Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:52   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Can't help bit admire how plugged into the scene you are Harit - very connected. Very interested to see what comes of all this ...............
Thanks for your kind words, Faster. After all this is my hobby. I am also wondering how this will go forward. I believe some Stalwards of the Cartier Event were here in Mumbai over the weekend, they should have decided the entries by now. But I have no news. The venue Turf club is fixed, and maybe Gallops will support the food.

Meanwhile VCCCI has been sending messages like this:

Dear Friends,
We are organizing the following events in 2012-2013:

1) Mumbai to Gondal: 19th, 20th & 21st October 2012

2) Pune Rally with Radisson: 22nd & 23rd December 2012

3) “Cartier”: 8th & 9th February 2013 in Mumbai

4) Annual Vintage Car Fiesta in Mumbai: Sunday,10th February 2013................... Further information on Entry form available on website: vccci.com Yours in Vintage Car Motoring, Nitin.G.Dossa President

So now the dates are official

Only applicants are waiting for a reply. We can see that VCCCI is hoping that Cartier cars will stay back for the VCCCI event to fulfill the Presidents zeal to have quality cars, and in numbers. All the best for that endeavor.

Meanwhile twee-tie told me that a Mumbai Adler has been selected, as well as an early Ford Thunderbird. (There are only 2 in India). There are surely more, will post when confirmed to me.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 14:46   #107
BHPian

Hi guys. Tweety bird just informed me that the head hunters of Cartier were in town a few days ago, guiding the chosen ones on the restorations and advising the owners on the do's and dont's. Colours, finishes etc were discussed and finalised. Of course the janta is yet to be informed about the status of their applications. And, strange that not a single team BHP member has recieved a confirmation? OR have they been requested to keep quiet??? I do know for a fact that some members were visited very recently and advised on the restorations , which is good. Their silence is however puzzling. Are prizes so very important???
Bulldogji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 15:04   #108
BHPian

Seems as if Pranlal's 8 litre Bentley is now coming, attempts are still on to persuade the owners of the other 8 litre to display, alas to no avail. Hyderabad and ahmedabad owners are being persuaded, a really Cartier worthy beauty from the south, recently approached, has politely declined. A La Salle, previously under my ownership , has not been considered, as yet. Attempts are also on to get a lovely Lancia from Bombay{ neither a lambda nor a di lambda} as well as the mysore Invicta. Attempts have also been made to persuade the cars from the Kotak collection to be displayed. I really hope Manvinder manages to get them to agree. Those cars have not been seen by todays youth for sure, being hidden away for thirty years or more. Meanwhile what is the fate of those who have sent in applications by mail? Complete silence. Friends I have spoken with, state that they have not got replies as yet. I wonder when they will??
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 16:02   #109
BHPian

I am given to understand that the Cartier team is on the final leg of their selection exercise, currently in South India. Once this is complete E Mail applicants will be informed about the status of their applications. Expect to hear from them therefore not before the end of october.
Old 16th October 2012, 21:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji
I am given to understand that the Cartier team is on the final leg of their selection exercise, currently in South India. Once this is complete E Mail applicants will be informed about the status of their applications. Expect to hear from them therefore not before the end of october.
That's great ! Hope to have an open list of cars participating but in general very late for yet selecting . That's what I feel but as mentioned earlier by many some privileged already have been informed so at least they are prepared than the rest.

Cheers
Old 17th October 2012, 10:16   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Seems as if Pranlal's 8 litre Bentley is now coming, attempts are still on to persuade the owners of the other 8 litre to display, alas to no avail. Hyderabad and ahmedabad owners are being persuaded, a really Cartier worthy beauty from the south, recently approached, has politely declined. A La Salle, previously under my ownership , has not been considered, as yet. Attempts are also on to get a lovely Lancia from Bombay{ neither a lambda nor a di lambda} as well as the mysore Invicta. Attempts have also been made to persuade the cars from the Kotak collection to be displayed. I really hope Manvinder manages to get them to agree. Those cars have not been seen by todays youth for sure, being hidden away for thirty years or more. Meanwhile what is the fate of those who have sent in applications by mail? Complete silence. Friends I have spoken with, state that they have not got replies as yet. I wonder when they will??
Some questions for you Bulldogji.

1. What cars from Hyderabad are being chased ?
2. What kind of Lancia from Mumbai are you talking about here
3. What Cartier worthy car from South has politely declined ?
4. What cars are in teh Kotak collection, never hear of them.

If you can answer here it will be great or would appreciate a PM if its to be kept silent
Old 17th October 2012, 11:34   #112
BHPian

Hi Wasif, Cars and bikes from the Pestonjee collection are being considered. Another prominent family with cars bought new by them and yet retained, in regular use, are also being persuaded to participate. Then there are owners with one or two lovely cars each , also being talked to. The Lancia in question is the Khan racing Lancia. The Cartier worthy car that declined, from the south, well , the owner wishes to remain incognito so we must respect his wishes. The Kotak collection comprises of Bentleys , Rolls royces, caddilacs, buicks and an amazing lot of Mercedes cars, apart others. Rarely seen but really nice cars. If those contacted agree, this edition of Cartier will display some previously unseen cars. I am also given to understand that the Karnataka vintage and classic car club has on behalf of its members, put forward a suggested list of cars for Cartier's consideration. Now thats the way a club should function. Madras, also home to some nice cars will hopefully send some.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 13:05   #113
BHPian

Hi, Has anyone heard from the shortlisting panel of 2013 Concours de elegance to be held in Mumbai? because i know a couple of owners who have applied and are waiting keenly to hear if their oldies have been selected for the show...
Old 17th October 2012, 16:38   #114
BHPian

Well, those who have applied via E Mail seem to have not got replies as yet. Others, personally selected and invited by Cartier, no E Mails required, are being guided on their restorations. Obviously those chosen few have a head start over the others. Certain selected cars are being given a makeover at a prominent garage in Indore. Some selected cars are those that have already been exhibited at the earlier shows. But then its all about connections. Commoners, stand in queue please. If there is place after the chosen ones are confirmed, your entries may be considered.
Old 18th October 2012, 00:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

The Lancia being chased for Cartier is probably the Astura. Sadly, she has mechanical issues. I have some doubt about the later model being mentioned, but you never know.
Tweetie mentioned something that will come as a great surprise. Some judges are likely to have Pebble Beach connections. If that is true, how can they associate themselves with an event being organised to biased and scewed? Specially when they saw how politics played by some completely spoilt the participation from India at their event? Well, they may see a re-run of Indian selection politics at this event.
In some other thread tweetie was discussed, what is it and how accurate. Some tweets which we refer to here are insider info which is reliable, and some is at best a guess based on circumstantial evidence. So far we have been quite accurate

As the selection drags on, we will have more and more fodder for the forum. And that's very sad.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 18th October 2012 at 00:10.
Old 18th October 2012, 07:07   #116
DKG
Senior - BHPian

If folks from Pebble Beach are going to be a part of Cartier it's a great piece of news for Indian owners.

The cars that got invited were all fabulous cars and if some didn't make it its the owners' loss. As we saw in pictures Doc and his family quite obviously had the time of their lives enjoying participating in Pebble Beach and I think for any auto enthusiast it's the ultimate achievement to be a part of PB.

So now if officials from PB are coming to India albeit as part of Cartier it's just the perfect platform for a new avenue opening up for some great cars that remain in India.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:58   #117
BHPian

Somewhere down the line we seem to have forgotten that the Cartier show is more of a lifestyle event than about cars. Therefore the judges would perhaps focus on styles/designs over anything else. Personally, if only we did away with judgeing, I feel everyone would be happier. Or judge style and design, nothing else. Pebble Beach cars I have always felt are a bit over the top. They were never meant to have the spit and polish that is seen there, but that is only my personal view, each to his own. Politics abound everywhere. An ordinary 20HP Rolls was given recognition by PB by way of an award. This was then given a lot of publicity out here, going even to the extent of saying that this car WON a prize, the only Indian entry to do so etc. If I recall the same Rolls was also rewarded for its participation at one of the Cartier shows. Why?? Its the profile of the owner that is the criteria. And those who know the history of this car will know what I am talking about. Many will know the stories about a particular Lady of royal lineage who would not spend a penny on her cars but insist that they be given the top prize. That was her condition which had to be agreed to before she consented to allow her cars to participate in rallies/shows. But then that is life. Those of us that enjoy seeing these beauties should stay out of the messy politics which ruin old friendships, and instead just go and admire the cars, of course if invited to do so.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:50   #118
Senior - BHPian

Bulldogji - Well summed and put together. Cheers

Enjoy the show is the first criteria with friends then the cars as they wont go anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Somewhere down the line we seem to have forgotten that the Cartier show is more of a lifestyle event than about cars. Therefore the judges would perhaps focus on styles/designs over anything else. Personally, if only we did away with judgeing, I feel everyone would be happier. Or judge style and design, nothing else. Pebble Beach cars I have always felt are a bit over the top. They were never meant to have the spit and polish that is seen there, but that is only my personal view, each to his own. Politics abound everywhere. An ordinary 20HP Rolls was given recognition by PB by way of an award. This was then given a lot of publicity out here, going even to the extent of saying that this car WON a prize, the only Indian entry to do so etc. If I recall the same Rolls was also rewarded for its participation at one of the Cartier shows. Why?? Its the profile of the owner that is the criteria. And those who know the history of this car will know what I am talking about. Many will know the stories about a particular Lady of royal lineage who would not spend a penny on her cars but insist that they be given the top prize. That was her condition which had to be agreed to before she consented to allow her cars to participate in rallies/shows. But then that is life. Those of us that enjoy seeing these beauties should stay out of the messy politics which ruin old friendships, and instead just go and admire the cars, of course if invited to do so.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th October 2012 at 14:01. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 24th October 2012, 12:00   #119
BHPian

Tweety bird says the search for sponsors is on and at least one sponsor has come on board. Now a pleasing 1947 buick convertible, possibly ex Travancore will be one of the stars of the show . Meanwhile the country search for cars to be invited continues, focus this month being on south India. SO, those who have applied via the E Mail route, well , the wait just became longer.
Old 24th October 2012, 17:43   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji
Tweety bird says the search for sponsors is on and at least one sponsor has come on board. Now a pleasing 1947 buick convertible, possibly ex Travancore will be one of the stars of the show . Meanwhile the country search for cars to be invited continues, focus this month being on south India. SO, those who have applied via the E Mail route, well , the wait just became longer.
Should I then say the resurrection prize heads towards there . The wait is indeed very long for email applicants and again say very very late

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks