Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 14:05   #121
BHPian

re: Third Cartier Concours d'Elegance: Feb 2013 in Mumbai (PICS on Page 19)

Kasli, you have a point. The buick was junk, and now a treat for the eyes. BUT, the Hudson, lying in a field in Jaipur, was un recognizable. Raju auto did the best they could to get the car running, and now with Manvinder doing the cosmetics, she should turn out very pleasing. Once the final list is out we will speculate on the probable awardees. Last two shows, I was spot on. I believe that a car selected by the curator, restored by him, irrespective of the work being paid for by Cartier, should not be competing for a prize. But then, People say I am old fashioned.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 26th October 2012 at 14:10.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:24   #122
Senior - BHPian

Bulldogji, I would like to add that the Hudson was fully assembled here in parts then sent for work to Jaipur then minds did not meet and dumped out for the owner to collect it. Raju Auto did a real fine job at WIAA and then show cased all over. While Buick was lifted and on it way disintegrated and has brought back to life by Jehangir and Marespand credit to them and then the owner for being very patient and supportive.

Cars done by the Curator of the show should not be judged as this really brings the conflict out. But as we have stated before is that the Show is on a level decided by cartier its their rules and stage.

Your judgement is quite accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Kasli, you have a point. The buick was junk, and now a treat for the eyes. BUT, the Hudson, lying in a field in Jaipur, was un recognizable. Raju auto did the best they could to get the car running, and now with Manvinder doing the cosmetics, she should turn out very pleasing. Once the final list is out we will speculate on the probable awardees. Last two shows, I was spot on. I believe that a car selected by the curator, restored by him, irrespective of the work being paid for by Cartier, should not be competing for a prize. But then, People say I am old fashioned.

Last edited by kasli : 26th October 2012 at 16:27.
Old 27th October 2012, 22:53   #123
Senior - BHPian

Bulldogji
What work was done by Raju auto. Was it mechanical or the woodframe work? I know that Sean had done most of the woodwork but it was not assembled, before he sold the car. But prior to that Soli uncles three sons who used it at different periods all worked on the car. I remember my Dad taking me there to their place in the late sixties. They even had a gantry at their place. It was opened up on three ocassions, however this car got saved since was parked in the closed garage opp their house in bandra then. We had lots of fun in that car. It even had an Al Capone connection. Will tell you about that someday when we meet at fort. But I always wondered why the hood ornament had 1926 inscribed on its back
Quote:
Whatever, hats off to raju and nitin for the ressurection of my family's Hudson. .
Quote:
BUT, the Hudson, lying in a field in Jaipur, was un recognizable. Raju auto did the best they could to get the car running, and now with Manvinder doing the cosmetics, she should turn out very pleasing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Bulldogji, I would like to add that the Hudson was fully assembled here in parts then sent for work to Jaipur then minds did not meet and dumped out for the owner to collect it.:
Old 29th October 2012, 12:28   #124
BHPian

Well, When the family sold the car, it was intact. Thereafter she was left outside and rapidly went downhill, till all that remained was scrap metal. I saw this in a field in jaipur and was shocked. A while later Nitin brought the bits and pieces back to bombay and his man friday, Raju, well he worked wonders on the pile of metal and reconverted it into a Hudson. I saw the car in bombay last year from a distance and was amazed at how she was brought back to life. Now with Manvender, she will be detailed and look very presentable. A worthy entrant for the Cartier 2013 show, and a surefire prize winner as well.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 13:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

My close friend had a chance to buy the Hudson. But he thought each time Sean come from Australia for a holiday he will ask to be allowed to drive it and then he wouldn't be able to say no. And if he gave it and someone used it badly then he would feel bad about it. What a blunder. By the way did you notice it had a Jeep fuel pump, fitted by Sean before he sold it. Very similar to the fiat ones. Originally it didn't have any mechanical pump. We had only one photo in our meeting place and it got ruined by moisture. I wonder what color it will be painted.

Quote:
Well, When the family sold the car, it was intact. Thereafter she was left outside and rapidly went downhill, till all that remained was scrap metal. I saw this in a field in jaipur and was shocked. .

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 29th October 2012 at 13:30.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:37   #126
Senior - BHPian

An interesting thing happened this morning, as I was waking up there was a knock on the window and guess what Tweety Bird had flown down to see me !

Am told that around 7/8 cars will be attending from bangalore including the Ex Mysore Daimler, not sure about KPS's Plymouth as yet !

The decision on the exact participanrt list should be known by end of this week.

Looking forward to sharing more tit bits from Tweety soon !
wasif is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:31   #127
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
An interesting thing happened this morning, as I was waking up there was a knock on the window and guess what Tweety Bird had flown down to see me !
Am told that around 7/8 cars will be attending from bangalore including the Ex Mysore Daimler, not sure about KPS's Plymouth as yet !
The decision on the exact participanrt list should be known by end of this week.
Looking forward to sharing more tit bits from Tweety soon !
Wasif your tweety bird is correct. I too understand that 3 cars including the Daimler and Humber have been chosen. Doc's 3-4 cars are guaranteed. Guess there is no interest on the Plymouth, but I for one will not complain, as it is their event and they can chose what suits them.

Cheers
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 12:06   #128
BHPian

Wasif, KPS, Hi. Months ago I had said that Doc was sending three cars. KPS, you had mentioned that your club had suggested some cars. Nice to know that these have been selected. As far as your Plymouth is concerned, a decision on all applicants via the E mail route is yet to be taken. After all the selected cars are confirmed, those who applied via mail will be considered. So your Plymouth may still make it. It is a very interesting car, BUT this being a lifestyle show, well , lets wait and see. Tweety bird tells me that the entire process of inviting cars will be completed by the first week of december, so your wait just got a little bit longer. Tweety also informs that selected cars will have their transportation costs borne by Cartier, whereas the Mail applicants will have to bear their own costs and logistics. VCCCI will be involved in helping those that wish, you have to get in touch after you receive a formal invite. You will have to decide if you are keen enough to manage logistics, and of course the cost. Hopefully your plymouth will make it , and we will get a chance to see a nicely restored, rare { at least in India} car.
Old 1st November 2012, 22:01   #129
BHPian

Doc confirms 4 of his cars have been invited - Sunbeam 1918, Healey 1958, Graham & Wolseley.
dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 23:24   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator
Doc confirms 4 of his cars have been invited - Sunbeam 1918, Healey 1958, Graham & Wolseley.
Which Graham he has two , a tourer and sedan

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 1st November 2012 at 23:40.
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:11   #131
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Which Graham he has two , a tourer and sedan

Cheers
If you are talking of the blue tourer, she is a Graham Paige. The Graham is a sedan which came from Mumbai/Delhi and was in the Taj West End Rally.
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:26   #132
Senior - BHPian

Thanks aware of the two models . As just Graham was written so wanted some clarification.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
If you are talking of the blue tourer, she is a Graham Paige. The Graham is a sedan which came from Mumbai/Delhi and was in the Taj West End Rally.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:04   #133
BHPian

Finally the first confirmation of four cars selected by Manvendra. Bangalore apparently has got three other cars selected, making a known total of seven. At least Fourteen cars from Bombay have also been selected , including a Hudson. Phantom, silver wraith, Bentley, Studebaker, Chrysler, Lancia, Invicta 20/25 Rolls etc. Pranlals 8 litre Bentley and 540K though selected, the owners are yet undecided, but in all probability they will be shown.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:39   #134
BHPian

Tweety bird tells me that Cartier has not yet been able to confirm the turf club venue. I wonder what the back up venue will be like?
Old 12th November 2012, 14:54   #135
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Ronnie Khan Bentley appearing at Cartier? Its such an awesome car and must be shown to the public.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks