Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 08:12   #2116
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Willys Station Wagon fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Not to mention the front wheel fenders, which are also some later Mahindra affair I guess? [/left]
The front fenders seem to've been scratch built by a sheet metal tinkerer.
He's even conjured up an MM-540esque molding line around the sidemarker reflector ( In India, Mahindra wired the sidemarkers into the turn-signal circuit )

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-willyswagonfendermutilation.jpg

Wonder why somebody would go through so much hard work, only to end up with something so quintessentially grotesque.

IMHO the art deco original peaked fenders (a Brooks Stevens design) were lovely and appropriate for the vehicle and matching the peaked hood and V-shaped grille.

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-wiillyswagonfenders.jpg

Last edited by Ram : 16th June 2009 at 08:16.
Old 16th June 2009, 08:23   #2117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock View Post
Could you explain please? What is meant by "kirloskar" and "qualis" engine? This 1956 model here in the USA would have had a base 6 cylinder, flathead, inline engine of 230 inches and 130 horsepower and would have had options up to the 315 inch hemi head v-8 with a single four barrel.
"Kirloskar" was the brand name of a popular Diesel engine here that was designed mostly for agricultural vehicles. Unfortunately, most classic American cars here in India, on changing hands, ended up getting a cuban treatment with their original petrol (gasoline) engines replaced with noisy Diesel ones, for fuel economy!
"Qualis" is an MUV, Toyota Qualis, quite popular here:

toyota qualis - Google Image Search=

There are quite a number of such "Dieselised" yank tanks here. Someone else had posted pics. of a Buick 8 with a Tata commercial light-truck engine, in another thread.
And here's a '55 Plymouth Belvedere that I'd known junking away in the corner of a workshop, finally bought by a friend as a parts car. It'd been fitted with a "Perkins 4" Diesel motor that was made for commercial vehicles:

Last edited by Stanher : 16th June 2009 at 08:30.
Old 16th June 2009, 09:44   #2118
BHPian

Thanks for a great & valuable information Ram.
Cheers,
Hrishikesh
Old 16th June 2009, 12:06   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
"Kirloskar" was the brand name of a popular Diesel engine here that was designed mostly for agricultural vehicles. Unfortunately, most classic American cars here in India, on changing hands, ended up getting a cuban treatment with their original petrol (gasoline) engines replaced with noisy Diesel ones, for fuel economy!
"Qualis" is an MUV, Toyota Qualis, quite popular here:

There are quite a number of such "Dieselised" yank tanks here. Someone else had posted pics. of a Buick 8 with a Tata commercial light-truck engine, in another thread.
And here's a '55 Plymouth Belvedere that I'd known junking away in the corner of a workshop, finally bought by a friend as a parts car. It'd been fitted with a "Perkins 4" Diesel motor that was made for commercial vehicles:
A number of American Yank Tanks were dieselised. If the car is nice and complete, it may be worth to buy such cars and hunt for an engine. And engines do come up, I have access to a 1951 Chevy engine, a Hudson engine and gearbox and an overhauled Cadillac V8 engine of around 1970.
One has to be careful when takling a dieselised car. Very often these cars were rattled into disintegration by the vibrations of the diesel engine.

Cheers harit
Old 16th June 2009, 13:18   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
One has to be careful when takling a dieselised car. Very often these cars were rattled into disintegration by the vibrations of the diesel engine.

Cheers harit
Apart from various nicks and cuts made in the frame / transmission tunnel to accomodate the Diesel
Old 16th June 2009, 15:25   #2121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A number of American Yank Tanks were dieselised. If the car is nice and complete, it may be worth to buy such cars and hunt for an engine. And engines do come up, I have access to a 1951 Chevy engine, a Hudson engine and gearbox and an overhauled Cadillac V8 engine of around 1970.
Someone (I think trammway) had posted pics. of a '51/52 chevy for sale, with a Diesel engine. But the car was otherwise complete and decent. This engine could be useful enough for him should he buy it!
Old 16th June 2009, 15:48   #2122
BHPian

Yes Stanher, but the owner wants 5L for that Chevy
Old 16th June 2009, 18:40   #2123
Senior - BHPian

There is a nice Dieselized Chevy Impala RHD available. The guy was so considerate that he even kept the top. The front glass is cracked. Not very expensive, only 1.25L. It used to be a 4-door sedan.
The engine fitted was from a Matador. See the ingenious arrangement fot the gear lever. I love this piece of engineering. The only reason for NOT buying this is that I have a genuine convertible, otherwise I would still NOT buy it. The photo was so nice, I could not resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-geared.jpg  

Old 17th June 2009, 01:02   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Harit is this an Impala or a Biscayne? Does it bear the number MRY 7602??
Old 17th June 2009, 01:22   #2125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Harit is this an Impala or a Biscayne? Does it bear the number MRY 7602??
Sirji, 1965 Impala with three tailights on the boot, registered in Kerala.
Old 17th June 2009, 14:59   #2126
BHPian

A Vespa 150 disintegrating @ Pune !!!
Headlights, gauges are original; still has a Piaggio Logo but tail light has been replaced by Bajaj chetak one.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02855-large.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dsc02856-large.jpg  

Old 18th June 2009, 10:29   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
A Vespa 150 disintegrating @ Pune !!!
Headlights, gauges are original; still has a Piaggio Logo but tail light has been replaced by Bajaj chetak one.
That appears to be a 67-68 model. In Pune till around 2-3 years back I would see around 15-20 everyday - I am not exaggerating. They've mostly dissappeared now.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:47   #2128
BHPian

This Vespa is from Sahakar Nagar (No.-2) area, Tulashibaugvale Colony.
The owner now lives in US, comes here after around 2-3 days !!!
If he is going to sell it, I am definitely going for it.
Old 18th June 2009, 22:36   #2129
BHPian

this car has been lying here for the past 8 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag0071.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag0072.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-imag0073.jpg  

Old 18th June 2009, 22:50   #2130
Senior - BHPian

is this a ford prefect??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks