give your rims a new life. I`m so happy after the job.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2442232

Last edited by k_shanz : 25th July 2011 at 00:31.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:54   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Is there any way to refinish the mirror lip on these alloys? They have minor scratches all round that make me feel sad whenever I wash them. A crazy washer weilding a wirebrush at one of the local service stations gifted them to me.
Not sure you ever got a reply but it's a good question and I have a couple options for you. The easiest is to go get a bottle of Brasso. Prepare to work up a sweat. Rubbing WHILE you applying the brasso works better than applying, letting it dry and the rubbing off.

If the scratches are deep go to a paint shop and ask them for 'polishing compound'...NOT rubbing compound. It's basically a polish with a very fine grit that wears down the scratches.

The third is to power buff and I haven't seen one here in India but it basically a buff pad attached to a high speed drill. The rpms do all the work and you can really get a good shine that way.

I've seen some guys try to paint a clear coat over polished metal. In my experience it's just like all the chrome paints ...it'll look great for 2 months then it'll chip or go dull or get discolored. The BEST thing you can do for freshly polished metal is to prevent air and water from getting to it and nothing does better than a nice coat of wax. And not this watery bottled wax, I talking about old-school WAX. Again get ready to sweat in order to get a nice shine.

Ive had a lot of experience in this from my Alfa days when I was obsessed with polishing the aluminum cam covers. I would get a shine that rivaled chrome but it would never stay until I listened to a Harley guy who said he preserved his metal by waxing it. Carnauba wax works better than liquid but it is quite a work out applying and rubbing off.

I'm now in a fix over what to do with my padmini's worn out chrome...which I just now realized is chromed plastic. Anyone know if there's a way of rechroming plastic?? Don't mention chrome paint...I've lost confidence in that stuff long ago.

Last edited by bblost : 27th February 2012 at 15:40. Reason: removed image from quote box
Yankee Frankie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 11:37   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Frankie View Post
Not sure you ever got a reply but it's a good question and I have a couple options for you. The easiest is to go get a bottle of Brasso. Prepare to work up a sweat. Rubbing WHILE you applying the brasso works better than applying, letting it dry and the rubbing off.
Thanks for the reply Frankie. I searched around for Brasso but no one seemed to have it. Could you give me a lead as to where I can buy it in South India?

Last edited by manson : 18th October 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:08   #144
Senior - BHPian

Alloys re-painting to multiple shades

I currently have these alloys (in silver) on my civic.
Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-_dsc0118.jpg

And I want to have these shades of these original Audi alloys.
Name:  alloy_wheels_01.png
Views: 15530
Size:  172.9 KB

1. Is such repaint possible at very good precision? Because, I see that to achieve the above multi-shades, a lot of maskings is required and needs lot of attention to small details.
2. Whom should I approach - Pandit & Co. or AutoPsyche? Would they be able to do multi-shade repaint? (I know both can paint)
3. If it all possible, how long are the repaint gonna last?
4. And most importantly, how much approx. it is going to cost me?
5. What do you advise - go for the multi-shades repaint, or just do a single gun-metal or carbon black?

Last edited by iTNerd : 10th January 2013 at 14:11.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:43   #145
Senior - BHPian

Re: Alloys re-painting to multiple shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
1. Is such repaint possible at very good precision? Because, I see that to achieve the above multi-shades, a lot of maskings is required and needs lot of attention to small details.
2. Whom should I approach - Pandit & Co. or AutoPsyche? Would they be able to do multi-shade repaint? (I know both can paint)
5. What do you advise - go for the multi-shades repaint, or just do a single gun-metal or carbon black?
Yes it is possible to achieve this paint job. Cost can only be estimated by the people who will do the job. How long the paint lasts will depend on the quality of the work. Single shade will the silver combo will also look good.
Old 28th January 2013, 09:03   #146
BHPian

Re: Alloys re-painting to multiple shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I currently have these alloys (in silver) on my civic.
Attachment 1036270

And I want to have these shades of these original Audi alloys.
Attachment 1036271

Hi iTNerd, those are some really nice alloys you got there. Can you please share the brand and place you got them from?
Old 28th January 2013, 09:16   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

iTnerd,

Since your location indicates Bangalore, you can check out Sai Colorium (details under Bangalore section). Fellow moderator Jaggu had his Swift's alloys repainted there- satisfactorily, if I remember.
Old 17th February 2013, 13:11   #148
BHPian

People in chennai ! Check out this shop for Powder Coating http://www.indiamart.com/180degree-automotive/ .
Any Experiences ?
Old 30th April 2013, 12:11   #149
BHPian

Hey guys been a while since the last post so just wanted to know if anyone has fresh upto date info and rates on the same. I am in the process of making a few changes to my OHC and one of them is to get the rims painted / Powder coated gold! Putting up two pics of my car please let me know where in Bangalore i can get it done and for how much! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-547143_10151735314955173_1742909100_n.jpg  

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-560471_10151734150140173_1680610560_n.jpg  

Old 7th May 2013, 08:42   #150
BHPian

Painting vs Powder coating for Alloys

The 7 year old alloys on our Getz are now starting to look a little worse for wear with the finish chipping off in some places. Don't have the budget to get new alloys altogether, so was thinking of getting it painted/powder coated.

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-20130210-13.56.30.jpg

What are the advantages/disadvantages of both of the processes painting and powder coating.

Also, I am not very good at Photoshop so, could any PS experts use the below image to show how the alloys would look in different colours? That would be really helpful!

Alloy Refinishing - Painting / Powder-coating / Chroming-20130210-14.05.59-e.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks