Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 21:36   #31
BHPian

re: Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos
, can't PM you though, as you need to be an old, wise, probably royal member to get this function enabled
Actually you need to post 25 messages and then you get upgraded to bhpian and can post Pm's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
philedonos , while driving around town, i have noticed that there is a suitable car - a 1950s black landmaster - mumbai regd "BJY 10" , however parked at a car dealer's place opposite to Hotel Harsha in shivajinagar at bangalore , thats mostly for sale . interested ?
Just in case Daniel is not interested in the Landy I certainly AM!!!! Could you please inquire 1] if it has the original sidevalve engine and 2] the price and let me know??? Of course only after Daniel decides if he is interested or not.
Thanks

Last edited by Collector : 1st November 2012 at 21:44.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:05   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
philedonos , while driving around town, i have noticed that there is a suitable car - a 1950s black landmaster - mumbai regd "BJY 10" , however parked at a car dealer's place opposite to Hotel Harsha in shivajinagar at bangalore , thats mostly for sale . interested ?
If it is the same car I think it is, it is BYJ 18, not BYJ 10, which would probably be Nagpur registered, though could be later transfered anywhere in Maharashtra. It was a nice car, though needing attention to interiors and paint. Engine was a later OHV.
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Vinay! Very kind of you indeed. However, I will have to look for a car in Bombay or close by, as I can't travel around too much to look at cars' condition, not much time off work....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Just in case Daniel is not interested in the Landy I certainly AM!!!! Could you please inquire 1] if it has the original sidevalve engine and 2] the price and let me know??? Of course only after Daniel decides if he is interested or not.
Thanks
Hello Collector, I guess you should go and see it if you are close by, at least to find out the state the cars is in and its price. Please keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If it is the same car I think it is, it is BYJ 18, not BYJ 10, which would probably be Nagpur registered, though could be later transfered anywhere in Maharashtra. It was a nice car, though needing attention to interiors and paint. Engine was a later OHV.
Ka This is why, by Royal appointment, you have been chosen as the advisor to our Household: you seem to know EVERY car on the Subcontinent As soon as you are back from Pune, I'd like to show you the Humber....
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:43   #34
BHPian

Hi Daniel, Is the Humber painted silver, including the bumpers? A very shabby car, known to me from the time it was with the first owner. If I recall a super snipe . If its the same car, its been on sale for over two years . Price? well , thats really for the buyer and seller to decide, not for me to comment.
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:08   #35
BHPian

There used to be a Humber Hawk (Series 1 ? ... two tone - cream and maroon, I think) parked on the main road outside Peacock Palace building (opposite the old American Consulate at Breach candy) a few months back. For the monsoons, it got a blue plastic sheet tied over it's roof / windows.

I haven't seen the car recently, although I haven't actively looked for it.

Perhaps Daniel saw this car ...

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Daniel, Is the Humber painted silver, including the bumpers? A very shabby car, known to me from the time it was with the first owner. If I recall a super snipe . If its the same car, its been on sale for over two years . Price? well , thats really for the buyer and seller to decide, not for me to comment.
Hello, the Humber is indeed silver but the bumbers are still chromed, or so I recall. It isn't a Super Snipe (I wish) but a Hawk, Mark III as far as I know my Humbers and very original in its bodywork (haven't seen the mechanics, though). The state dind't really seem shabby, not very good either, alas. It is Bombay registered.
Regarding the price, I have been told a figure far too high, will use the Indian looks, savoir faire (he he) and expert knowledge of Karl to find out what the real negotiable price would be (Karl, as you see, this is not an invitation, more of an order!). If we get to know a realistic figure I will divulge it over the net, no worries. Have never been secretive about costs in Europe, don't see why I should be here.
Hence, like with the Ambassador for sale mentioned a few post ahead, someone else might take my place, I am not jealous of cars...until they are mine.
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:56   #37
BHPian

Hi Daniel, It could well be a hawk, memory fades with age. IF silver, with silver painted bumpers, bombay registered, its the same car. Used to belong to Sir Cowasji Jehangir( readymoney] . Was in regular use till sold a few years ago. Mechanicals were in reasonable state, brakes however have always been an issue, so check it out. My advice? Have the car thoroughly checked by a mechanic used to repairing these cars , get a list of work to be done and cost, and use that in your negotiations. The body was badly corroded, superficially patched up, and repainted over and over again, so expect an expense there as well. OF COURSE, PRESUMING WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME HUMBER. All the best and hope you clinch the deal.
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
I guess this is the car you speak of?

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-humber15.jpg

Here is it in 2007 in black and silver.

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-humber01.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
There used to be a Humber Hawk (Series 1 ? ... two tone - cream and maroon, I think) parked on the main road outside Peacock Palace building (opposite the old American Consulate at Breach candy) a few months back. For the monsoons, it got a blue plastic sheet tied over it's roof / windows.
Not cream and maroon, but cream and dark green. I also would see it sometimes at KEM hospital.

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-07.jpg

Quote:
Hello, the Humber is indeed silver but the bumbers are still chromed, or so I recall.
So then elementary my dear Traction, this should probably be the car.

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-01.jpgDaily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-03.jpg

Looks ok, but no great shakes. Be prepared for a major work I would think (to have it performing the way you want), but of course thats just gut feeling looking at the pictures.
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:13   #39
BHPian

Don't mean to discourage you, but an Air-conditioner in a car is no longer a luxury in Mumbai - its a necessity. The heat, dust and pollution will drive you crazy, especially in bumper to bumper traffic in Parel and Prabhadevi. And its not just May, Mumbai is like that 11 months a year.
I own several old beauties and the idea of using them as daily drives has often occurred to me, especially when I see bulldogji enjoying his cars, but a few minutes in the heat and a soaked shirt brings me back to reality very quickly.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:53   #40
BHPian

Hello Manishk123, I agree with you. Were it not for the fact that once you adore something you tend to forget the downsides :-) I have spent all my last summers in a black Traction Avant, driving all through Europe in torrid heat. No additional fan for the car and obviously no airconditioning for the owner either.
In Mumbai of course you have the heat AND humidity, which makes it even more difficult. Plus I wear a jacket and tie every day.
However, as I am taking some crappy Fiat taxi every day, I might as well get a good Fiat myself. Seems like rational thinking to me. Improvements step by step, he he.
Now, to all distinguished members of this Forum: do I REALLY have to date my 85 year old Parsi lady neighbour or is there another way to lay my hands on a good Fiat/Ambassador. Come on, I see one in every second road, there must be a good one for sale in Mumbai.
HELP a foreigner in need ;-)
Philedonos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 15:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1009854

Attachment 1009858
This is an Ex-British Embassy car and was regularly driven by the CG in late 80's. The last owner I knew owns couple of other beauties and one amongst them is a beautifully restored Standard Flying 10. Swady motors had carried out the restoration work and I have had the pleasure of being driven in this beauty which also won the best restoration prize in one of the VCCCI events.
Old 19th November 2012, 15:48   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
This is an Ex-British Embassy car and was regularly driven by the CG in late 80's. The last owner I knew owns couple of other beauties and one amongst them is a beautifully restored Standard Flying 10. Swady motors had carried out the restoration work and I have had the pleasure of being driven in this beauty which also won the best restoration prize in one of the VCCCI events.
If it is a Flying Standard restored at Swadi I think it is a Flying 14, and not Flying 10. A much larger car than the 10, it certainly looked great.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
If it is a Flying Standard restored at Swadi I think it is a Flying 14, and not Flying 10. A much larger car than the 10, it certainly looked great.
Yes you are right Karl it is indeed Standard flying 14. Below is link of the article written by someone who has the exact spelling as yours and the feature was covered on the official UK site of Standarmotoclub.

http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/...s/bombay14.htm
Old 19th November 2012, 16:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1009854

Attachment 1009858
Some more pictures of the same car
Attached Thumbnails
Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscn1755.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscn1759.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscn1758.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscn1763.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscn1756.jpg  

Daily Mumbai traffic in a classic? - Yes! Ambassador bought and restored.-dscn1754.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2012, 16:36   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I know you prefer a classic but how about a air conditioned Nano? Would be the perfect commute

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks