Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 10:53   #91
BHPian

re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Hi KPS, Deepak, Both the Plymouth and the Chevy are in top shape, so even if your acceptance mail/letter comes months later, its no problem. However for those who have applied and are waiting , my advice? Do not delay , get the cars ready so that you are not running around last minute to finish work. I do find it a bit strange that no one has confirmed getting an acceptance from Cartier. The pre selected cars are being worked on 24/7. Karl, hope your Landmaster is also similarly being treated? Would love to see one of your restorations at Cartier.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:58   #92
Senior - BHPian

LOL...speaks volumes about the organisation standards........how cool it is to get your cars ready and wait forever to get an approval ! Or get accepted and not havve time to spruce up the car !
Old 20th September 2012, 12:59   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, newbie question : Will there also be a parade of all the vintage beauties? Its one thing to ogle at them standing in one place, but entirely another to see the cars moving majestically on everyday roads.

If yes, any information on the planned route?
Old 20th September 2012, 13:11   #94
BHPian

Very reliable source confirms that there will be a section for 2 wheeler's this time. Anybody can reconfirm that ?
Old 20th September 2012, 13:41   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, newbie question : Will there also be a parade ...................
There will be no parade. In the event of the car winning a prize, it may be driven up to the podium. That has been the format till now, no reason to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Very reliable source confirms that there will be a section for 2 wheeler's this time. Anybody can reconfirm that ?
Yes, there is a 2 wheeler section. It has been mentioned in the press release put up before also on this thread by Karl.
Funnily, Nitin Dossa has also spoken to people about the 2 wheeler section, asking about location of worthy bikes. This was at the last VCCCI rally.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 13:45   #96
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will there also be a parade of all the vintage beauties? Its one thing to ogle at them standing in one place, but entirely another to see the cars moving majestically on everyday roads.

If yes, any information on the planned route?
GTO now that's something I would love to see incorporated into the Cartier show. But sadly it's just a display and I suppose as mentioned earlier as its all about Cartier getting mileage I doubt if they'll ever want the focus to shift from the show venue where they invite their clientele to showcase a lifestyle event.

Pebble beach for quite some time now has incorporated a long drive and it's the most fascinating part of the event for both owners and spectators.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 14:24   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Yes, there is a 2 wheeler section. It has been mentioned in the press release put up before also on this thread by Karl.
Funnily, Nitin Dossa has also spoken to people about the 2 wheeler section, asking about location of worthy bikes. This was at the last VCCCI rally.

Cheers harit
Thanks Harit. It will be interesting to see how many bikes they would like to invite ? I also believe that the process of identifying bikes is already initiated. Would like to believe that the final invitee list would read something like this :
Reubin Solomon ( Gold Star), Sam Solomon ( Velocette ), Asher ( Velocette ), Mandhar Phadke ( Norton Domi/Indian Chief/BMW R69 ), Christy ( ? ), Dyanesh Samant ( Gold Star, Manx, BMW ?? ), Victor ( Zundapp ), Col Shashidhar ( TWN ), Harit ( ? ), Karl ( Tiger ), Anil Bhingade ( Tiger ), Doc ( Sunbeam/Square 4/Indian ) Nitin Dossa ( Triumph ). Could add a few more to make numbers ( I am told they are looking for 25 ). Have i missed anyone ?
dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 14:45   #98
BHPian

Since mercedes were rumoured to be associated with this event, I wonder if team BHP members who are also part of the mercedes club here, can enlighten us? Have their members been asked to send their cars? Any mercedes cars invited? or asked to apply?? In the last 18 months there was a sudden increase in the number of mercedes cars changing hands. Maybe chance of an appearance in Cartier was the catalyst?
Old 21st September 2012, 11:18   #99
BHPian

Tweety bird tells me that Cartier is making house calls for selection of cars and bikes, after which those who have applied using the E Mail route, will be considered. Anyone contacted as yet in person?? Others will just have to wait I guess.
Old 21st September 2012, 12:34   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrivardhan View Post
Sir, As I have applied for my RR, the acceptance depends on the Cartier Panel ..........
I believe this RR is likely to be selected as it has a Roadster style body. Will fit with the Cartier theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Fifteen days have passed since the last date for entries. Has anyone got a response? Karl, Harit, Shrivardhan, etc??
No, not heard anything as yet. Manvendra is supposed to be presently visiting Mumbai, but I don't expect to hear from him. Maybe after select selection process is over me may get a mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I am pretty sure there are two entry routes to the concours..... The other is the system of the curator inviting owners individually. ........for the really sought after cars Cartier continues to foot the bill for transportation too. ..........I am pretty certain all the main entries were finalised long time ago and cars are well on their way to being spruced up. I didn't receive any acknowledgement for the application .........!
Indeed there are. The system of the curator inviting owners individually is the buddy system and does not go by merit. The curator is also sprucing up cars for the event, anyone in Indore will tell you that some Mumbai cars are there as well. And transportation bills being footed is a known practice, again selectively applied. Many entries were finalised ages ago, and this gmail application seems to be a charade and then maybe refered to in case of a shortfall.
I am surprised that you did not receive a confirmation, I had sent 2 mails, the first did elicit a response, and the 2nd did not.

Quote:
......for those who have applied and are waiting , my advice? Do not delay, get the cars ready so that you are not running around last minute .....The pre selected cars are being worked on 24/7. Karl, hope your Landmaster is also similarly being treated? ....
Karl's car is an example of the problem. You tell him that his car is selected, he may drop everything and get her done. He has other projects/priorities in hand. So he could be in a dilema. And this is not fair behaviour for a supposed to be a reknown event of significance covered even by foreign media. What are preselected cars? Selected before what? Cartier through its curator is clearly playing favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
LOL...speaks volumes about the organisation standards........!
There apparently is no organisation at work, cars have been selected in Rajasthan, Mumbai is to be visited, only by the curator, so where is the organisation? Buddy system at work full steam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
.......:
Reubin Solomon ( Gold Star), Sam Solomon ( Velocette ), Asher ( Velocette ), Mandhar Phadke ( Norton Domi/Indian Chief/BMW R69 ), Christy ( ? ), Dyanesh Samant ( Gold Star, Manx, BMW ?? ), Victor ( Zundapp ), Col Shashidhar ( TWN ), Harit ( ? ), Karl ( Tiger ), Anil Bhingade ( Tiger ), Doc ( Sunbeam/Square 4/Indian ) Nitin Dossa ( Triumph ). Could add a few more to make numbers ( I am told they are looking for 25 ). Have i missed anyone ?
I have not applied for any bikes to be included. Lets see what gets selected. There are some better bikes around, but then you have to know them. The first thing to be done is to get all the bikes dated correctly, specially the early ones.

Quote:
Since Mercedes were rumoured to be associated with this event,........Any mercedes cars invited? or asked to apply?? In the last 18 months there was a sudden increase in the number of mercedes cars changing hands. Maybe chance of an appearance in Cartier was the catalyst?
None of us seems to be officially aware about Mercedes participation. Maybe it is going to be like the Jaguar association in the Delhi event. However, a number of Mercedes cars were looked at, when the curator visited Mumbai at the VCCCI rally to award a prize to the Rolls, he spent some time looking at the Mercedes cars. We are left to speculating as there is no mention of this in the communication put up earlier. Maybe this is a strictly private criteria. Mercedes are definitely selected, and yes, there has been some movement in ownerships.

Quote:
Tweety bird tells me that Cartier is making house calls for selection of cars and bikes, .........
Tweety bird is poking its nose everywhere, but then tweety bird is set off by these house calls themselves. Cartier is not making house calls, its the curator. And tweety bird is bad, leaks out much info.

So which cars have been confirmed to participate? This is speculative, blame tweety for wrong info.
Cadillac, 2 X Buick, XK120 Delhi, at least 3 X Mercedes, 3 X MG's Rajasthan, Studebaker, Chrysler, 2 X MG's, Hudson, Packard RR (Elisabeth's), Minerva, Mumbai, Bentley, Chrysler, Napier(X 2?) Hyderabad, Bentley, RR Kalahandi, Orissa, RR Kolkata, RR and Mercedes of Rajkot.
For display non participating 5 Pranlal cars, and RR, Bentley which are coming second time. Maybe the Delahaye of Jodhpur, and the Nizam's Rolls.
About the bikes I have not looked into. One bike from Delhi is a sure shot. Also, some Bangalore cars must be coming, no idea which.
Tweety bird, being as naughty as can be, tweeted that there would be about 80 to 100 cars + bikes in total, and that this could be the last Cartier event.

Anyone who knows of more entries please share.
The above list is part speculative, compiled with the help of circumstacial evidence.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 21st September 2012 at 12:49.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 13:37   #101
BHPian

Saw a 1930s (don't know year, or come to think of it not sure about the decade either) Mercedes being restored with new paint and all. A huge convertible that is apparently the only one in India. Another candidate for the show?
Have seen those in old war movies. Whose is it? And is there a post on that one somewhere? Since I don't now what to search for, would not be able to find it.
Old 21st September 2012, 13:41   #102
BHPian

Hi harit, Why should this be the last event? from what I gathered , Cartier were quite satisfied with the two shows held. Perhaps, we are running out of cars to invite?? I know of many worthy cars squirreled away which could be brought out, but Cartier should form some sort of an Indian sub committee to reach out to those elusive owners. As things stand, I believe only Manvinder gives them information. Knowledgeable as he is, I am sure even he may not know of all the cars in India. A committee to guide him may actually help. I personally know of a show stopper, one of its kind , in immaculate condition which has not been invited. Cartier would DROOL over that beauty.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 21st September 2012 at 13:47.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 14:41   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi harit, Why should this be the last event? from what I gathered , Cartier were quite satisfied with the two shows held. Perhaps, we are running out of cars to invite?? I know of many worthy cars squirreled away which could be brought out, but Cartier should form some sort of an Indian sub committee to reach out to those elusive owners. As things stand, I believe only Manvinder gives them information. Knowledgeable as he is, I am sure even he may not know of all the cars in India. A committee to guide him may actually help. I personally know of a show stopper, one of its kind , in immaculate condition which has not been invited. Cartier would DROOL over that beauty.
I don't know, it was just a guess.
What I had not mentioned before is that after the deadline of 31st August for submitting applications, the curator is still going around inviting cars. And some who did not apply, but he want them in, he is appealing to them personally. In all sense of fairness, it should be for applications to be processed, and thereafter, if there is a shortfall, look for more cars personally. Strange are the ways.

I also believe there are 2 X Bentleys from Pune selected.

Cheers harit
Old 21st September 2012, 17:15   #104
BHPian

Here I must agree. First look at the applications, then make good the shortfall, of course one takes into account that though a car may be invaluable to the owner, it may not fit Cartier's profile. I know of some Bentleys in Poona, but if I were to hazard a guess, Akalkot and Jeejeebhoy would be the ones invited. Jeejeebhoy could not make it earlier due to some mechanical issues, or so I was told. A lovely example of a much cared for MK 6, still in its original pink leather. In all this we have forgotten another car invited from Bombay. The mysore Invicta. A lovely car, but badly in need of some TLC.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 19:21   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
So which cars have been confirmed to participate? This is speculative, blame tweety for wrong info.
Cadillac, 2 X Buick, XK120 Delhi, at least 3 X Mercedes, 3 X MG's Rajasthan, Studebaker, Chrysler, 2 X MG's, Hudson, Packard RR (Elisabeth's), Minerva, Mumbai, Bentley, Chrysler, Napier(X 2?) Hyderabad, Bentley, RR Kalahandi, Orissa, RR Kolkata, RR and Mercedes of Rajkot.
For display non participating 5 Pranlal cars, and RR, Bentley which are coming second time. Maybe the Delahaye of Jodhpur, and the Nizam's Rolls.
About the bikes I have not looked into. One bike from Delhi is a sure shot. Also, some Bangalore cars must be coming, no idea which.
Tweety bird, being as naughty as can be, tweeted that there would be about 80 to 100 cars + bikes in total, and that this could be the last Cartier event.

Anyone who knows of more entries please share.
The above list is part speculative, compiled with the help of circumstacial evidence. Cheers harit
Can't help bit admire how plugged into the scene you are Harit - very connected. Very interested to see what comes of all this in the end. Best of luck to all of you.
Faster789 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks