Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 11:59   #61
BHPian

re: Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.

New problem:
Supposing I have found a car, can I actually register it on my name?
The people at Tata have told me that foreigners are not allowed to buy cars. Hmmm?
Considering I have rented a flat, am registered at the FRRO and have both a work visa and contract by an Indian company, it seems strange to me.
Would that apply to a vintage car too?
I tried to check on the net, but as usual the answers are either unclear or simply wrong. So, please help, yet again!
Old 4th December 2012, 16:45   #62

How odd. I would have thought that foreigners would have no problem buying cars? Is this true? What a does a foreigner in India do if not.
Old 4th December 2012, 17:11   #63
BHPian

Well,buying a car and registering it are two different things. Daniel, your best bet would be to contact the WIAA at churchgate, or your local RTO, Tardeo I assume.Of course you could take the easy way out by borrowing one of Karls beauties, or if Harit permits, his ambassador.
Old 7th December 2012, 17:44   #64
BHPian

Hello Bulldogji, you know I am a stubborn one. Seems I found a way if I really want to register a car in my name. It is a rather "Italian" way, hm hm.
However, it might not be necessary, as a joint buy could come up....
Will keep the distinguished audience posted:-)
Old 7th December 2012, 18:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos View Post
New problem:
Supposing I have found a car, can I actually register it on my name?
The people at Tata have told me that foreigners are not allowed to buy cars. Hmmm?
Considering I have rented a flat, am registered at the FRRO and have both a work visa and contract by an Indian company, it seems strange to me.
Would that apply to a vintage car too?
I tried to check on the net, but as usual the answers are either unclear or simply wrong. So, please help, yet again!
If you have come to India on a TOR [Transfer of Residence] or on a long term [3years] work visa you are entitled to purchase a car and register it in India. However you will not be allowed to repatirate the sale price if you sell it when you leave. The rules are stupid its true, but then what else could you expect here???
If you are a member of the Automobile Assocation anywhere in the world then the local AA office will be able to assist you in getting any car purchased registered in your name. Or you could join the AA here itself.
By the way I have seen a very nice 1970 Amby for sale in Coimbatore ..and will follow up on it if you are interested. It has the original petrol engine and seems to be in fair nick.
If you are interested I'll take a test drive ,get all the details and let you know the price etc.
Collector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 11:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
If you have come to India on a TOR [Transfer of Residence] or on a long term [3years] work visa you are entitled to purchase a car and register it in India. However you will not be allowed to repatirate the sale price if you sell it when you leave. The rules are stupid its true, but then what else could you expect here???
If you are a member of the Automobile Assocation anywhere in the world then the local AA office will be able to assist you in getting any car purchased registered in your name. Or you could join the AA here itself.
By the way I have seen a very nice 1970 Amby for sale in Coimbatore ..and will follow up on it if you are interested. It has the original petrol engine and seems to be in fair nick.
If you are interested I'll take a test drive ,get all the details and let you know the price etc.
Hello there! How good to get some well informed advice, thank you! I am not here on TOR and have only a 1 year Visa, but I have help now by other expats and should be able to find a way out.
Also, it is VERY kind of you to offer looking at the Ambassador for me. I realise that quite a few good cars seem to be for sale in the South, but as I am trying to get something close by I will have to skip your kind offer. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't have a look at it, you might like it :-)
Old 21st January 2013, 18:29   #67
BHPian

Ciao friends,

your Italian in Bombay has finally got a car! I have to thank you all for the kind advice and help but the biggest thank goes to KARL, who has been a gift sent from Mother Nature (or Mother Fuel?) and not only found me THE car I wanted, he also took care of the whole buying process, papers, headakes, found me a cool English speaking mechanic, moral and psychological advice ecc ecc ;-)

To cut a long story short, it is a 1965 Mark II Hindustan Motors Ambassador in decent shape. Many of the original features are missing, so I need YOUR help to find two correct rear lights and a number plate light, the beautiful original instrument cluster, the correct Mark II front grille and other small bits and pieces. Some initial work has been done to get the car working fine and it drives me to work daily now.
I know the car is not superb, but please be kind in your criticism, I LOVE IT!!!

Drove my first right hand, column gearshift car in Bombay rush hour from Opera House to Lower Parel in 35 minutes. It must have been my grin that got the other drivers to move out of the way, as the horn didn't work, haha.
Here some pictures:

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-01.jpg

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-02.jpg

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-03.jpg

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-04.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd January 2013 at 10:31. Reason: Uploading images in JPEG format.
Philedonos is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 18:56   #68
BHPian

Hey Philedonos
Congratulation to you !!

In this modern day of Automatic Climate Control, Kudos to you for driving the Amby around. That too with your own private Fan Built in

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 22:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Ciao friends,

your Italian in Bombay has finally got a car!
Hi Philedonos, can you please upload the pictures in JPEG format? Since the attachments are in .zip format, I'm unable to view them.

Thank you!
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:36   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ciao friends,

your Italian in Bombay has finally got a car!
Congratulations Ambywalla, you are now initiated. Glad the car is doing well. She is really light on the controls, much better than both my Ambys. Lucky guy!

I would suggest you remove some of the 'ornamentation' like the side plastic rub strips on the bumpers, maybe some of the lights? Luckily you have the original steeting wheel with delicate steel spokes and horn ring etc working well. I think I have a number plate light lying around, let me check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hi Philedonos, can you please upload the pictures in JPEG format? Since the attachments are in .zip format, I'm unable to view them.
Have made the change.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd January 2013 at 10:47.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Your car is quite nice. Black was the favourite colour for Ambys in that era.The conversion to Mark3 has come good and my advice is never even attempt to make further upgrade to mark 4 and all. Find original MarkII grill and park lamps and also the wiper arrangement.
I see that the steering , the ignition cum light switch, pedals and ashtray are originals. the later gen instruments are mounted on the area where there is glove box in those period. Bumpers with that slot for the cranking lever is also original. The sun visor is an add on accessory then and is period.
Is the AC in working condition and which engine powers your car? Please post pictures of the engine bay when you get time.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd January 2013 at 11:25. Reason: addition and correction
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Come Stai ? Philedonos
You decided to pick a Phaidon Design classic, yes can you believe the Phaidon Design classic list actually has the Mark 2 Amby listed as a collectible design classic with the likes of the Tolpolino, mini, 500 etc.

I think it looks like a nice solid car just clean it up a bit ie take all the unnecessary stuff off. Get Armani to do the interiors and you shall be fine (just like the Gucci 500). will post a page from the Phaidon design classic app a little later to get you inspired. Might as well also invest in signed and numbered Raghu Rai iconic image of the Red ambassador while your at it :-)
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:09   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
In this modern day of Automatic Climate Control, Kudos to you for driving the Amby around. That too with your own private Fan Built in
Haha, actually I still have to understand how to start the fan. And although there is no a/c there seems to be much heating! Never had a car which got my feet so hot, have to look into that immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
She is really light on the controls, much better than both my Ambys. Lucky guy!
I would suggest you remove some of the 'ornamentation' like the side plastic rub strips on the bumpers, maybe some of the lights? Luckily you have the original steeting wheel with delicate steel spokes and horn ring etc working well. I think I have a number plate light lying around, let me check.
True, it is a very pleasant car to drive. On my way to work I love racing it up Tulsi Pipe Rd. An Italian remains an Italian after all :-) Will start the "removal" tomorrow. Until now I just removed original 1965 dust from the inside of the car, washed it and removed the seat covers. How is your Landmaster coming allong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The conversion to Mark3 has come good and my advice is never even attempt to make further upgrade to mark 4 and all. Find original MarkII grill and park lamps and also the wiper arrangement.
I see that the steering , the ignition cum light switch, pedals and ashtray are originals. the later gen instruments are mounted on the area where there is glove box in those period. Bumpers with that slot for the cranking lever is also original. The sun visor is an add on accessory then and is period.
Is the AC in working condition and which engine powers your car? Please post pictures of the engine bay when you get time.
The A/C mechanism is not there and I wil remove the facia on the dashboard as soon as I find original instruments. The engine is the original 1500ccm petrol one, and goes very well. It has the SU carburettor. Will post pictures asap so you can help me with advise on what to change/remove please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Come Stai ? Get Armani to do the interiors and you shall be fine (just like the Gucci 500).
Ciao bello :-)
I am doing very well and George the greyhound LOVES the back of the Ambassador, as it is so soft. The seats and door pannels are covered in brown rexine which iis in splendid condition, so I will leave it as it is. But I need insulation on the floor and have to have new rugs done. Does anyone have any pictures of an ORIGINAL interior of a mid 60ies Ambassador? What was the material used and what colours existed?
Philedonos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:01   #74

Happy to hear you got yourself the car you wanted mate. Running old cars like we do is difficult and sometimes I am grateful that it's my clients and not me!
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:53   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never had a car which got my feet so hot, have to look into that immediately.
The heat is one of the elements which are the real fun of owning an Amby which is to be really enjoyed.

Quote:
The engine is the original 1500ccm petrol one, and goes very well. It has the SU carburettor. Will post pictures asap so you can help me with advise on what to change/remove please.
Do not throw off the SU carburetor.

Quote:
But I need insulation on the floor and have to have new rugs done. Does anyone have any pictures of an ORIGINAL interior of a mid 60ies Ambassador? What was the material used and what colours existed?
The Amby, in those days came with a mere rubber mat and buyers used to put thicker coir mats which were so common in those days atop it. The issue with them is that if wet it emanates a foul smell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks